Author Topic: 64 bit problems  (Read 2081 times)

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
64 bit problems
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
Just wanted to share some frustration and maybe save you some.

64 bit Windows does not play well with Visual Studio.

I was excited about 64 bit: Windows 7, AutoCAD 2011, Visual Studio 2010. What could go wrong?
Before you caution me on "bleeding edge" the issues are the same with any 64 bit Windows and other versions of AutoCAD and VS.

1. You will loose your favorite feature in Visual Studio - "Edit and Continue". Docs tell you that you can simply target x86 platforms but then you can't reference the x64 AutoCAD dlls. As an AutoCAD programmer you are stuck.
2. Visual Studio will NOT throw an error when unhandled exceptions occur. See https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/357311/silent-exceptions-on-x64-development-machines#details It just swallows the error and your program doesn't work. (or worse)

The second one is the ultimate Catch 22. This is from MS:
Unfortunately where is nothing that the Visual Studo team can do to address this, it is the result of operating system design. All feedback regarding this issue should be addressed to the Windows team; however the Windows team considers this to be the "correct" operating system design, and considers the x86 behavior to be "incorrect".

Sounds like the recent BP-Halliburton debates over who is responsible for the oil gushing into the gulf.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: 64 bit problems
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »
that sux!  So what are the alternatives?  Seems like there should be a workaround
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
Re: 64 bit problems
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
that sux!  So what are the alternatives?  Seems like there should be a workaround
There is a workaround posted for problem 2 but it doesn't really help with problem 1 so I've decided to go back to 32 bit.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions