Author Topic: {WishList} - Krushert  (Read 6821 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
{WishList} - Krushert
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »
Very cool tool but not what I need.  So close but so far away sort of thing.  :-)

I need version that that remembers the xrefs that were attached and reattaches them after they have been deattached.  The current project that we have been working on has process converyor and machines xrefs that we will attached every couple days or so for coordination purposes.  They are prefromace drags so we detach them when we do not need them.  The really pain in keister part is hunting and pecking part in a folder of 100 files.  

But I still thank you and like I said it is reall cool to see improvements from people we know
Thanks.

Refers to Glenn's XREF Proggy  http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=32868.msg383513#msg383513

Sounds like it could be done by keeping either external files or an external database (XML, whatever ) to keep a track of xrefs when they are detached.

... any takers ??
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:05:30 PM by Kerry Brown »
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: {WishList} - Krushert
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
Why go external?  Just keep them in a dictionary within the drawing database, that way they will always be there, the information that is.

I don't understand though.  Why not just unload them?  Does it really still bog down the drawings that much?
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »

Yep, the Dictionary would probably be better.

I don't play with Xrefs much at the moment, so the particular option peculiarities are .. uhmmmm .. peculiar
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Glenn R

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:05:27 AM »
Tim,

I just mentioned as much in the other thread < shrugs >

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »
Let's see what Krush comes back with then.  I think the unloading should solve the problem, but if not, I don't think changing some code I have written already will be to hard to accomplish this task.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »
Wow what bee hive I stir up!  :lol:  Sorry I have been reviewing shop drawings with the old fashion cad program called a red pencil and not check in here.

The reason for the detaching of xrefs is simple not really about the performance drag on Autocad.  We have to share.  :x :roll:  Our xrefs and along with everyone's xref are uploaded to BuzzSaw at least once a week if not more.  Per clients cad standards, we must detach all xrefs prior to uploading.  Afterward we reattach the xrefs after or just prior to WebEx Phone/Internet coordination meeting

For instance I have 17 xrefs that I have to attached for the coordination meeting.  In order to do this, I have to go hunting and pecking in folder that has 209 xref files.  If it was not for the required detaching, yes unloading would work fine and Glenn's proggy would be the cat's meow.

Thanks.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
in that case, I would write a batch file that copied all your files to an upload area, and script the detach.  Then you can upload and not lose your pathing
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Glenn R

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »
I thought as much myself Duh, but I suspect there's more to Krush's requirements than he's alluded to as yet...

pkohut

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »
The reason for the detaching of xrefs is simple not really about the performance drag on Autocad.  We have to share.  :x :roll:  Our xrefs and along with everyone's xref are uploaded to BuzzSaw at least once a week if not more.  Per clients cad standards, we must detach all xrefs prior to uploading.  Afterward we reattach the xrefs after or just prior to WebEx Phone/Internet coordination meeting

I've got an xref manager (mentioned before) that will probably serve your needs. It needs a bit of code clean up before being released, give me a few days.
http://paulkohut.tripod.com/xrefctrl.htm (A2004-2006)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
in that case, I would write a batch file that copied all your files to an upload area, and script the detach.  Then you can upload and not lose your pathing
That is a great idea if the problem was just focus on the upload part of the problem.  We still have the design coordination meetings where with Webex, we "share our desktop" online with whoever can see what we are looking at.  IN these situations we need different xrefs that what we what we would need at other times.

for instance I would have a xref loaded states as such
  • process webex meeting
  • owner/client webex meeting
  • MEP loaded
  • structural state
  • all xrefs detached.

each state would different xrefs combinations.

I do like your suggestion of batch filling for the upload part because we have some housekeeping on the files prior to uploading.  I would have to wire brush the rust off my DOS books for that though.   :-D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:06:16 AM by Krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Glenn R

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 11:56:22 AM »
Off the top of my head, you would need to store the following at a minimum:

1. Xref's scale, insertion point, rotation
2. Layer
3. Probably most important - the owner (think nesting - could be inside a block, but never should be IMO)
4. Name
5. Path

Glenn R

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »
Oh, and you would need to do this only for top level parent xrefs if you're using a nested chain of attach type xrefs.

pkohut

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »
Did a bunch of code cleanup and posted mine at
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=33112.0

Hopefully someone can compile and post builds for 64 bit and 2010.

Enjoy.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
...I would have to wire brush the rust off my DOS books for that though.   :-D
Let me know if you need some help
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
For that matter, I would do it in .Net, with a form that would let you pick a folder to process, and a target folder to put the files into.