Author Topic: Who here uses Navisworks?  (Read 21902 times)

JCTER

Who here uses Navisworks?
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »
Looks like we're going to hire some more CAD folk around here and put me into position as HNIC.  *pats self on back*  One of the tasks we're going to do in the next couple weeks is get Navisworks, to help in our modeling and presentation workflow, as well as to facilitate using our model better when presenting job bids, and budget requests to the bosses of our client.  They were -floored- when we used a trial of Navisworks to show off our model to one of the big wigs, and they basically told our client, the project manager, that he can have whatever he wants.  He says he's never heard of anyone getting that kind of reaction, so he wants us to use Navisworks from now on, and I think he's paying for it, so win-win-win.

I think this will also -really- help me in Autocad, as some of the problems I run in to are that I get slowed down a lot by having to keep layers thawed for reference, slowing regens, causing paintstaking navigation speeds, and what not.  Additionally the increased visualization will help immensely in visualization, not to mention clash detection benefits.

Before I go into asking more questions about the benefits of getting a 3d mouse such as a 3DConnexion device, what the -real- benefits of each 'level' of Navisworks software is, and what not... anyone here experienced with this junk that can offer advice?

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Who here uses Navisworks?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
It's a pretty cool product.  You can really start to break down what you want to run clash reports with... I.E. cold water piping vs. steel as opposed to ALL piping versus steel.  The switchback feature is kinda cool... you can open the creating program (AutoCAD, Revit, whatever) make the change(s) then switchback to Navisworks and rerun the clash report to see if you actually fixed what was clashing.  Another cool feature of the clash detection is the ability to check for "soft" clashes.  A soft clash allows you to put a buffer around objects.  So like if you needed to check for clearance around electrical equipment or if you columns but needed to account for X-inches of fire protection you can account for that buffer zone.  Typically we draw our pipes without insulation so we could add a 1-1/2" buffer zone around the pipes and if anything encroaches that area, it shows up as a clash (even though there's really nothing there).
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

JCTER

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:46:12 AM »
That's pretty sweet.  For electrical stuff where X" of access/clearance is required, I've been simply modeling a 'box' on a non-plotting layer in front of it, that can simulate the area not to intrude upon for personal reference.  If I could set a 'soft' clash, that would basically eliminate that, assuming I could set a buffer in one direction only, rather than all-around.  Don't know that that's possible, but the soft clash feature is ultimately cool.

I'm most interested in the fact that I can keep Navisworks up on one screen with all/most layers thawed, so I can view it for reference, and keep MOST layers FROZEN in Autocad to work with, and just run piping or steel as needed.  Most of the time I don't need to measure from other objects, I just need to -see- them to rough in a location.  I'm also probably going to be moving into handling the piping design, and thus being able to freeze all the layers EXCEPT the pipe run I'm working on, will VASTLY increase regen time and overall Autocad speed and I'm -sure- will reduce/eliminate most of the general crashes I run into while operating.

Do you guys have any 3d control devices like the 3dConexxion gear?  One guy I know strongly advised I get something, even if it's just the 3d controller with a few extra buttons, and not their ultra-highend device.  He said I'd likely see the cost made back within my first pay period.  However, he works for the Dept of Defense at Boeing and thus has a much larger scale of operation that we, a humble 7 employee company does.  Same principle though... if they see near-immediate recoup of cost, so would we, for that item.

What about the different "levels" of Navisworks.  It appears there are different packages with differing level of features and abilities... which do you guys use, and what do you like/dislike about it?

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »
If I could set a 'soft' clash, that would basically eliminate that, assuming I could set a buffer in one direction only, rather than all-around.  Don't know that that's possible, but the soft clash feature is ultimately cool.
I don't believe you can do that.   :-(

Do you guys have any 3d control devices like the 3dConexxion gear?
I've got a Logitech trackball mouse and I've used it with a regular ol' mouse.  It has the same 3D View Cube for navigating that all of the Autodesk products have.

What about the different "levels" of Navisworks.
Don't know anything about that.   :|
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

JCTER

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:18:38 PM »
I haven't looked into much of the differences, just yet.  I plan on doing that today.  I just notice that there are three packages available, one being free, the others being $2,500 and $10,000.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=14392248

Looks like that $7,500 difference is the clash detection, upon quick review.  So I guess it's a matter of deciding if $7,500 is worth the clash detection for our work.  I think if we plan on going after any bigger jobs, it will be a necessity, though.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
Some People get all the fun.   :x

For this Coke, we will be submitting our files to a central person that works for client who will running them thru Navis Works along with the other 11+/- consultants for mostly clash detection, scheduling and bare bones fly thru.  That much plus the going to the 3 hour "You-Must-Buy-This" seminar by reseller, is all I know.

Pretty cool and fun looking tool I must say. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
NavisWorks is the BOMB.    :mrgreen:  We use CADWorx for piping design, and it gives us (and the clients) access to the CADWorx data like line size, valve tags, line numbers, you name it.  Other applications may have their own properties available through object enablers.

The three levels:
Freedom - its free.  You can only open NWD (and lately, 3D DWF) files which can only be 'published' with the higher versions.  You can't measure, but you can turn objects on/off and do limited searching with the selection tree.  It can have saved viewpoints and comments, again only from the higher versions.
Simulate - this is the main product now, after Review was discontinued.  You can open many different file types, even merging different files together such as a DWG with multiple XREFs, an independant DWG, and a sub-contractor provided NWD file.  Theres a few extra goodies (database connections, 4D simulation, rendering, etc.), but it takes a while to learn how to use them.
Manage - this is the big, bad, bank breaker.  Its the only one with the Clash Detective.  I seriously recommend you get one (maybe two, if you have a big company) license as floating, then use the FlexLM options file to limit access.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:49:45 PM »
Yea, the problem is that we're only going to have 1, maybe 2, seats of Navisworks, so when/if we decide we must have clash detection, it's going to be an all-or-nothing, just about.  :-D

I'm pretty excited about it.  I spoke, in length, on IRC, about the benefits of using some of the "big boy 3d engineering" products, and what the real world benefits of them are.  They use CATIA though, so I mean, he's head and shoulders over anything we would ever get to play with, heh.  Also, they don't have CAD guys, they only have engineers.  Little different all around I guess, where he's at.  They have a mix of Unigraphix (Siemens NX), some Pro/E remnants, as well as CATIA.  However, apparently CATIA has a viewer/manager built into it that serves the purpose that Navisworks would for us.

It sounds like we'll really enjoy it.  I just told the boss the price difference between NW Simulate and Manage and he states "F**KING FIGURES, WOULDN'T IT?" because he was a fan of the automated clash detection.  He spends a bit of time doing the clash detection, when we get the piping guys' model, and doing the piping review, so that was pretty much the only thing he was really wanting.  He does no modeling, but just handles some of the model coordination, which would get delegated to me, with Navisworks, though.

airportman

• Newt
  • i customize when required
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
I/We have been using Navisworks for several years now. It is an every improving tool that more design shops should be looking into.
Currently the API is limited, but you can do some great automation with excel & vb 2008 express.
Our company just moved up to 2011 and the interface continues to get better.

I recommend this product to everyone I speak to. get it !!
Perception is a state of mind  -/ Twitter = @hochanz -/ Intel i7 - 3.07GHz -/ 12GB Ram -/ Nvidia Quadro FX 1800

JCTER

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
I/We have been using Navisworks for several years now. It is an every improving tool that more design shops should be looking into.
Currently the API is limited, but you can do some great automation with excel & vb 2008 express.
Our company just moved up to 2011 and the interface continues to get better.

I recommend this product to everyone I speak to. get it !!
We are currently using Freedom, still, for model reviews and what not.  I have not begun to integrate it into my design process, however.  It's a god send for meeting with clients and other personnel to be able to sit down and go through my CAD model real-time and inspect the designed facility as it develops, in a shaded/rendered realistic environment.

You just cannot do that with Autocad in any of the machines we have.  Before Navisworks we would freeze layers, unload xrefs temporarily and do other things to speed up the navigation.  Or we would switch to a realistic visual style, to show... then switch back to 2dWireframe and tell them "now remember, these lines are behind those lines" and blah blah... sucked.

Exporting to a Navisworks file is infinitely better.

We're looking to get a seat of Navisworks (sans collision detection, I think) in the near future, still.  Just gotta push the boss for it.  It's more about getting him to finally sit down and do it, than anything.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
If you get network licenses, and both a Simulate *and* Manage, watch out for cascading licenses.  If all the Simulate licenses are checked out and another person starts Simulate it will pull the Manage license without any kind of warning.  *Really* bloody annoying, especially since our parent company took over licensing and put them on a server in another city.

A lot of our clients are sending our Freedom NWD files to the field, one of the bigger clients is using Simulate in their module fab shop.  Its an excellent investment.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JCTER

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 11:01:34 AM »
A lot of our clients are sending our Freedom NWD files to the field, one of the bigger clients is using Simulate in their module fab shop.  Its an excellent investment.
We work very close with our piping fabricator who also does the majority of our structural fabrication, geography and schedule permitting.  We actually share CAD files, however, the guys that travel to install the stuff would surely benefit from a laptop with the navisworks file.  Not sure.  I'm too many steps-of-communication separated from them, so I should probably push someone to discuss it with 'em.

I know I'm going to be a big fan of having an efficiently displayed and navigated 3D model when it comes inspection and construction admin time.  I'm chomping at the bit for Autocad WS to start supporting 3D objects, so I can use my iPad for that.  Worried that the hardware is insufficient, however.  But a tablet PC or laptop with Navisworks Freedom would kick butt.

barc

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
If you get network licenses, and both a Simulate *and* Manage, watch out for cascading licenses.  If all the Simulate licenses are checked out and another person starts Simulate it will pull the Manage license without any kind of warning.  *Really* bloody annoying, especially since our parent company took over licensing and put them on a server in another city.

You can control it in the license manager by setting up groups and only giving certain groups access to Manage.

barc

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
I've run Freedom on an iPad for small models without any trouble.  Never tried it for a whole Hydrocracker though.

barc

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 01:35:13 PM »
James, If you're not running 64bit ACAD look into the NWNAVIGATOR.arx, it will open a Freedom-like view window of your current AutoCAD model that can push viewpoints back and forth into AutoCAD (doesn't eat a seat of NW either).  Alas they don't have a fix for 64bit ACAD yet.