Author Topic: [AutoCAD 2010] Layer Manager Display Failure  (Read 7774 times)

JCTER

[AutoCAD 2010] Layer Manager Display Failure
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »
Has anyone seen this happen as in the attached screenshot?

During normal operation, many times the 'content' of the layer manager will simply fail to appear, and it will show through to the image behind.  When moving the layer manager, it shows a static image of what was there before the manager was called.

I can click in the middle area, and it will show the highlighted area of the cell I select, and any text contained.  Though no images will show as in the case of the frozen/hidden/plot toggles.

The only solution is to restart Autocad and it's just a big PITA.  Another user in the office has asked me about this, so I've excluded that it's anything specific to Autocad hating me, personally, as I assumed before.

sinc

Re: [AutoCAD 2010] Layer Manager Display Failure
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »
I've had a lot of problems with the Layer Manager in 2010.  I often have it do funky things if it is open when I switch Workspaces, or when I am working with multiple drawings simultaneously and opening and closing files with the Layer Manager open.

It is quite a PITA.

JCTER

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »
What's even odder is that I used 2009 for the entirety of the year it was 'current' and can't recall this ever happening.  To the best of my knowledge, the Layer Manager is otherwise identical in 2010 to 2009.  That's the year they changed it to a palette instead of the dialog it once was (to much complaint)

That seems to be the only problem I've had so far, though, and I've been using aught-ten since it came out in official release, so it's a decent bit of time for the random stuff to have reared it's head, I guess.

At least seeing that it's not just our office that has problems with it makes me feel more vindicated that it's not me that screwed something up ;)

nivuahc

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
(SETVAR "LAYERDLGMODE" 0)

JCTER

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »

meh, like VBA, I assume things like that will go away as they want to institute new ways.  I tend to just get acclimated with the new ways and not cling to the old.  It's a process that's much like handing "Bubba" in your jail cell's top bunk a bottle of lube, instead of trying to get him not to climb into your bed altogether.

nivuahc

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »
I did that for all of our users here and machine performance went up tremendously. That Layer Manager Palette is a hog when you've got 200+ layers to deal with.

JCTER

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:08:45 PM »
I did that for all of our users here and machine performance went up tremendously. That Layer Manager Palette is a hog when you've got 200+ layers to deal with.

I don't know if we hit 200, but if not, we get close.  Haven't noticed too much problems.  I close it though.  That's a big dif.   I used it -like- I used the old one; opening it when needed, closing it when done.  I find little-to-no dif in opening/closing time, so it hasn't bothered me.  The only real change was getting used to the changes being "real time" rather than waiting for you to hit "OK" to run the changes.

I just went to all my users, since you reminded me, to ask them if they'd want the old way.  They all said they are used to the new style and wouldn't want to go back, because it'd mean getting used to the buttons being in a different place all over again :-D

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »
Yep I have run into it and Like you all have done, I restart.  PITA
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Swift

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »
I experience similar behavior in both AutoCAD 2010 and Primavera 6.2.1 under 64-bit Vista had assumed it was a driver function as I can drag the dialogs around and the internal information appears

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:36 PM »

It one of the first things I changed
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

M-dub

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:11 AM »
I'm just going to throw this out here...

For some reason I decided to put the layer manager on the other screen and set the opacity to 80%.  Now, when AutoCAD (2009) loads, that window starts up black, very similar to your screenshot.  It shows up black every once in a while, but it's only momentary. 

Chances are that this has nothing at all to do with your problem, but for the sake of anyone who happen upon this thread in a search sometime down the road, I thought I'd put it out there.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
Video card issue maybe?  (just thinking out loud)
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

JCTER

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »

It is a possibility.  None of the computers in this office are the same, and the computer the other user has, who reported the same issue, has a 3 year, or so, older computer than I do.  If he has an nVidia 'gaming' card, like me, (GeForce 6800) I might assume that's a possibility.

I had no issues in 2009 though, which I find pretty funny.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »

It is a possibility.  None of the computers in this office are the same, and the computer the other user has, who reported the same issue, has a 3 year, or so, older computer than I do.  If he has an nVidia 'gaming' card, like me, (GeForce 6800) I might assume that's a possibility.

I had no issues in 2009 though, which I find pretty funny.
Doesn't surprise me (crap... now I sound like MJF)   :roll:  :wink:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io