Author Topic: plotting tool  (Read 4700 times)

dubb

• Swamp Rat
plotting tool
« on: December 08, 2004, 03:59:42 PM »
i dont know if this is the right place for this topic but its definitely not lisp. what im looking for is a gui type of prompt that will occur in autocad before you click on the "Plot" button to send to the plotter.

the prompt will consist of

job# (predefined list)
user (name of person logged in the workstation)
media (predefined list of sheets)
plotter or printer
billable or non-billable or in-house
phase options (ie) phase1, phase2,phase3

it should have radio buttons and pulldown menus, and after you fill in all the blanks, it will output the information into excel and or .txt along with the date and file descriptions and the report will all be in one file untill it becomes a certain size then it will create a new one.

i find this useful for my billing purposes. its alot easier than writing these things down and i can submit reports of billing by just printing. the alternative to this is a program called "technesis" but its about $200 bucks per user.

TR

plotting tool
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 04:25:52 PM »
I'll write it for you but it's gonna cost $$.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
plotting tool
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 05:04:23 PM »
ok.....well ill just pm you.......so what program would you use to make this?

TR

plotting tool
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 11:25:34 PM »
Seriously....50 dollars is all you're willing to pay for this?

M-dub

plotting tool
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 11:38:45 PM »
No offense, dubb, but it does sound kind of...'involved'.  There's a bit of work there.  It would be a cool project for a VB newb if you had the time.

M2C

dubb

• Swamp Rat
plotting tool
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 04:30:05 PM »
well then i must learn VB......srry tim, its just not gonna happen now.  is there any other people using this type of tool for billing and tracking plots? im just gonna have to learn VB.

TR

plotting tool
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 07:04:52 PM »
Everything you need to know to complete this project is probably be found in the AutoCAD vba help file.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
plotting tool
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 07:56:01 PM »
thank you tim.....it will be added to my "list of things to do" theres so much to learn.....its gonna take a long while....thanx to this forum it can be possible.

TR

plotting tool
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 08:02:23 PM »
Just remember to break it down into small parts and then build from that. Also another key to programming is to plan for the worst possible situation. Be sure to include error handling (i.e. Don't use On Error Resume Next) and also try to use boolean functions instead of subs as much as possible.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
plotting tool
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 12:02:42 PM »
thank you....i will keep that in mind while i take my journey into vba.....