Author Topic: Reducing the file size to make large contour set... help  (Read 13488 times)

sinc

Re: Reducing the file size to make large contour set... help
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »
I have yet to see a Xeon chip that outperforms other options, as far as price/performance for Civil 3D.  But all this stuff changes pretty fast...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
SINC, you might be on to something in regards MAP tools...see attached image...

in my book that is a whole lotta nadda
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
Oooh...  I wonder if C3D is smart enough to weed those points first, or if it is trying to process all those zero-length segments as additional TIN edges...?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Oooh...  I wonder if C3D is smart enough to weed those points first, or if it is trying to process all those zero-length segments as additional TIN edges...?

I think, what is happening is that it attempts to sort all those points, determining the duplicates, and then ignores them...
exccept it probably crashes BEFORE it gets to the ignore part....

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
OK,

I have confirmation here, that once the data is pushed against the wall with Map Cleanup tools, and the MOB of zero length polyline segments are remove, C3D has NO trouble building that surface, even on this cheesy Laptop that I use for my training classes.
I built it without the inside boundary as shown in the original image posted.  Final Size 108,965KB.

Along the way I also discovered that the MAP Query to Report Function is STILL broken and introduces invisible HEX data into the TXT file that it writes on output.  

For the Record, I was already headed towards pushing this data through MAP, as it is a practice I adopted a long time ago whenever working with any data from any outside source.

Why; you might ask do I do this.  The answer is by using MAP to examine others data, I am absolutely certain that I am not altering the original source files accidentally.  Now if only Adesk would allow us to use MAP on C3D objects.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:07:32 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 11:55:51 PM »
Mike
   I went to my Map and used dwg clean up and I don't have a zero length polyline segment option to remove.
Could you show a snapshot of where I can pick that, please.

MJP

OK,

I have confirmation here, that once the data is pushed against the wall with Map Cleanup tools, and the MOB of zero length polyline segments are remove, C3D has NO trouble building that surface, even on this cheesy Laptop that I use for my training classes.
I built it without the inside boundary as shown in the original image posted.  Final Size 108,965KB.

Along the way I also discovered that the MAP Query to Report Function is STILL broken and introduces invisible HEX data into the TXT file that it writes on output.  

For the Record, I was already headed towards pushing this data through MAP, as it is a practice I adopted a long time ago whenever working with any data from any outside source.

Why; you might ask do I do this.  The answer is by using MAP to examine others data, I am absolutely certain that I am not altering the original source files accidentally.  Now if only Adesk would allow us to use MAP on C3D objects.
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »
It is found on the Select Actions Page of the wizard...

Note one should NOT select all of those options in one fell swoop..there is a proscribed order for using them.  I normally cover that sequence as part of my normal class.

To select cleanup actions and set options

On the Select Actions page, select the cleanup actions to perform by adding them to the Selected Actions list.
To add a cleanup action to the Selected Actions list, select the action in the Cleanup Actions list, and click Add.

In the Selected Actions list, specify the order of cleanup actions. The order can affect results. The first action in the list is performed first. To change the order, highlight an action and click the up or down arrow.
In the Selected Actions list, select the action for which you want to specify settings.
Under Cleanup Parameters, specify the settings to use for the selected action. For more information about each cleanup action, click one of the following links:
Delete Duplicates
Erase Short Objects
Break Crossing Objects
Extend Undershoots
Apparent Intersection
Snap Clustered Nodes
Dissolve Pseudo Nodes
Erase Dangling Objects
Simplify Objects
Zero-Length Objects
Weed Polylines
To review detected errors before correcting them, under Options, select Interactive. To have AutoCAD Map 3D correct all detected errors without further input from you, select Automatic.
Note Simplify Objects and Weed Polylines are not interactive operations. AutoCAD Map 3D makes these changes automatically during cleanup.
Click Next.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:58:09 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 01:37:21 AM »
Mike
    That did the trick. Thanks
Mike

It is found on the Select Actions Page of the wizard...

Note one should NOT select all of those options in one fell swoop..there is a proscribed order for using them.  I normally cover that sequence as part of my normal class.

To select cleanup actions and set options

On the Select Actions page, select the cleanup actions to perform by adding them to the Selected Actions list.
To add a cleanup action to the Selected Actions list, select the action in the Cleanup Actions list, and click Add.

In the Selected Actions list, specify the order of cleanup actions. The order can affect results. The first action in the list is performed first. To change the order, highlight an action and click the up or down arrow.
In the Selected Actions list, select the action for which you want to specify settings.
Under Cleanup Parameters, specify the settings to use for the selected action. For more information about each cleanup action, click one of the following links:
Delete Duplicates
Erase Short Objects
Break Crossing Objects
Extend Undershoots
Apparent Intersection
Snap Clustered Nodes
Dissolve Pseudo Nodes
Erase Dangling Objects
Simplify Objects
Zero-Length Objects
Weed Polylines
To review detected errors before correcting them, under Options, select Interactive. To have AutoCAD Map 3D correct all detected errors without further input from you, select Automatic.
Note Simplify Objects and Weed Polylines are not interactive operations. AutoCAD Map 3D makes these changes automatically during cleanup.
Click Next.

LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »
No thank you!

If this project is going to span the entire section...you still might consider using 1/4 sections lines as normal locations to grid the data, and offer up as Data References.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

reno

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
or perhaps (if you are using 2010) you could use the cropped surface tools that came with the subscription advantage pack.  haven't used them myself but they might work.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
or perhaps (if you are using 2010) you could use the cropped surface tools that came with the subscription advantage pack.  haven't used them myself but they might work.

I'm not sure that 'cropping' the surface reduces the file size....Do you have a README on that feature handy to post RENO?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

reno

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »

I'm not sure that 'cropping' the surface reduces the file size....Do you have a README on that feature handy to post RENO?
'nope'

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:07 PM »
This is from the help for it:
Use the Create Cropped Surface command to create a surface that is a copy of a polygonal area of a source surface. Each cropped area becomes a separate surface object (a new surface) that you can manage and manipulate.

When you create a surface by cropping the source surface, or when you rebuild the new surface, AutoCAD Civil 3D creates a copy from the saved version of the source surface. If you modify the source surface and want the changes to be reflected in the new surface, save the drawing containing the source surface before you rebuild the new surface.

Note When a new surface is created, AutoCAD Civil 3D takes a snapshot of the new surface. To rebuild the new surface, you must first perform the Rebuild Snapshot command and then the Rebuild command.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »
OK, from that I get that 'cropping' does not reduce file size, just the area.  And whatever data it is that makes up that area is what it is, no bigger or smaller.  Just a more convenient, or efficient method to both get to that smaller area, of the whole.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell