Author Topic: Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?  (Read 12910 times)

KewlToyZ

Re: Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »
So far AutoCAD MEP 2011 =

JCTER

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »
So where the heck are you guys downloading it?  I can't find it in my subscription center.  What a rip!

Previous Release

Version   Title Release Date Download Log
 There are no current products available to you. Please select from the following. 
2010     AutoCAD 2010 English  Mar 24, 2009 View Log 
2010     AutoCAD Inventor Suite 2010 English  Mar 24, 2009 View Log 
2009     Autodesk Inventor Suite 2009 English  Mar 25, 2008 View Log 
2009     AutoCAD 2009 English  Mar 24, 2008 View Log 

JCTER

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
Anyone at least have a link to a "what's new" section for it?  I saw some general overviews on JTBWorld, which included some sweet additions I've wanted, but that's surely not total coverage, just an overview.

Also, can you guys get to the subscription center via  - subscription.autodesk.com - using Firefox?

It takes me to a redirection that constantly bounces back and forth and never loads a page. 

The address bar shows this:
Code: [Select]
https://subscription.autodesk.com/ConsolidatedLogin/wsResponseRedirect.action?TAM_OP=login&USERNAME=unauthenticated&ERROR_CODE=0x00000000&ERROR_TEXT=HPDBA0521I%20%20%20Successful%20completion&URL=%2Fsp&REFERER=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dautodesk%2Bsubscription%2Bcenter%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial%26client%3Dfirefox-a&HOSTNAME=subscription.autodesk.com&OLDSESSION=1and never arrives at a destination.

I have to use freaking Internet Explorer to get to it (Don't have Chrome installed)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:01:24 PM by James Cannon »

sinc

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
In general, Autodesk has shown itself to be very unaware of Firefox, and many Autodesk products and websites have trouble with Firefox.

JCTER

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
In general, Autodesk has shown itself to be very unaware of Firefox, and many Autodesk products and websites have trouble with Firefox.

Ok, then.  So long as it's not on my side, that's fine.  I was worried (even after updating Firefox) that I screwed something up.  If it's their fault, that's fine with me, just so long as I know it ain't me, haha.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
It must be you Jo, er, James. I just logged on without a hitch using FF 3.6. Perhaps you have a bad/old login that is getting auto entered?

JCTER

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »
It must be you Jo, er, James. I just logged on without a hitch using FF 3.6. Perhaps you have a bad/old login that is getting auto entered?

Possibly.  I'll try clearing cookies***.  Personally, I liked it better when it was Autodesk's fault.  :-D

***Whaddya know!  That did it!  Thanks Jeff, you're a smart feller :P

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
Now James...even I know it can't always be their fault.... ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
The process runs out of memory, not the machine.

That's not true of 64-bit Autocad.  With 64-bit Autocad on a 64-bit OS, the process can address far more memory than you can install on your system.
This should be true in a properly written process, but I watch the resources, and it never gets past 1/3rd of the available resources before dying out with exceptions. I venture the memory address is causing the fault and not the amount of memory to address. Maybe once the floating points go beyond the ceiling for that address and becomes a scientific number instead of an integer?
The code may still be 32 bit for the process used even though it is a 64 bit version of AutoCAD?
I'm making a bunch of stupid mental punts at what the problem may be but it isnt the OS or the hardware out of memory.

The problem may be that while Acad runs in as a 64 bit process, the .DWG format is still 32bit.
Acad probably has to do a bit of juggling to maintain drawing compatibility across platforms.

JCTER

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 09:48:10 AM »
The Help system is Web-based. You’ll be opening HTML files. As long as you’re connected to the Internet, they’ll be from Autodesk’s Web site. The new system takes a little getting used to.

Wow, fail.  Epic fail.  I guess everyone in the world has internet 24/7, huh?  Jackoffs.  :roll:

Secondary Grip Editing

Polylines have grips at the midpoints of their segments, called secondary grips. You can use them to convert the segment to an arc (or to a line if it’s an arc), stretch it, or add a vertex. You can do the same with the traditional grips, now called primary grips.

