Author Topic: Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?  (Read 12816 times)

PITSTOP#1

Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:52:24 AM »
Available for subs members

KewlToyZ

Re: Anyone downloaded 2011 Yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »
Downloading it out of curiosity.
Not in much hurry to change anything unless they dramatically reduced the overhead of the 2010 interface.

JCTER

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I'll probably just read over the documentation and see if anything perks my interest.  I'll install it for me, per usual, and evaluate if I want to bother the rest of the users with the upgrade.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:24:04 AM »
Yeah I am going to play around with the 64 bit version.
I noticed my i7 core never really uses its potential with 2010 when auditing or modifying a complex drawing.
It would be nice to see things take advantage of the extra cores and multi threading.

JCTER

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »
I noticed my i7 core never really uses its potential with 2010 when auditing or modifying a complex drawing.
It would be nice to see things take advantage of the extra cores and multi threading.

Agreed, especially considering how fast the technology is passing up software requirements.  Funny how it used to be that the software was -far- from being the bottleneck for common computers, and now the common computer is advanced enough, or designed for speed in a way, that the software is left dumbfounded and comparatively puttering along.

sinc

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »

Keep wishing.  The only real benefit of 64-bit so far seems to be that it doesn't run out of memory as easily.  There may be something that's faster, but nothing has jumped out at me as being radically different.

sinc

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
In particular, handling of large images seems to be as poor as ever.  This is one area where Bentley seems to be worlds ahead of Autocad.  I keep wishing that some of whatever magic Navisworks uses will make its way into Autocad...

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »

Keep wishing.  The only real benefit of 64-bit so far seems to be that it doesn't run out of memory as easily.  There may be something that's faster, but nothing has jumped out at me as being radically different.

TBH, running out of memory is my biggest problem, as far as I can tell.  So even just switching to a 64 bit system would be kick-butt for me.  I too often, even with one file open, get "system is running out of memory, do you wish to proceed with the operation?" even if only running the program for an hour or two.  I would definitely benefit from more processor power being used, but the memory -is- a big issue for me on my 32-bit OS.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
Windows 7 handles memory much better.
But even on a 64 bit version with 6 GB of RAM, the problem is still occurring when you get a 3D file over 12 MB.
The problem is in AutoCAD and not the OS or hardware.
The process runs out of memory, not the machine.

JCTER

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 10:17:32 AM »
Windows 7 handles memory much better.
But even on a 64 bit version with 6 GB of RAM, the problem is still occurring when you get a 3D file over 12 MB.
The problem is in AutoCAD and not the OS or hardware.

/sigh

yea.. that's my problems.  I know there are problems with Autocad's ability, but I figure that hardware can maybe help alleviate those problems slightly.  I can't even render an animation past like 3 seconds, using a decent amount of quality and lighting. :\

KewlToyZ

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »
Rendering and Animation will benefit from better hardware depending on what you use for your software to accomplish it.
Personally if I am working in 3D I prefer Rhino (NURBS Modeler) or 3DS Max.

JCTER

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:38:28 AM »
Rendering and Animation will benefit from better hardware depending on what you use for your software to accomplish it.
Personally if I am working in 3D I prefer Rhino (NURBS Modeler) or 3DS Max.

Those two -are- so -much- more efficient, that's for sure.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »
Rhinocerous is a personal favorite of mine. Very very fast work environment and very intuitive.
McNeel did an awesome job introducing it. Also an awesome customer service group.

sinc

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 11:31:46 AM »

That's not true of 64-bit Autocad.  With 64-bit Autocad on a 64-bit OS, the process can address far more memory than you can install on your system.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »

That's not true of 64-bit Autocad.  With 64-bit Autocad on a 64-bit OS, the process can address far more memory than you can install on your system.
This should be true in a properly written process, but I watch the resources, and it never gets past 1/3rd of the available resources before dying out with exceptions. I venture the memory address is causing the fault and not the amount of memory to address. Maybe once the floating points go beyond the ceiling for that address and becomes a scientific number instead of an integer?
The code may still be 32 bit for the process used even though it is a 64 bit version of AutoCAD?
I'm making a bunch of stupid mental punts at what the problem may be but it isnt the OS or the hardware out of memory.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:18:26 PM by KewlToyZ »