Author Topic: Who's code is it?  (Read 4760 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Who's code is it?
« on: February 01, 2005, 07:15:02 AM »
If you post some code, be it a full blown app or just a small snippet, in an "online" forum such as this one, and do not include your name and/or a copyright statement, does the code still belong to you to you? What about outside of the "online" forum that is was posted on?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

David Bethel

• Swamp Rat
Who's code is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 08:06:50 AM »
Here's some interesting reading about copyrights.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

-David
R12 Dos - A2K

hyposmurf

Who's code is it?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 01:50:02 PM »
If someone took your code and modified it could you prove they had done so?They may have just gone through the similar steps as to acheve the same outcome.If I find some code off the net I'll include the authors name if its avaliable,its only fair. after the time they psent producing it.

whdjr

Who's code is it?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 02:18:33 PM »
If you posted code to a Public forum for other users benefit I don't see how you could get angry.  Yeah it's proper courtesy to credit the creator when known, but how many times do you copyclip some code from some where and not write down who wrote it.  C'mon now... really... If you are going to get your feelings hurt because someone used your code and modified it, then don't post it.  If it has an author's name attached then it should remain intact.

CADaver

Who's code is it?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 04:58:33 PM »
Quote from: whdjr
If it has an author's name attached then it should remain intact.

Can-O-Worms alert
Can-O-Worms alert
Can-O-Worms alert

But how far do you carry that?  Now if I grab one of CAB's routines and change a single line for a specific task, okay his name stays.  that's easy.

But say I just scarf a single line of elegant code from him, one from Stig, another from Daron, two from Keith, put 'em all together with a couples lines of my own to do something totally different from any of the origianl functions.

Do I put everyone's name on it?  just mine?  none at all?  Are we even sure that the line was CAB's to start with?  Did someone else write that line first and CAB scarfed it for his coding effort.  Or maybe CAB just happened upon it on his own sometime later.  What then?

Can-O-Worms alert
Can-O-Worms alert
Can-O-Worms alert

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Who's code is it?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 05:38:42 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
Are we even sure that the line was CAB's to start with?

Heck no, & probably not. :)
And how unique can a few lines of code be after, how many years has lisp been around.
Surely every 3 line code snippet has been written at least once.
So where is the line, 4 lines, 5 lines?
I'm the worlds worst or is it best snippet combiner if there is such a thing. :)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

SMadsen

Who's code is it?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 06:08:05 PM »
Hear hear CAB. Not about the worlds worst (we are talking quite contrary here!!) but that every line of code and combinations of those lines has been written at least once.

What about such things as converting math into code. For example, do we credit Newton for writing gravity algorithms in AutoLISP? I mean, someone once sat down and did the math.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Who's code is it?
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 06:55:51 PM »
I say ban 'em all.... (or is that kill 'em all) .... either way, if the law was enforced to the letter, (it is getting closer and closer), rather than the intent, it is quite possible that no one could do anything, write anything, code anything... heck you couldn't breath because SOMEONE had already done it before you.

In so far as code is concerned,  I say don't take whole programs, heck, don't even take subroutines from programs, BUT, if there is a line of code that does a specific task, it has generally been held that the line of code does not constitute a copyrightable work unto it's own ....

Now ... what I think might be a good alternative IF you need to incorporate the code of another program, you could use the subroutine as local to your program, and utilize the output.

For example if someone writes a routine to do a specific task and you want to include that task, either rewrite the code yourself OR call the subroutine from your program as an external module. In this way, I think (in my non-expert opinion) the original code owner will retain ownership and his code will likely get more exposure because you will notify users that if they use your code they will need to also have this other specific program installed.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

Who's code is it?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »
Quote from: Keith
In so far as code is concerned,  I say don't take whole programs, heck, don't even take subroutines from programs, BUT, if there is a line of code that does a specific task, it has generally been held that the line of code does not constitute a copyrightable work unto it's own ....
How long a line??

whdjr

Who's code is it?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
If it has an author's name attached then it should remain intact.

Can-O-Worms alert
Can-O-Worms alert
Can-O-Worms alert

But how far do you carry that?  Now if I grab one of CAB's routines and change a single line for a specific task, okay his name stays.  that's easy.

But say I just scarf a single line of elegant code from him, one from Stig, another from Daron, two from Keith, put 'em all together with a couples lines of my own to do something totally different from any of the origianl functions.

Do I put everyone's name on it?  just mine?  none at all?  Are we even sure that the line was CAB's to start with?  Did someone else write that line first and CAB scarfed it for his coding effort.  Or maybe CAB just happened upon it on his own sometime later.  What then?

Can-O-Worms alert
Can-O-Worms alert
Can-O-Worms alert

This only illuminates my comment earlier
If you are going to get your feelings hurt because someone used your code and modified it, then don't post it.

don't post something if your gonna get your panties in a wad (sorry ladies) over someone using your code.

SMadsen

Who's code is it?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 09:02:45 AM »
Will, it doesn't need to be posted directly to a forum or ng. I could take some lines from Express Tools, post it here and "forget" where it came from without the owner of the proper intellectual rights having "posted" it anywhere but within the owners product.

whdjr

Who's code is it?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 10:23:49 AM »
Stig,

My comments so far have been directed to the individuals "OWN" personal code that they have written and then post, not someone else's code that they post.  I don't think you should post anybody else's code unless you have permission and the copyright they included in the code allows it.

CADaver

Who's code is it?
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 11:52:28 AM »
Quote from: SMadsen
Will, it doesn't need to be posted directly to a forum or ng. I could take some lines from Express Tools, post it here and "forget" where it came from without the owner of the proper intellectual rights having "posted" it anywhere but within the owners product.
My problem is that I have snipped and snagged and pilfered so much code over the years, then hobbed all that together for something else, then snipped and snagged from that, that I don't know where 90% of my code originated.  Full programs/functions I keep intact as written, but I've been a snippet code thief for a very long time.

SMadsen

Who's code is it?
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 12:09:04 PM »
CADaver, we've noticed  :lol:

CADaver

Who's code is it?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 12:42:55 PM »
Quote from: SMadsen
CADaver, we've noticed  :lol:
ummm.... ...oops...