Author Topic: CAD Standards - In-House & Contractor Versions  (Read 6965 times)

M-dub

CAD Standards - In-House & Contractor Versions
« on: December 01, 2004, 08:50:51 AM »
Hey all,
   Is there anyone out there who has a different set of standards for contractors than what they use for the in-house employees?  So far, we've used the same document for everyone, but I'm wondering if there should be a different version for our contractors.  Possibly with more focus on the sending and receiving of drawings and variables to be set.  It's not necessary that we maintain a separate version...I'm just throwing it out there as an idea.
   If anyone has any ideas about what to include with reference to contractors, please post away!  :)

Thanks a lot,
Mike

CADaver

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 08:56:52 AM »
We tried it once, to provide a distinction between our stuff and the contractors, but it made my job checking compliance a little bigger PITB.  So we dumped it in favor of a single, 'cross the board standard.  Everybody has the same yardstick.

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 08:58:30 AM »
Makes sense :)

Anyone else?

Jassper

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 03:31:04 PM »
We are making a standard drawing template for the consultants to use on all of our projects. This way there are no excuses, and everything is sooo much easier to import.

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 03:36:08 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly.  If you make it as easy as possible to have everything set up and have them ready to draw to standard, there should be few deviations from that standard.  However, there are ALWAYS exceptions and there always will be no matter how hard we try.
I'm just trying to get everything down in writing so they have even fewer excuses for straying from the standard practices and procedures.
Thanks Linda! ;)

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 09:46:42 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
So we dumped it in favor of a single, 'cross the board standard.  Everybody has the same yardstick.

How you accomplish this?

I consultants refuse to standardize anything in there own drawings, not alone
standardize with another disapline.

We have to have our M&E consultant make all there dwg into plot files so we can plot them on our end, because they have no standard pen setting between themselves.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 09:12:05 AM »
Speaking AS a contractor who has been working on the client's site for the past 9 months or so, I believe I can speak from both perspectives.

When I'm back at the office, we've got about...let's say 5 or 6 major clients and it's a bit of a struggle to keep up with everyone's standards...especially when the clients struggle to keep up with their own standards!  :roll:
To be honest, there shouldn't be any need to create a separate set of standards, but I think the key is to make it as simple as possible for everyone to follow them.  It's kinda like CAB's sig..."An extra dollar spent on "design" will save ten dollars during construction."  A little extra time spent smoothing over the standards will (hopefully) pay off in the long run.

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 07:50:34 AM »
Quote from: SPDCad
So we dumped it in favor of a single, 'cross the board standard.  Everybody has the same yardstick.

How you accomplish this?
By contract

I consultants refuse to standardize anything in there own drawings, not alone standardize with another disapline.

Quote from: SPDCad
We have to have our M&E consultant make all there dwg into plot files so we can plot them on our end, because they have no standard pen setting between themselves.

We spell out the acceptable standards in the contract, non-compliance is unacceptable and the offending party is liable for compliance and any penalties caused by such.

Jassper

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 09:41:19 AM »

We spell out the acceptable standards in the contract, non-compliance is unacceptable and the offending party is liable for compliance and any penalties caused by such.

We ran into this on a project - everything was on 24X36 for  a Cooler plant. Had Civil, Arch, Mech, Structural, Land, The fire guys sent us finals on 36X42 - I was absolutly shocked. They complained they would have to redo the whole layout - But they did when they wanted to get paid.

Working with the government of AZ, the standards for ADOT are atrocious, but you won't get the funding if they don't match what they require.

Little