Author Topic: Piping Packages  (Read 4210 times)

Draftek

Piping Packages
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »
It's been 10 years but I may be getting back into the process piping industry.

What are the good 3D packages?
I need auto-iso generation with BOM capability.

Might be modeling an entire continuous operation plant.

I already have a good P&ID package.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Piping Packages
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
CADWorx Plant rocks for small-to-midsize projects.  Very friendly user group and tech support as well.  The "Pro" version comes with ISOGEN, while not ideal its the best I've come across.  Models are portable, no object enablers required to view them (!), plus NavisWorks has native support for CADWorx data.

SmartPlant is excellent for truly large projects, but requires a lot of in-house support.  It has a lot more tools to enforce consistency and do mass part manipulation and checking.

Stay away from AutoDesk Plant 3D.  Its only had one release and isn't suitable for production use yet (unless you want to fight both the piping design and the software simultaneously).
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Draftek

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:51:33 AM »
Thanks,
I used to be a cadworx customer and did some customizing work for them.
Then the developer got into it with the owner and quit - I have no idea what he's doing now.
That was about the time I got the gig to program full time.

I'll check they're web site for cost then.

Anybody know anything about CadPipe from Canada? - they have been around forever.
Is Pro-pipe still in business?

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:49:42 AM »
We're currently on the hunt as well.  We had a guy in yesterday to pitch Plant 3D to us, but he came up short.  Their company isn't yet able to sell it until their guys get trained on it, which will be another couple of months.  Instead, he just showed us a video.  Looked nice and shiny, anyway.  :)

I'm about to contact the CADPipe folks to see what they can do.  We used to have CADPipe in here years ago, but it's been a long time.  We'll see how this goes.