Author Topic: How do you tag your storefront?  (Read 5583 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
How do you tag your storefront?
« on: July 19, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
For the Archies out there.

How do you tag your storefront?  Do you treat it as a door? or as window?  Both?  Or whatever feels good at the moment?

We are having a "little" debate about it so I was curious as to what others do or have done.
One thing that I am sure of, I am tired of the inconsistency.  Sigh 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: How do you tag your storefront?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
I have generally tagged it as a window ..... the only reason is because it is full glass ... unless it is a door only ... then I tag it as a glass door ...

The only real concern I have had isn't the nomenclature, since the callouts will certainly ensure the proper item is installed, but for the HVAC calculations it becomes important to know the glazed area and distinguish it from other types of fenestrations, as a full glass door typically has a different thermal value than a plate glass window.

of course, if the storefront is inside an enclosed area such as a mall, then that point is irrelevant ...

Why not argue over the thickness of the glazing or whether it should be impact resistant .. those kinds of questions are much easier to answer ;-)
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »
I have generally tagged it as a window ..... the only reason is because it is full glass ... unless it is a door only ... then I tag it as a glass door ...

That is how we have approached it in the past.  but when you have multi-sided piece of storefront with a door in one side.  Is it all tagged as glass or is it tagged all as a door system.  That is the part I having a hard time with.  All sides are tied together, thus it is a system or a assembly.   Heck it can be tagged as wall partition too since glass block is treated as such.
 :-(
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »
Well, I generally err on the side of too much information, particularly if it is to keep the contractor on the right track for what they need to install.

I think the fact that all the sides are tied together is irrelevant. Considering that every wall (regardless of material) is attached to something. I think at this point, I would be looking at whether this assembly is manufactured as such by a single vendor. If so, then it is likely the vendor will be given specifications or instructions seperately from the plans. If this is the case, then why not simply label it as a "Storefront Assembly" and then give the specifics in the fenestration schedule.

I suppose it isn't a simple proposition, but I suspect I would label a multi-sided front on each side with the label that is most fitting for that subassembly ... i.e. glass or door ... and then spell out the spec's in the schedule.

I don't think there is a wrong way (except maybe not labelling it at all) as long as the contractor is 100% sure what it is supposed to be.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »
is KRYLON a good answer   :wink
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 04:54:23 PM »
is KRYLON a good answer   :wink

heh .. KRYLON is never a good answer ... talk about crap products .. there are much better products available  :wink: