Author Topic: Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?  (Read 12942 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 10:28:46 AM »
The Help system is Web-based. You’ll be opening HTML files. As long as you’re connected to the Internet, they’ll be from Autodesk’s Web site. The new system takes a little getting used to.

Wow, fail.  Epic fail.  I guess everyone in the world has internet 24/7, huh?  Jackoffs.  :roll:

They added two variables, one to use internet help or the installed help and the other to use IE or the default browser which dose not support all Autodesk Help Features.   :ugly:

I think a biog waste is the changing of the grid to graph lines.  but that is my narrow minded opinion.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 10:35:21 AM »
Just as a possibility, there is a subscription advantage pack that might be a 'bandaid' feature until they get that added:
http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2009/10/autocad-2010-subscription-advantage-pack---timesaver-tools.html
Hide and isolate objects: A top AUGI request, AutoCAD users now have the ability to turn on and off objects regardless of layer. Because of this key timesaver, you no longer need to track down objects across many layers in order to hide information that isn’t relevant while you update a drawing. And you can quickly show or hide the objects again as needed.
No this has nothing to do with layer.  This feature and and the select similar has been in Arch vertical since 2008 and I think but not sure 2007.  These two tools are very very powerful.  IMO they should have been added to all Auotcad products a long time ago.  They did improve them with some settings and filters (respectively) which I am looking forward to but they are no big hurrah for me.  Did I say these are however tools. 

Now they just need to add the AEC modify tools to all programs.

JCTER

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
The Help system is Web-based. You’ll be opening HTML files. As long as you’re connected to the Internet, they’ll be from Autodesk’s Web site. The new system takes a little getting used to.

Wow, fail.  Epic fail.  I guess everyone in the world has internet 24/7, huh?  Jackoffs.  :roll:

They added two variables, one to use internet help or the installed help and the other to use IE or the default browser which dose not support all Autodesk Help Features.   :ugly:

I think a biog waste is the changing of the grid to graph lines.  but that is my narrow minded opinion.

Yea, they keep tinkering with a couple tiny things like grid and default background color and the UCS icon.  They are all teeny tiny miniscule things, but just sort of an eye-roller with me, I guess.  TBH, the graph paper thing is possibly a common user comment... most every other CAD or modeling program I've used has the graph paper thing going on.  However, I can see how people who routinely -use- grid, who are used to -dots- will be a bit peaved at it being changed -for them-... I do not know if this is something you can toggle between dots and graph lines... but that would have been a smart idea for them to do, imo, to supply a toggle, rather than full change.

Not a dog in that hunt though, as I eschew all grid-and-snap settings.  Can't think that I've ever used it in the past 4+ years with this company, nor the last I worked for.

It irks me slightly that they took the arrow heads off the 2D UCS icon though... but it won't affect me.

OH!  and thanks for the tip on the help files.  My main concern was using Autocad at home where I don't always care to keep internet, during -often- DSL interruption at work, and needing to access Help files (which is an often occurrence)  Good that they still have the help file installed locally then.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
OH!  and thanks for the tip on the help files.  My main concern was using Autocad at home where I don't always care to keep internet, during -often- DSL interruption at work, and needing to access Help files (which is an often occurrence)  Good that they still have the help file installed locally then.

What they should have done is added a sub-option to the local help files.  That when you do connect to internet you get a download of the latest and greatest set of help files.  Just my crazy tinkering thought.

JCTER

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »

What they should have done is added a sub-option to the local help files.  That when you do connect to internet you get a download of the latest and greatest set of help files.  Just my crazy tinkering thought.

That would be neat too.  I don't know how often they're updated, though, so it may be a moot point.

I know they've already had their help file system online for a while, and I -have- used it on occasion, when I find error in my local help files, and it has been a great help.  I was just under the misconception that they migrated -completely- to online-only help, to which I abhorred... but since that's not the case, all is well in my little world!

KewlToyZ

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »
I've been asking for "select similiar" to be added to Vanilla AutoCAD just based on the Object Enabler libraries since 2007 Building Systems. The plain simple fact is, we don't use the aec content because of the poor proprietary version compatibility issues sarrounding them for MEP. We stick with our own block libraries with some dynamic features added and leave it at that. Why? Less training time wasted on instant annual obsolescence.
But we have to use the vertical to get the select similiar feature.
With 2010 I was however able to trick the ACAD profile to use the select similiar with the MEP libraries but not load out as full MEP.
So the feature is entirely possible since 2007 they just refuse to do it.

M-dub

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
We use grid occasionally and I agree with you in hoping that it's an option... Dots OR Lines.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
We use grid occasionally and I agree with you in hoping that it's an option... Dots OR Lines.
According to the Download the AutoCAD 2011 Preview Guide it has been REPLACED!  Que the weird music

Drawing Window
The drawing window has been updated in AutoCAD 2011 to display a dark gray background in modelspace.
You can easily modify the drawing window color from the Display tab of the Options dialog box.

The traditional dot grid has been replaced with horizontal and vertical gridlines to more closely
represent engineering graph paper. When the grid is enabled, red and green lines extend from the UCS
icon to represent the X and Y axes of the origin.

wwhittle

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »
Is it ready. cool. Ill download now.

JCTER

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »
Is it ready. cool. Ill download now.

Possibly not ready depending on your subscription account... it still hasn't showed up for our subscription account, though we have Inventor 2011 up there already.

wwhittle

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
doh!  :realmad:

An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #50.459a7b5c.1269534348.55b8483

Kate M

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »
According to the Download the AutoCAD 2011 Preview Guide it has been REPLACED!  Que the weird music

Drawing Window
The drawing window has been updated in AutoCAD 2011 to display a dark gray background in modelspace.
You can easily modify the drawing window color from the Display tab of the Options dialog box.

The traditional dot grid has been replaced with horizontal and vertical gridlines to more closely
represent engineering graph paper. When the grid is enabled, red and green lines extend from the UCS
icon to represent the X and Y axes of the origin.
The ribbon "replaced" menus and toolbars, too. :-)

(Drafting settings, Grid and Snap tab)

Kate M

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »

Wow, fail.  Epic fail.  I guess everyone in the world has internet 24/7, huh?
If you're not connected to the internet, it defaults to the off-line files.

JCTER

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »

Wow, fail.  Epic fail.  I guess everyone in the world has internet 24/7, huh?
If you're not connected to the internet, it defaults to the off-line files.

Yea, Krush enlightened me to that, later.  Mucho happy for that.  I thought it was a "replaced" thing, when I was reading the new feature overview, and turns out, happily, that I misread, or misinterpreted!

What do you think of 2011? ;)

sinc

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 02:37:49 PM »
For me, it's the usual.  There's some neat features I'd like to start trying to use, but I'm fearful, and C3D 2011 won't touch any production drawings until after SP1...

Autodesk has trained me to behave this way.    :|