Author Topic: Total Newbie Coming in for a crash landing  (Read 4962 times)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Total Newbie Coming in for a crash landing
« on: November 24, 2004, 02:34:24 PM »
I am just starting to learn VB.  A friend gave me a copy of VB 6 and said have fun  :roll: , so I decided what the " " I'll give it a whirl.  So I decided that the first thing that I am going to try was to create an app for autocad.  (More or less a block insertion routine).  I have and  folder with anderson windows in it that I file though to find what I need so I thought what a great start.

I have created the forms and added the controls and even add some of the control events.  My question is what do I need to do in order to keep my app a child of the autocad window?  Is there a control that I can use to dock the window in the autocad window?

For this app I Have written some text files with the model numbers and opening sizes and such that I will read and populate listboxes with.  Then I will insert the block.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 02:46:21 PM »
Hmmm.... never thought about creating a docale external app ... not sure you can do it... you would likely have to call the application from within AutoCAD itself.

There was an application available some time ago that allowed users to create an instance of an activeX control and dock it in the AutoCAD window. You could then define your app as an activex control and implement it in that manner.

I typically will create an external application and set the stay on top bit for the form then is is always on top of AutoCAD.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 02:52:44 PM »
would this type of app be better suited for VBA?  I plan on using this a model for other block insertion routines, so it is best if all of the details get ironed out now before I write to much code.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 03:38:03 PM »
If you write it in VB,  you can still use it in VBA, except the forms won't transfer properly. You can write it in VBA, then export the modules and forms, then import them into your VB application without any problems.

I would think that if you want to dock it, an externally defined program (VB) utilizing a dockable window for AutoCAD would be the best bet, unless you want to create a dockable container for AutoCAD .. if that is the case you better bone up on your C++ and ARX

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »
Forgive me Tim, I'm a real [colorful language deleted] on this issue, but what is the difference between buying pirated software from warez or a friend giving you a copy? I'm not a confrontational type and I don't want to discourage you from learning a new language, but at the same time I cannot condone the practice or remain silent on the issue.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 07:43:44 PM »
MP... I initially thought the same thing, but then I said to myself ... "heck my friend gave me Visual Studios 6.0 Professional Edition", but before you sling a rod, let me state that it was a brand new unlicenced original box set directly from a local MS reseller. He bought it, never installed it, heck he never even opened the shrink wrap on the box. Then a couple of years ago (I don't remember when) he just up and gave it to me and said "Merry Christmas" ..... WOOHOO.... saved me like $600 if my memory serves me well.

So anyway I decided to NOT make a mention of it in the event he had a benevolent friend such as I do.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 09:29:01 PM »
MP,

No need to explain I'm on the fence on the issue.  My feeling is if you are going to make money on it then you better buy it,  but for someone who is testing the waters so to speak sometimes it doesn't pay to fork over that kind of money to use it a half a dozen times and never create anything with it  then shelf it.  But to ease your mind, the freind in question works for a company that writes some code for M$.  He has boxes of differant types of software laying around still wrapped.  It wasn't pirated it is straight up leggit I just didn't have to pay for it.  For instance I work for DeWalt as a designer.  I must have about $20 - $30K worth of power tools laying around my house, I didn't pay for them but they belong to me, so I use them as trades  :wink: .

I don't want to affend.  This subject goes along with religion and polotics, everyone has there differant opions, and I'll leave it at that.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 01:08:04 AM »
Thank you for responding politely and explaining your situation Tim. I'm so glad this didn't turn into a slug fest; these things can go that way all too easily. I didn't want that but I was fully prepared for it; it's cool you took a higher road; kudos.

I would like to say to the general audience that if anyone wishes to experiment with programming and doesn't want to part with any coin while feeling their way round (totally understandable) there is a glut of free programming tools (compilers, IDEs etc.) available, from open source to Microsoft believe it or not, notwithstanding VBA which is integral to most MS Office Products. If you can't find what you're looking for maybe we can help you find something suitable.

Anyway, said me bit and don't wish to belabor the point any more.

-= Peace =-
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

TR

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 11:08:05 PM »
Here is an AutoCAD 2004+ version of the arx file keith was talking about.