Author Topic: Bricsys DEV conference 2010.  (Read 10921 times)

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Bricsys DEV conference 2010.
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:33:23 PM »
I thought I would post some if my thoughts here since it was a DEV conference.

I had plans to meet up with Owen, Deelip and a few other attendees at the airport, since we were all arriving around the same time. I figured, I could spot everyone from their blog pics.. While standing at the arrival gate, Owen tapped me on the back and said in a booming voice, "Looking for somebody?". I thought ACK! I hope I never pissed this guy off, at 6'5" (my estimate), he could easily put my lights out. Luckily for me, he's one of the nicest people you'd ever meet.  Once we met up with Deelip and the others, we all made our way to Bruges by train. First order of business, beer (Brugse Zot) and lunch. Suffering from the after affects of a 13 hour flight, It was nap time.

The conference was a blast! Listening to all the speakers show off their creations made me realize how far the CAD world reaches and how many companies customize CAD (read Bricscad), for both internal use and for "for-sale" products. An example was how a dredging company used Bricscad/BRX to map seafloor data and program their CNC like rock cutting tool. Come to find out, the dredging company was using BRX + some of the managed wrappers I had written.  Anyway I was amazed to see large global companies making the move to Bricscad. After day one of the conference, we had dinner and beer tasting at the Salvador Dali museum. What do you get when you put a hundred C++ coders in a Salvador Dali museum, with truck loads of free beer?

The second day of the conference was great as well, listening to the Bricsys team layout their goals for the next year and listening to  more guest speakers showing off their creations. This is the part where the Bricsys team has moved up a few notches in my book... After day 2 of the conference, Bricsys put on a party at a lovely mansion at the center of Bruges. Bricsys arranged for scenic boat trips for all the guests, a Jazz band and all the wine and beer you could drink. At 10:00 pm sharp, the Bricsys rock band fired up.  Luc De Batselier (Bricsys CTO) on keyboard and Hans De Backer (Bricsys head of Bricscad development) on bass were rock'en the house until the police showed up at 2:00 am, the party continued till 5:00 am. As you can imagine everyone was talking quietly for conference day 3.

On day 4, the conference was officially over and most everyone had already left. A few of us diehards went to visit the Bricsys office in Gent, another beautiful town in Belgium. First order of business coffee, Erik De Keyser (Bricsys CEO) showed me their coffee maker 9000, it makes coffee so strong, it could be considered a controlled substance in the US. It became very clear how so few coders get so much work done. After a couple of shots of joe, we got the grand tour of the office and a look at their testing servers that run automated tests on every code check-in.. the cool stuff.. Afterwards, we all went out for a pizza and wine lunch.

What I took away from the conference (besides the hangover).
Bricsys is a fantastic company with a great company culture, Their average employee has been there for over 11 years. (I asked every employee I met, how long they had been working for Bricsys).
It's a lean machine with forty some odd coders and four overhead.
They are very serious about quality as evident from the amount resources they put into their testing servers.
Bricscad is now considered a viable product by large multi-national corporations.
They like beer

(forgive my spelling/grammar mistakes, I'm recovering)

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: Bricsys DEV conference 2010.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
Owen.. Beer

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Erik, Hans and Luc

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »
boat ride

gskelly

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »
Sounds like you had a blast!

Thanks for the info.
Bricscad v12

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:04:37 PM »
Sounds like you had a blast!

To say the least, It would have been cool to meet more swamp members, hopefully next year.   :wink:

LE3

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »
To envy.

( Do they need help - janitorial services,  coffee maker, go for the lunch's, and at the end if time permits to write some code too.... :lol: )

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »
To envy.

( Do they need help - janitorial services,  coffee maker, go for the lunch's, and at the end if time permits to write some code too.... :lol: )

I don't know about that, but people like you might consider porting your application(s) to Bricscad, just sit back and rack in the cash   :kewl:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:59:54 AM by Daniel »

Daniel Eiszele

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 10:00:40 PM »
Hi Dan,

is there anything you can tell us about Bricsys' development roadmap?  Or did they swear you to secrecy!

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:07:53 PM »
Hi Dan,

.... Or did they swear you to secrecy!

Yeah, we had to sign NDAs  :|

LE3

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
just sit back and rack in the cash   :kewl:

Sound way to good.... (been there, done that... in other time)  :-)

On what I am doing as a consultor, it is something that will be for run inside this app, afaik... but I won't be the one doing the port/or part, just some new objects... if it is permitted, will publish the site or about it.

And back, to the conference, kudos for you !.... what a great opportunity... to met the great maestro and code poet Owen. :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:33:06 PM by LE3 »

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »
what a great opportunity... to meet the great maestro and code poet Owen. :)

That was so cool, I had the chance to ask him the important questions like
Have you ever met TT
What do you think of .NET

:-D

LE3

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:19 PM »
Great philosophical questions... I bet he does not... on the other have not seen nothing from him about .net.... on the ng's

what a great opportunity... to meet the great maestro and code poet Owen. :)

That was so cool, I had the chance to ask him the important questions like
Have you ever met TT
What do you think of .NET

:-D

pkohut

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 11:13:07 PM »
Sounds like fun. Since I can't drink I'll have one Belgium blond barmaid to go. Make that a double.  :angel:

It's Alive!

• BricsCAD
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 11:40:51 PM »
... I'll have one Belgium blond barmaid to go. Make that a double.  :angel:

Ha! I was thinking the same thing  :-D