Author Topic: Should I bother  (Read 3061 times)

rktect3j

Should I bother
« on: December 06, 2004, 12:20:53 PM »
What is the upside for someone who works in acad 2002 with architecture to learn the basics of autolisp?  I tend to use other peoples lisp routines and don't know if I should get to know the code or not.  I have a very limited grasp of it right now which is to say that I have seen the code and can recognize parts of it and what it might do.  I can not write code at all.

Just to scare you a bit, I am sort of the cad guru in my office.  I manage all the files here although our principle knows more then I do he has basically left me in charge until there is a real problem.

Artisan

Should I bother
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 12:33:41 PM »
rktect3j,
I had given that same exact thought to what I do. I have used AutoCAD for some time now, but I never learned how to write or understand code. Much like yourself, I usually just copy the code and go from there. But I started playing around with it one day and got really interested in the stuff. I know I will not become this great code writing guru like several here, but I would like to at least know what I am doing. I have bought a few texts on the subject and watch some of the discussions here that I can follow. I guess you do what helps you out the most. I just look at it as a possible helpful tool down the road if it meant I made more money or was given a better position.

M-dub

Should I bother
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 12:36:14 PM »
I too am in the same boat.

Ask yourself this though:
Would it hurt you to know how to write it?  Not likely.  I should bite the bullet and commit myself to learning it, but I never do...:roll:  I've just got so much going on at home and when I'm at work, I don't have time to do it either.  It's a matter of MAKING time for it.

ELOQUINTET

Should I bother
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 12:42:26 PM »
u should u all should o damn that includes me  :roll:

rktect3j

Should I bother
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 12:52:32 PM »
I suppose that one of the reasons I ask is that isn't visual basics replaceing autolisp?   Is autolisp on its way out and even if it is should you know a little bit about it to help out with what may be replacing it.

Obviously we all hope that knowlege gives us some sort of reason for not being fired or even better for being kept on if things get tough.  The more someone knows in the office the greater their value even if they aren't compensated for it.  We should all bring something to the table.  That is our office's policy. Sort of the "Ask not what your company can do for you, but what you can do for your company" mentality.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Should I bother
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:11:23 PM »
Personal opinion;
Money or no money, if you can make your job easier, faster, better, why not?

I learned to write autolisp for me, not my employer.

If you want to learn it then you need to write code every day. It doesn't have to be a massive application, just anything, tinker with it if nothing else. I get to work on average 1-1/2 hours early every day just so I can write code, and I've done this for years. It's the best time for me because it's quiet and my head is cooled off from the previous days coding. Mind you I'm not at the level of Mr. Madsen, Mr. Puckett, Mr. Bethel or Mr. Blackie just to name a few around here but I can whip up a quick time saving app when I need one. And that to me is the knowledge level you should aim for. So what are you waiting for?
Code: [Select]

(defun write-lisp (when)
  (alert (strcat "When should I start? " when))
  )
(write-lisp "NOW!!!")
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

CADaver

Should I bother
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 01:31:18 PM »
Quote from: rktect3j
I suppose that one of the reasons I ask is that isn't visual basics replaceing autolisp?   Is autolisp on its way out and even if it is should you know a little bit about it to help out with what may be replacing it.
IMMHO, AutoLISP or rather VLISP, will be around for quite some time yet.  The user base is much too broad to consider dropping it any time soon.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Should I bother
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 01:52:26 PM »
Not to mention all the code that Adesk would have to re-write. In my install of LDT2005 there are 557 files.
C:\Program Files\Land Desktop 2005>dir /b /s *.lsp | find /c ".lsp"
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

paulmcz

• Bull Frog
Should I bother
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 05:11:35 PM »
… but beware, it’ very addictive….

SMadsen

Should I bother
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 04:14:22 AM »
Quote from: rktect3j
I suppose that one of the reasons I ask is that isn't visual basics replaceing autolisp? Is autolisp on its way out and even if it is should you know a little bit about it to help out with what may be replacing it.

Anything can happen. As time has shown before - e.g. when the other platforms were ditched - it's the numbers at the bottom line that govern things in the end. In the case of lisp being part of the product, I don't think it'll go away unless the kernel is to be rewritten.

As for learning the stuff, well .. the bad news are that if you don't have the interest you won't ever learn it. The good news are that the interest can be triggered by many things.