Author Topic: New Web based Help  (Read 2375 times)

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
New Web based Help
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »
Why did they change the Help system?   :realmad:

I use "AutoCAD Civil 3D as AutoCAD 2011" quite often for basic drafting and stuff not related to Civil 3D.  If I hit F1, Internet Explorer opens up with the help file and it open the help files from somewhere on the internet.  What confuses me is that I don't see any help for AutoCAD with the online version.  Just help for Civil 3D.

What confuses me even more is this:

I open up "AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 Metric" and hit F1 and the old help file appears.  Firstly, it open the old help system.  It doesn't go online.  And secondly, help for AutoCAD in available.

To sum it up:
 - The on-line version is a lot slower than the old off-line version.
 - With old system, if you go to the index tab and start typing, it goes to the words starting with the letters that you have typed.  With the new one, you have to click on view.
 - If you have a slow internet connection, you are screwed.
 - It doesn't use you're default browser.
 - You waste a lot of time.

I may be wrong with this, but it's not working for me.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: New Web based Help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
you will want (need) to follow below....

Access to online Help documentation is available to your users from www.autodesk.com. The Help system can also be installed during the product installation process should you choose to restrict online access. Access to online or local Help can also be done through the CAD Manager Control utility.

or alter it here:

In the Options dialog (OPTIONS, A > Options), on the System tab, uncheck the option "Use online help from Autodesk website when available" in the Help pane.

The current setting of this option is trored in the undocumented variable WBHELPONLINE

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:53:52 PM by Spawn »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:17:52 PM »
you will want (need) to follow below....

Access to online Help documentation is available to your users from www.autodesk.com. The Help system can also be installed during the product installation process should you choose to restrict online access. Access to online or local Help can also be done through the CAD Manager Control utility.

or alter it here:

In the Options dialog (OPTIONS, A > Options), on the System tab, uncheck the option "Use online help from Autodesk website when available" in the Help pane.

The current setting of this option is trored in the undocumented variable WBHELPONLINE

Thanks Michael.

If I change the Help file settings on the System Tab (Options) I get the attached dialog.  I can change the File path to the correct file, but it still doesn't work.

Maybe this will solve the problem: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15068206&linkID=9240618

I will let you know.

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »
The file (acad181.chm) that you can download from http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15068206&linkID=9240618 is installed in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011\Help.

Autodesk suggest a shortcut on the desktop to that file.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »
The file (acad181.chm) that you can download from http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15068206&linkID=9240618 is installed in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011\Help.

Autodesk suggest a shortcut on the desktop to that file.

That's a 500 dollar right there that I have been looking for!  Whoo Hoo!  :lmao:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
I've always suggested a copy/shortcut to HELP file for autocad being on ones desktop....at least for myself it gives me something to read while in airports, airplanes, and hotel rooms.  It sure is a good cure for insomnia as well!    

Note:

Note: The CHM search will not work in 64-bit Windows 7.

You can also point to the locally installed HTML help by turning on the local help checkbox under Options

In theory the Help file should have been installed locally as well....unless this is a 'defect' (I know nine more people just ignored me) with the vertical applications, and they simply fail to install the LOCAL version of the help files for AUTOCAD when the vertical  is installed. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:06:48 PM by Spawn »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
A brief follow up on this.  I just happened to do a(n) install of C3D 2011 last night, and remembering this I checked the help file and it was properly installed.  In otherwords I had all the Help categories to chose from in the search for help drop down.  So I'm wondering as to the how and when that acad help isn't or doesn't install correctly requiring the secondary install of help?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
I've always suggested a copy/shortcut to HELP file for autocad being on ones desktop....at least for myself it gives me something to read while in airports, airplanes, and hotel rooms.

:ugly: :ugly:

Man do you have some issues........... :-P
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016