Author Topic: Snap (in a 'Z' formation)  (Read 4892 times)

McRojo the Irishman

Snap (in a 'Z' formation)
« on: November 24, 2003, 07:56:45 PM »
If I draw a 'T' from two plines and move my cursor to the horizonal, vertical intersection with my snaps set to midpoint, endpoint, and intersection, which point will be found and why?

or...

What determines the 'stickiness' of the cursor in relation to snaps and the order in which the grip is found?

hendie

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 04:04:43 AM »
haven't done any research but right off the top of my head... wouldn't it be something to do with which object you were closest to while hovering ?
in your example you could be in either of 3 "segments".
Above the "T" I'd imaging the midpoint snap would be picked first, becauseyou would alweays be closest to the horizontal line,
while below the "T" in either segment, it could be midpoint (if closer to the horizontal line) or endpoint (closer to the vertical line) ~ I couldn't get intersection to show up unless I forced it, even when zoomed in.

... or I could be completely wrong

daron

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 08:31:20 AM »
Perpendicular would be the most overbearing. Oh, you didn't have that set, good. Don't know, let's see. Yup, I get the same thing as Hendie. Personally, I find that forcing osnaps is better than letting the computer decide which one to use.

SMadsen

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 08:33:32 AM »
I find that having a finger on the TAB key avoids alot of typing to force certain osnaps.

daron

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 08:40:54 AM »
Not much typing to force anything for me. Middle-click e, is endpoint. I don't like being without it.

McRojo the Irishman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 11:48:05 AM »
That Tab idea is new to me.  I didn't know you could cycle through points like that.  It's the sort of thing I was looking for.

I really don't see a pattern in what's going on.  If I put my box over that intersection, I get endpoint every time.  I know that endpoint is the same as the midpoint of the line it intersects, the intersection, and doggonit... even the perpindicular!  I was just wondering if there is a way to set priority.