Author Topic: Question about palette "core" settings, where is it stored?  (Read 5072 times)

Aerdvark

Since there is no way to import multiple *.xtp (exported tool palette file) files and / or *.xpg (exported palette group file) files by AutoLisp or Visual Lisp programatically I am wondering the following:

- 1 - Can that be done through another programming language, like C# / C++ / VB.NET / ObjectARX...? (I am total unfamiliar with those).
Note: I do not want to create these toolpalette files for I allready have them. I just need to "batch import" them.
What I'd prefer most (need most) is the multiple import of the *.xpg files.

- 2 - Where oh where are the "view options" of a palette stored?
If it all would be succesfully imported then I need to set the view options as I want them and stay like that. Normally the toolpalette view options switch back to default. I have no clue where to look for these settings.
-> View Options = Image Size + View Style + Appy to all palettes.
Maybe if I knew where to look for it, I could change these settings by startup of a drawing.

Seen from another side: I have a few tool palettes (50 or so) that I have grouped in like 10 groups. This is all achieved by regular CUI-customization. Now, to get it on 25 different machines, I do not want to import 50 *.xtp files and 10 *.xpg files * 25 machines.
I have scanned the whole internet :-) but there is no Lispable solution.

Anyone Ideas to help me around?

Thanks allready!!

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Question about palette "core" settings, where is it stored?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »
First, your best bet is to store those on a network share and point your users there.  That way they inherit your changes.  You can make the share read only so they cant change what your creating.

Second, the view settings are stored in a profile file.  Its XML based, and a pain to edit easily.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Aerdvark

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »
Hello Cmdrduh,

Thanks for the reply!

First, your best bet is to store those on a network share and point your users there.  That way they inherit your changes.  You can make the share read only so they cant change what your creating.
Yes, that I am aware of!

Second, the view settings are stored in a profile file.  Its XML based, and a pain to edit easily.
You mean "the profile" or a different profile?
XML is indeed a pain but hey, at least it keeps me off the street  :-D

I'll search for the profile file(s) and see if they are "xml-based".

Any further help is much required !

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:00:44 PM »
Is it necessary to use the exported XTP/XTP files, or can you just move around the ATC files (or preferably keep them in one place an change the reference path)?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Aerdvark

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:32:36 AM »
Is it necessary to use the exported XTP/XTP files, or can you just move around the ATC files (or preferably keep them in one place an change the reference path)?

I do not know if your question is attended to me..? If yes, I do not know what you mean.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »
I think he means, can you use the ATC file catalog that is created when you make the palettes.  If you point Autocad to the folder where the palettes are stored, it should read what is there and update AutoMagically
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Aerdvark

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
Hmm... you mean that the toolpalette group is "to be set" to the catalog file (*.act) ?

Sorry if I misunderstand you.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »
yes,  If you build all your palettes, and put somewhere your users can get to, point them there and see the update

Aerdvark

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:16:45 PM »
Hi tnx for the reply, I have tried but with no luck.
How would I approach it, to make a simple test?

I don't know how to do this... try however in the meanwhile

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
Where are your palette files now? 

<Test Case>
  • Copy your palette files from current location to a network location.
  • Point your machine to new location.
  • Create some new content
  • Point another user to new location and see new content "updated" automatically
</Test Case>

I hope that makes sense

Aerdvark

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »
Oh yes, now I see what you mean.
This is working alright!

The point is this: if I create 10 tool palettes with 5 tool palette groups, and I copy the content to a network drive, the palettes are updated.
But the tool palette groups are "gone" or at least not available.

Also the view options like "view style" and "Image size" of the toolpalettes are not as how I exported them (with export I mean: copy all the *.act files to network drive".

Also if the path is changed, eg "*_toolpalettepath" all settings are back to default.

I am very sorry if I was not that clear!

My problem is not how to get the right toolpalettes on another workstation but how to keep the setting as they where supposed to be.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »
that is a bigger problem, one that requires editing the XML file.  I thought about doing it, but it was too much work

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
Yeah, tool palette groups don't support networking very well (if at all... thats why I don't support TP groups here).  To implement TP groups you would need to copy the toolpalette ATC files and the catalog ATC (I think - its been a while since I looked at it) local to each user whenever anything updated.  The upside, is you don't need to bother exporting/importing the palette files - just make sure the users are pointing to the correct combination of folders where you copy the updated files.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Aerdvark

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 01:35:34 AM »
Yeah, tool palette groups don't support networking very well (if at all... thats why I don't support TP groups here).  To implement TP groups you would need to copy the toolpalette ATC files and the catalog ATC (I think - its been a while since I looked at it) local to each user whenever anything updated.  The upside, is you don't need to bother exporting/importing the palette files - just make sure the users are pointing to the correct combination of folders where you copy the updated files.
Yep, that is true. Here my macro wich I use to do the trick (this one goes back to the standard AutoCAD toolpalettes):
^C^C^P(command "ToolPalettesClose" "*_toolpalettepath" (strcat (getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX") "Support/ToolPalette") "ToolPalettes")

Bear in mind that switching this way will reset all view options back to default !