Author Topic: New Project  (Read 8160 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
New Project
« on: November 24, 2003, 06:51:54 AM »
Ok all you pond scum....thats a little higher than the bottom dwellers for all of you lacking sufficient knowledge of a watery ecosystem, we will discuss what an ecosystem is later, it doesn't really matter right now.

What does matter is that I need to put together a program that will open 4000 drawings in succession, spread out in various folders, then remove and replace or redefine a nested block, then remove or rename an existing layer, finally purge any extraneous information and save the drawing. I already have a good start with a program that will open and close all drawings in a specified folder, but what I was wondering is:

Should I attempt to redefine the block within the program or in the interest of widespread usability, should I make a form that asks what block to replace and let the user select an existing block from the hard drive. Either way, I need for this to be hands free after running the program. Since VBA can run across multiple drawings it would be my language of choice.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Ron Heigh

New Project
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 08:51:11 AM »
That fastest and easiers way would be to hard code the block names into your program.
If you have the source, you can always change them later if they change.

daron

New Project
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 09:06:57 AM »
Keith, did you ever get into ObjectDBX? I understand that it can be written from vba and it sounds like as long as you don't need a selection set, you can do this. I think I have a file that was given me that is ODX. I'll post it so you can look at it.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
New Project
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 09:07:07 AM »
That was my thinking, but I was also considering whether this would be a program that would be used once or many times.

So all of you coders out there, lets see what we can come up with.

This is the base that I have:
Code: [Select]

Sub GeneratePreview()
 Dim CurrentDwg As AcadDocument
 Dim File As Variant
 Dim Folder As String
 ThisDrawing.SetVariable "Acadlspasdoc", 0
 'the ReturnFolder command is externally defined and pops up a window alowing the user to browse for a folder
 Folder = ReturnFolder.ReturnFolder("File location to generate previews: ")
 File = Dir(Folder & "\*.DWG")
 While File <> ""
 Set CurrentDwg = Application.Documents.Open(Folder & "\" & File)
 CurrentDwg.Activate
 Application.ZoomExtents
 CurrentDwg.Close True
 Set CurrentDwg = Nothing
 File = Dir
 Wend
 ThisDrawing.SetVariable "Acadlspasdoc", 1
End Sub

I am now thinking of a way to open subfolders and their drawings, although I am not really worried about that at the time.

As I progress I will post more info.

daron

New Project
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 09:23:40 AM »
Have a look here. This was written for ODX to update a block in multiple drawings. I never used it, but it might give you an idea of how to write your code. You would need to set a reference to ObjectDBX Type 1.0. I can't find one in 2004, but I know it's there in 2002. The thing I like about ODX is that you can't open the drawings to update them. I've read that it is faster. It makes sense to me.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
New Project
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 09:27:15 AM »
Thx I will take a look.