Author Topic: Gems & other stuff ...  (Read 23697 times)

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: Gems & other stuff ...
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2024, 04:43:21 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty scary!

You'd think they would do a "canary test" before a huge rollout like that, much better to only have a few hundred or a thousand go down and catch it early.
But I'm thinking that would be S.O.P. so how did it happen....unless a hacker "zero'd" out the patch/update file when the person responsible pushed the update.
Anyway, something or someone screwed up big time!
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Everything that is possible demands to exist"
- Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz

Zeftax

• Newt
  • Measure once, cut thrice, glue, and cut again.
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2024, 04:49:03 AM »
I've read somewhere that the company was phasing out QA and testers, thinking they could be replaced by AI. I guess not  :-P 
But their CEO was also a CTO at McAffe around 2013 when something similar happened to them, so maybe just bad practices over all.
I use Central European Time, dunno why my profile says otherwise.
Pastafarian minister, dungeon master, concertina player, and sometimes I do a bit of CADing as well.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2024, 05:07:44 AM »
I've read somewhere that the company was phasing out QA and testers, thinking they could be replaced by AI. I guess not  :-P 
But their CEO was also a CTO at McAffe around 2013 when something similar happened to them, so maybe just bad practices over all.

:-o
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Everything that is possible demands to exist"
- Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2024, 05:09:09 AM »
Definitely the company screwed up, could have been only been one line of code, written by one person, but the company system failed