Author Topic: the Swamp Block Library Manager?  (Read 60987 times)

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
the Swamp Block Library Manager?
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:29:38 AM »
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=32046.0

Seems to be a need for a good, easy to set up, easy to use Block Library Manager.  How many here at the Swamp would be willing to contribute to put something out there people could use?  Any interest?  I, of course, would like to volunteer to handle the GUI.  Model, Modeless, and Palette forms could be used.

What seems to be the question is how to make it "customizable".  Allow the user to customize location, naming conventions, container type, that sort of stuff without using code.  Think maybe an .ini file.  I know the code is already written in many of our libraries out there; it would just be a matter of collectively deciding the direction then someone managing compilation.

Any interest let me know.

jb

Here it is: v4.0
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:33:27 PM by jbuzbee »
James Buzbee
Windows 8

GDF

• Water Moccasin
Re: the Swamp Block Library Manager?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:11:52 AM »
James

Sounds like a worth while project. I'm still using my klunky dcl interface routine that requires making slides and slide libraries. The routine uses an .ini file and thus requires updating along with the slide library every time a new block is added.

Gary
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

hermanm

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:07:40 AM »
I can help with some lisp coding stuff.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
I'm in.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Bob Wahr

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:20:55 AM »
What do people think about using this not only as a useful tool but a learning project for .net?

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
What do people think about using this not only as a useful tool but a learning project for .net?

I think it could be a good program to learn with, but it's in the Lisp forum ( the idea ), and I'm not sure how many people want to learn .Net right now.  Experienced programmers think one should learn the .Net language before one starts programing with it.  I think that is a good thought also, but I'm one who just jumped right in, and learns along the way, so I'm game either way.
Tim

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 11:45:01 AM »
Thanks guys, I think with the expertease around here we can cobble something together that's pretty nice.  

Let me get my thoughts together - you do the same - and we'll get together soon.  I may cobble a prelim. GUI to start the conversation. We can also source the CAD general forum for some real world feedback. Man, isn't this site NICE!

Bob, I think that's a great idea.  I'm personally not interested in learning a new language BUT, I think developing the two projects concurrently can help us old lisper's understand the .net process a little easier.  We can highlight certain functions / features and post the two languages side by side.  

Well, wait a minute; that's sounds like a really good way to learn .net: maybe I am interested . . ..  :wink:
James Buzbee
Windows 8

rhino

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
I've just started looking at openDCL - there's already a Block preview code there in - probably someone with expertise in openDCl can whip up something quick.

the .net version would be cool! - from the user perspective (me) hehe

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »
I might be willing to help on the configuration/reporting side for XML-based files for the LISP side of things.  Of course, paid work comes first.   ;-)
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 02:42:55 PM »
I've just started looking at openDCL - there's already a Block preview code there in - probably someone with expertise in openDCl can whip up something quick.

the .net version would be cool! - from the user perspective (me) hehe
*cough* James *cough* *cough*   :roll:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »
I'd be happy to chip in with the coding side... never used OpenDCL though..

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »
If there are enough Lispers, then maybe I can try to mimic that code in .Net ( C# ), so people can see the comparisons.
Tim

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
If there are enough Lispers, then maybe I can try to mimic that code in .Net ( C# ), so people can see the comparisons.

Something that would be very useful from the LISP side is some convenient .NET -defined LISP interface functions - for those that don't want to get hot and heavy with the .NET world.  Also could be used to demonstrate "good" modularity for those that do.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 03:15:39 PM »

Something that would be very useful from the LISP side is some convenient .NET -defined LISP interface functions - for those that don't want to get hot and heavy with the .NET world.  Also could be used to demonstrate "good" modularity for those that do.

True.  Have to look out for those though, as the .Net lisp functionality didn't arrive until later version of Acad.  I think around '09.
Tim