Author Topic: Grading groups and size of file, I could use some thoughts  (Read 1685 times)

sourdough

• Bull Frog
Grading groups and size of file, I could use some thoughts
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »
Hi All
    I have seen the size of my file jump from 3 mg to 6 mg with the addition of 5 lots graded.
My question is if I had to do a subd. with over 100 lots what does everyone else do to keep the
size of there dwg file down. This is a heavily graded site (see pic). Should one create a dwg just
for grading and data shortcut/or xref it in or put it in? Hope to hear some positive ideas. This example
show has lot lines and all surfaces data shortcut in, then I decided to grade in that dwg. It seems to
be a big headache in the making. In addition, the loading of the dwg with grading in it takes forever as
it rebuilds the dwg when first loaded.

Thanks in advance.
MJP
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Grading groups and size of file, I could use some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »
I would be doing most of that lot grading as part of my corridor model...

Your answer is dependent on how you want to work with the gradings....

if you want to be able to use their power to 'balance' your earthwork, and or globally raise and or lower things like basins, then ALL gradings go in one file.

if you want to grade A lot, and have that particular lot balance unto itself, and NOT be connected to any other gradings, then each one goes in it's own file, and are short cut into the final...if that is needed or desired.

I would XREF in Lot lines...and Data Shortcut in EG...and I would also be doing some of that lot grading within the corridor...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:46:14 AM by Genghis Khan »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sourdough

• Bull Frog
Re: Grading groups and size of file, I could use some thoughts
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »
Mike

Thanks for the methods, I was coming to some of them, but just started seeing my file size jump faster than I thought it
might.

MJP

I would be doing most of that lot grading as part of my corridor model...

Your answer is dependent on how you want to work with the gradings....

if you want to be able to use their power to 'balance' your earthwork, and or globally raise and or lower things like basins, then ALL gradings go in one file.

if you want to grad A lot, and have that particular lot balance unto itself, and NOT be connected to any other gradings, then each one goes in it's own file, and are short cut into the final...if that is needed or desired.

I would XREF in Lot lines...and Data Shortcut in EG...and I would also be doing some of that lot grading within the corridor...
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit