Author Topic: Microsoft E-Learning rant  (Read 2442 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Microsoft E-Learning rant
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:48:24 AM »
So .. I am just finishing up the C# Microsoft E-Learning module ($349 if you have to buy it) and it was listed as an aide for folks with an intermediate knowledge of C#

After the several hours going through the material, I must say that if I had actually purchased this class, I would have been quite upset at the learning level it provided, especially considering the cost to take it.

I am also a bit unnerved by the reference material and the associated documentation, not to mention the obvious disconnect between what the documentation says and what it actually requires you to do ...

For example ...

The material specifies that you should import the various namespaces to keep from having to type copious amounts of code ... i.e.
using System; etc ... and then the built in checker forces you to type it and identifies it as wrong if you don't.

The material says
In the OrderItemControl, create a public property named OrderProductControlName that returns a String and gets and sets the Text property of the ProductNameComboBox.

Now, knowing I am working in C# I start out with
Code: [Select]
public string OrderProductControlName
{
    get
    {
        return ProductNameComboBox.Text;
    }
    set
    {
        ProductNameComboBox.Text = value;
    }
}

Of course it looks right to me, the compiler compiles it correctly and it works ... BUT ... it is marked as wrong. WHY? you might ask ..
well, I am glad you asked .. it is because answer key says it should be coded like so:

Public Property OrderProductName() As String
    Get
         Return ProductNameComboBox.Text
    End Get
    Set(ByVal Value As String)
         ProductNameComboBox.Text = Value
    End Set
End Property

I am like WTF ... how in the heck did they key a VB solution to a C# course ...

And finally, the course says in the instructions:
When using a typed dataset, you can access the associated table as a property of that dataset, so instead of using
StoreSalesDataSet1.Tables["sales"]
you can use
StoreSalesDataSet1.sales

Ok, great .. except the documentation requires that you do it one way in function A and the other way in function B ... seriously, make up my mind already ... either shorthand or longhand ... pick one, I don't care which.

and the labs ... they should seriously consider improving the resolution ... 800x600 doesn't cut it when the application you are building defaults to 1024x768 and you can't even access half the controls on it ... its no wonder people can't make heads or tails out of the education they get from these things ... it is only marginally useful ... after doing a couple labs, I finally just gave up on them and figured I would finalize the course without having completed them ... there doesn't seem to be any issue for not doing them ... at least it doesn't count against you like it would in a regular classroom.

but alas, the paperwork will do wonders for those who fumble through the incoherencies ... I'm glad I'll finish it up later today ...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Microsoft E-Learning rant
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:52:12 AM »

Perhaps the people who wrote the course would be interested in hearing your opinion.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:06:38 AM »
that is an option I have considered ... however, seeing as how this didn't cost me anything but time, because it was through the Elevate America program, complaining might be akin to the old saying "looking a gift horse in the mouth"

I am honestly thankful for the opportunity, but there seems to be some serious issues with the course material that those without a strong background already might find difficult to deal with.

I think I'll sleep on it and reconsider tomorrow.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:33:07 AM »

So you're prepared to complain to us about it but not prepared to notify someone who IS in a position to do something about it.

I haven't done any of the Microsoft e-Learning Modules other than a couple of the free ones, so I'm not in a position to comment further.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
Well, like I said, it was free to me ... and since it was free, complaining about the quality of the program may come across as being ungrateful ... after giving it some more thought, I am going to notify the administrators of the program that this particular module isn't up to par.

and since you asked, my complaint here was not only a rant, but also a warning to those who may decide to actually purchase this program. For $349 it certainly isn't worth it .. now on the other hand, it was well worth what I paid ... and as we have been told many times, you get what you pay for ...