Author Topic: piracy  (Read 6849 times)

jsr

piracy
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:55:40 AM »
Hi everybody

If someone writes auto/visual lisp code for commercial use. What are the possible measures to prevent its piracy. When using .NET we can have installation packages/activation codes etc But for lisp code what are the possibilities. Even if we create a .fas file it makes the code unreadable but still it can be easily copied/used etc.

Please guide.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: piracy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:05:38 AM »
Actually Lisp easier to protect than .NET : )  compile to .vlx, or .fas, 
Get the OS activation code or motherboard serial and go from there

jsr

Re: piracy (for eAmbiguousOutput)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:10:59 AM »
Thanks eAmbiguousOutput

Would you please explain bit more. I want to give the .fas/vlx applications to others who are authorized to use but do not want them to further distribute them to others.

Thanks again.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:12:24 AM »
heres a link to where you can get some of the hardware needed to build a key
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=29556.msg350816#msg350816

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: piracy (for eAmbiguousOutput)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:20:37 AM »
Thanks eAmbiguousOutput

Would you please explain bit more. I want to give the .fas/vlx applications to others who are authorized to use but do not want them to further distribute them to others.

Thanks again.

Step 1. create a lisp routine in your VLX that can collect a few serials from the hardware.
Step 2, create a lisp routine in your VLX  that can code and decode the serials.
Step 3, create a lisp routine that can generate a request key and  accept an activation key.
step 4, store the activation key.
step 5, at various points in your lisp routine I.e at launch, check that activation key exists and is valid.

something like that  :laugh:

pkohut

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:22:26 AM »
Is the application already written? If not I wouldn't worry about piracy, it's more important to write the application.

Sorry to be harsh again, but keying your software to the OS or some piece of hardware is, hold it - here's that word again --, stupid. Unless people absolutely need your software, which they probably don't, then that is a first class ticket to no sales.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 07:24:50 AM »
One thing that has puzzled me actually is that surely you need the program to modify itself in some way, else what is to stop the user running the program on another system and the program just going through the procedure as if it was the first time launch?

jsr

Re: piracy (for pkohut)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 07:39:56 AM »
Dont be stupid If you do not have any reasonable answer do not bark like street dogs. Non sence

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »
Dont be stupid If you do not have any reasonable answer do not bark like street dogs. Non sence

whoa junior ... you may just need to explain that !!

who are you talking to and why are you being so aggressive ..
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 07:47:58 AM »
Paul's got one of those opinions  :lol:

I have one program on the market that has keying, While this had absolutely no affect on sales, it is a real PIA to deal with. 

pkohut

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 07:50:08 AM »
One thing that has puzzled me actually is that surely you need the program to modify itself in some way, else what is to stop the user running the program on another system and the program just going through the procedure as if it was the first time launch?

There's lots of ways to handle it. Self modifying code could be one. But if you want to key on the hardware then some sort of hardware hash needs to be sent company so they can send you a key based on it and your name or something.

pkohut

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 07:50:42 AM »
Paul's got one of those opinions  :lol:

I have one program on the market that has keying, While this had absolutely no affect on sales, it is a real PIA to deal with. 

I did give a warning.  :-D  :-D

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »
Aladdin had support for Autolisp, if your looking for a commercial solution http://www.aladdin.com/support/hasp/hasp4/legacyapi.aspx

jsr

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 07:55:52 AM »
Sorry Its for Mr. pkohut who should not reply if he does not have a reasonable answer.

I think no question is non snece If the purpose is to learn something. One cannot learn if he/she does not ask questions whether reasonable or not. I had a question in my mind so I posted it to forum Now one does not need to worry if I have any application that is valuable for other or not.

Thanks.

pkohut

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »

Sorry I didn't provide you with the answer you wanted to hear. After rereading what I wrote, I must agree with myself 100%. Again, my apologies.