Author Topic: Strange error  (Read 5197 times)

surveyor_randy

Strange error
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm encountering a strange error that I can't find much information about on the net.  This is regarding Civil 3D 2009.  We have one machine that we've determined is generating corrupted drawings.  When you open one of the drawings generated on the bad machine on another machine, you get the following error message:

Reverse lookup found:
{0x042800CC,'aecc00080000ffff0000ccaeccae0000PrtSN','aecc00080000ffff0000ccaecca
e0000Part Size Name'}.
{0x042803ED,'aecc00080000ffff0000ccaeccae0000PrtS^','aecc00080000ffff0000ccaecca
e0000Part Size Name'} local must be unique.

and it increases the filesize by about 1 MB and makes C3D run extremely slow.  The problem is, when you open this drawing on another computer, it will corrupt anything that you work on and save unless you exit C3D before working on a non-troublesome drawing.  If you open the file on the suspected bad machine, you don't get this error.

This has me puzzled.  Has anyone encountered this before and do you know what might be causing it.

There are no pipe networks in any of these drawings.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Strange error
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »
first I would replace the Pipe Catalog folder on the Bad Machine. I suspect the user tried to create a custom pipe or structure from an existing pipe or structure and did not give it(them) a NEW name.

then I would attempt repair install; or better a Clean Install of C3D

and send a copy of said file to me to examine
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:17:29 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

surveyor_randy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:28:29 AM »
and send a copy of said file to me to examine

Thanks Michael, I sent you an email with the drawing.  I'm out in the field today so I'm not going to re-install C3D on that machine until tomorrow.  The interesting thing is, the person whos machine is having the problem is a planning person and doesn't work with pipe networks or parts at all!  really strange.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »
The BAD News:
The users DWT is corrupt is the official word from Adesk on this issue, and you are not alone.
It is also consistent in that this problem is NOT affecting every computer in the office, just a random one here or there just as you describe.  I suspect a registry key error of some sort as regards the pipe catalog.

The GOOD News:

The 'solution' to said drawing corruption caused from the defective DWT files is rather easy. 

If one performs a WBLOCK on the file using the ENTIRE DRAWING option, the error is removed.

Thanks for contacting Prime Services for your support needs!

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »
Moderator, can we move this topic into the Land Lubber Section?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

surveyor_randy

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 05:54:59 PM »
If it IS the template, then how come if you are using C3D and open an infected drawing, once you've closed that drawing (but haven't exited C3D), any other drawing you open and save will be infected?  These other drawings aren't even using similar templates.  I have a feeling that something is happening internally to C3D when it encounters the 'reverse lookup area' and it is changing a part of code that is already in memory but not saving it as a setting.  I was aware of the WBLOCK work around but wanted to determine the real cause of the error rather then a work-around.  I saw the post on Autodesks forums regarding the error and the user who posted over there had determined that their template was corrupted.  I haven't looked at this users PC to see if they are using a non-company wide template.

Interestingly enough, if you open one of those corrupted drawings on that particular users PC, the error message about 'reverse lookup' doesn't appear.

Thanks for the help Michael, I'm sure that you will run into others with a similar problem.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
If it IS the template, then how come if you are using C3D and open an infected drawing, .....

Thanks for the help Michael, I'm sure that you will run into others with a similar problem.

That is just another one of the symptoms of this particular (peculiar) problem.  Again I think it is a registry issue at some level.

Happy to help when I can!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

reno

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »
Sounds similar to the acad.vlx virus.  Have you tried this?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13717811&linkID=9240617

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:20:09 AM »
Sounds similar to the acad.vlx virus.  Have you tried this?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13717811&linkID=9240617

Tested, for that.

It is NOT in any way related to the acad.vlx virus.

From autodesk:

They are unable to address the DWT and remove the message. The information they gave me:

"There's no magical resolution to the users problem. Basically every drawing has thousands of attributes (internal properties) and this particular .dwt file has a single corrupt attribute for a network catalog part name. Rather than seeing an internal string name "PartSizeName" I'm seeing "PartS{zeName" instead which is bogus. I cannot tell you how this came to be and I do not see anything that suggests this is something that can be fixed. From what I can tell this shouldn't affect how parts are created, how part lists are created, how existing parts are used, etc. Technically the message is occurring because the "PartS{zeName" is being looked up in a table (string to ID lookup) and ACAD is spitting out that message which is something I cannot suppress or change. At this point the only suggestion is to continue rebuilding your DWT and make plenty of backups as you update the template. I suggest making a new back up at least every few hours so that only that much work will be lost if something should go wrong.

I'm sorry that we are unable to address the DWT directly.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

surveyor_randy

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
I think that explanation by Autodesk is complete BS.  They could VERY EASILY determine what is causing that error to be thrown when the drawing is being loaded.  The problem obviously fires a trigger that displays that error message.

Also, once the drawing loads into memory, it corrupts something in the memory that is running the current C3D session.  This causes the error to propagate to every drawing saved during that session.  Because of this, I highly doubt it is a 'drawing setting'.  I've never known drawing settings to be maintained in memory after the drawing has been closed.  The only way to avoid it is to exit C3D before loading a 'good' drawing.  WBLOCK is the accepted 'FIX' but it isn't really a fix, but a cheap workaround.

And it DOES sound like a virus, but it isn't the acad.vlx virus.  But it behaves in a similar manner.  Drawing files get larger, C3D runs slower, etc...

I tried creating a blank drawing and saving it as 'good.dwg'.  Then, I loaded a corrupted drawing (to corrupt my current session), exited the corrupted drawing and then opened up the 'good.dwg' inorder to infect it.  I then saved the drawing as 'corrupted.dwg'.  The corrupted dwg is about 1 MB larger.  I tried to do a hex compare, since I hadn't changed anything in the drawing, but you can't do it that way because the differences are too vast.

I'll figure this one out in due time.  It is more of an annoyance than anything else and it just gives ammunition to people who are still ANTI-C3D at the office!  :x

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 07:19:03 PM »
careful there Randy....next thing you know....folks will think you turning into me....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell