Author Topic: Plotting with Inches or Feet  (Read 2604 times)

CTMill

• Newt
Plotting with Inches or Feet
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:46:27 PM »
I'm stumped and need help.  I have a client that plots everything at 1"=1".  So when you go to plot and the scale says 1"=1', I think they're changing it to 1"=1/12'.  My units are set to decimal and unitless.  And when I check my titleblock dimensions everything is at the correct dimension.

I've had architectural drawings that were 12 times too big.  But this is the first time, that I was told my drawings are 12 times too big!  :-o

What would you do?  Do I really want to scale down everything by 1/12?  Therefore making any architectural drawing 144 times too big! :ugly:
Civ3d/A2K16

JCTER

Re: Plotting with Inches or Feet
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »
Everyone I've ever worked with, Arch. Civil. Struc. Mech... paperspace/layouts are always inches.  Doesn't matter what the model is.  So when you plot from the layout, 1" = 1" is 1:1 or whatever. 

If you draw your title block so that it's 1 unit = 1 foot, then your Arch D title block is drawn with the limits of 3 & 2 units?  I've never encountered anyone that's done that.  Always been 36 wide and 24 tall.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »
I'm stumped and need help.  I have a client that plots everything at 1"=1".  So when you go to plot and the scale says 1"=1', I think they're changing it to 1"=1/12'.  My units are set to decimal and unitless.  And when I check my titleblock dimensions everything is at the correct dimension.

I've had architectural drawings that were 12 times too big.  But this is the first time, that I was told my drawings are 12 times too big!  :-o

What would you do?  Do I really want to scale down everything by 1/12?  Therefore making any architectural drawing 144 times too big! :ugly:

are you folks using paperspace layouts that are 'scaled'?  please say no

the viewport gets scaled...not the paper
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »
James ,that's exactly how I feel.  I think they're over analyzing the plot scale because it says 1"=1'.  When you measure the titleblock, it's always 24x36.

Mjfarrell, no we do not scale paperspace.  Only the viewports get scaled.

Part of the problem, is the client doesn't have a lot of "good" experience with autocad.  i think they learned on their own or something.  They were telling me that if they plotted my drawings they would be 36 feet long.  Smh! 

I'm not sure how I can resolve this.....  At least I know I'm right! lol  Thanks for your time and thoughts on this!

Civ3d/A2K16

JCTER

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
Without looking over their shoulder, I can't be sure what they're doing, myself. :\

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
hows about you post a sample file so we may examine more thoroughly what they are being confounded by?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 05:47:33 PM »
James,
Once again I feel the same way.  Unfortunately, I can't look over their shoulder either.  That's why I'm playing this guessing game.  I figure the more scenarios that I explore, the more informed I'll be when the problems persists.

Mjfarrell,
Please see the attached file.  I put some junk text in a viewport.  And put a rectangle where our titleblock would be in paperspace.  The units and everything else are set the way we normally do things.

Please let me know what you think.  Thanks!
Civ3d/A2K16

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:25:36 PM »
Looks fine to me, dude.

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:35:55 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance James!  I appreciate you guys taking the time to look into this.  I've never had anything so simple become so difficult....
Civ3d/A2K16

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
question..are they opening and plotting your files?

or are they INSERTING them into theirs?

If the latter there might be some scaling going on to the modelspace objects.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »
Mjfarrell

I really don't know.  There are subconsultants/subcontractors involved.  So your guess is as good as mine.  They aren't giving me much to go on.  I'm thinking at some point I might have to go see what they are doing first hand.  I'm just trying to explore everything possible so I'll be prepared.

With your guys' help, I'll be looking for these possibilities:
Inserting with the units set incorrectly.
Confused by the plotting scale and setting it incorrectly.

I have someone else experimenting with Microstation. 

I really can't of any other ways that this could be happening.....  Thanks for your help!
Civ3d/A2K16

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
perhaps they might be interested in joining the swamp?   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CTMill

• Newt
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »
perhaps they might be interested in joining the swamp?   ;-)

lol  I wish!  They could use the help!

Unfortunately for me, they are planning their retirement in the near future..... 
Civ3d/A2K16