Author Topic: $$$ files  (Read 8626 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
$$$ files
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:56:05 AM »
Our server is only 60GB and is rapidly running out of storage space. We have been told we cannot have a new one until our housekeeping is better. :(

Whilst working on a scheme I noticed some .$$$ files. What are they, and can they be deleted? They are typically taking up between 5000 kb and 25000 kb.

Is there anyone out there with a list of files which Autocad users produce that can/should be deleted.

I currently delete .bak, .bk*, .sv$, plot.log and .ac$.

Thanks for your input
Tracey
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

TR

$$$ files
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 10:58:50 AM »

hudster

• Gator
$$$ files
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 11:42:39 AM »
60GB that is luxury.

our server is so old we only have 30GB in total, 5 No 6GB drives in a raid configuration.
Although, we are getting a new server in the new year.

We actually ran out of space last week, so I have 3 gig of information located on my computer as a temporary measure till the new server arrives.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

CADaver

$$$ files
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
60Gb as in SIXTY ????  My local drive is 80Gb.  Sixty wouldn't hold half of one project.  We have 6 - 140GB storage servers and 1 - 140 application server.

M-dub

$$$ files
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 01:21:04 PM »
Show off!  ;)  :twisted:

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
$$$ files
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 01:34:53 PM »
More OT, sorry.

So do you guys have someone (read IT person) working for your company that sets up and maintains your servers? I have been playing with the idea of offering "long distance" admin services to small companies that don't want full time IT people so I'm fishing a little. :D
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

AfricaAD

$$$ files
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 01:56:22 PM »
I am trying to get more server space & another server in our office. My goal is to use the other server for plotting & for lower traffic space (archives, temp space, etc.). Although we just got 7 new PC's, a new plotter after the new year, & other upgrades, I doubt a new server will be arriving anytime soon.

CADaver

$$$ files
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »
Quote from: M-dub
Show off!  ;)  :twisted:
Yes, and arrogant as well  :wink:

M-dub

$$$ files
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 02:18:50 PM »
A while back, I posted something about file types that are associated with AutoCAD....

Here it is...
http://theswamp.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2892

Don't know if it'll help you at all...

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
$$$ files
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 04:39:53 AM »
60Gb as in SIXTY ???? My local drive is 80Gb. Sixty wouldn't hold half of one project. We have 6 - 140GB storage servers and 1 - 140 application server.

Yes thats 60GB and there are approx 40 users and of those about half are cad users :? .
I have got to the point where i have to delete .bak files each week to stop the network from falling.
What other files can be deleted.

Thanks for your help
Tracey

CADaver

$$$ files
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 08:40:11 AM »
Quote from: jonesy
60Gb as in SIXTY ???? My local drive is 80Gb. Sixty wouldn't hold half of one project. We have 6 - 140GB storage servers and 1 - 140 application server.

Yes thats 60GB and there are approx 40 users and of those about half are cad users :? .
I have got to the point where i have to delete .bak files each week to stop the network from falling.
What other files can be deleted.

Thanks for your help
Tracey

"YOIKES!"  That's less than 2Gb per user.  You need server space... BAD.  It is astoundingly cheaper to buy and install more space than it is to try and micro-manage a grossly under-sized system.  

I mean, geez-Louise, a 320Gb hard-drive is under $500.00 HERE . Getting one installed, up and running should be under $1000 TOTAL including all manhours.  That would pay itself the first week.

t-bear

$$$ files
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 08:49:22 AM »
approx 40 users and of those about half are cad users

Anything that belongs to "the other" half.... :roll:  :wink:

Sounds like you've covered 'bout everything from a CAD standpoint.  Have you looked into duplicate or unnecissary (SP?) files/folders from the other departments? What about moving some information to local stations?  Legacy stuff????? If needed, it could be accessed thru the server ... just a matter of permissions.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
$$$ files
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 09:04:09 AM »
Hard drives are not too much money here in the UK too! However, the company I work for has just been bought out. The management say that until we get our housekeeping in order we wont be able to have a new disk.  :cry:

It is hell to try and keep on top of the system, deleting files etc. The older drawings have to be archived before they are ready. I would like to see a dedicated hard drive for archived files, but again this will not happen until we get the housekeeping in order.

The company has been working line this since at least 2000, and I started here as Cad manager about 6 weeks ago. I have a mountain of back-work to go through and check. Hell I dont even know where to begin. I also have to find time to do the drawings and train the new users, as well as getting the new manual up and running :? When this is all running a bit better, I will then be starting to manage the drawing staff a little better.

Oh well, you know what its like I suppose. (Its still less stressful than being a full-time mum to my 4 kids!)

Anyway, back to my questions, what files can be deleted apart from the .bak files, and where do the $$$ files come from.

Sorry to rant on :x
Tracey

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
$$$ files
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 09:11:05 AM »
Quote from: t-bear

What about moving some information to local stations?  Legacy stuff????? If needed, it could be accessed thru the server ... just a matter of permissions.

I dont know how easy that would be as our IT department is in a different part of the country. One of the guys comes in to the office on a weekly basis, I will try and catch him next time he comes in to see what can move and the best way to do it.
Thanks for your input
Tracey

dubb

• Swamp Rat
$$$ files
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 12:13:55 PM »
should you be deleting the bak and sv$ files? they play an important role here. they save my butt when autocad crashes or if i delete a file. those two types of files are stored locally on my workstation. i direct them throught the support options to limit the amount of data written to the server.