Awesome!  I noticed the secondary grip on hatches since the last release, when the added grips to hatches, and was impressed.  I actually used that pretty awesome with unassociative hatches, and found it to be an excellent tool.  I could see myself using this often... the only other previous route was to PEDIT > Edit Vertex > Insert... which is a PITA often times, especially if you don't know which 'direction' the points go, in order, before adding a vertex.  This will cut down on a lot of time for me, when editting plines.

New Transparency Property

Objects can now be transparent and you can set the transparency percentage. Transparency is an object property just like color and linetype, so you can create layers with transparency. You’ll probably want to use transparency for fills and gradients; it doesn’t do much for the outlines of objects. Here you see some trees at 60% transparency, showing the outline of the house through them.

This has been asked for a long time now.  I can see myself using this, but am unsure where... it's something I didn't know whether it would come along, so I didn't put much thought into how I'd use it, if I had it.  I do know it's a popular request, and am glad to see it put in. 

---------------

I'm -way- behind in getting up to speed with their new improvements to mesh and surface creation/editting, because it mainly isn't a tool that applies to structural design much... we use standard shapes, and thus don't need organic modeling concepts or on-the-fly editting of such.  Everything for us is a standard extrusion, pretty much, so editting the cross section polyline will update the shape... on the rare case we use it...

...however they seem to have really come through with a powerful tool that has just become quite bulky in it's possibilities.

I'm pretty impressed with the update.  Some good tools that will make me, and others in my office, pretty happy.  Eager to give this beast a twirl.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »
Secondary Grip Editing

Polylines have grips at the midpoints of their segments, called secondary grips. You can use them to convert the segment to an arc (or to a line if it’s an arc), stretch it, or add a vertex. You can do the same with the traditional grips, now called primary grips.

Awesome!  I noticed the secondary grip on hatches since the last release, when the added grips to hatches, and was impressed.  I actually used that pretty awesome with unassociative hatches, and found it to be an excellent tool.  I could see myself using this often... the only other previous route was to PEDIT > Edit Vertex > Insert... which is a PITA often times, especially if you don't know which 'direction' the points go, in order, before adding a vertex.  This will cut down on a lot of time for me, when editting plines.

Intersection grips work the way they should now which is a real bonus.
I wonder who snagged the code from McNeel  :ugly:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 10:04:40 AM »
The Help system is Web-based. You’ll be opening HTML files. As long as you’re connected to the Internet, they’ll be from Autodesk’s Web site. The new system takes a little getting used to.

Wow, fail.  Epic fail.  I guess everyone in the world has internet 24/7, huh?  Jackoffs.  :roll:

do I hear the sound of the IGNORE button being clicked around the world....?

oh wait...it's OK when anyone else goes on a rant..... :police:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »
Secondary Grip Editing

Intersection grips work the way they should now which is a real bonus.
I wonder who snagged the code from McNeel  :ugly:

hahah yea.  That and the transparency thing (amongst others, I'm sure) are things that Autocad has lacked where others excelled for a long time.  The transparency thing, above most, is one I recall seeing from people who switch to Autocad from other platforms and cry out "Wait what... why the heck CAN'T Autocad do this like I could do on 'xxxx' ?"

M-dub

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »
I know we will use the transparency setting.  That's a long overdue feature.

I was hoping to find a plot property feature had been added.  Nothing yet...

JCTER

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 10:24:27 AM »
I know we will use the transparency setting.  That's a long overdue feature.

I was hoping to find a plot property feature had been added.  Nothing yet...

Just as a possibility, there is a subscription advantage pack that might be a 'bandaid' feature until they get that added:
http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2009/10/autocad-2010-subscription-advantage-pack---timesaver-tools.html
Hide and isolate objects: A top AUGI request, AutoCAD users now have the ability to turn on and off objects regardless of layer. Because of this key timesaver, you no longer need to track down objects across many layers in order to hide information that isn’t relevant while you update a drawing. And you can quickly show or hide the objects again as needed.