Author Topic: PLT to DWG  (Read 8392 times)

theluck19

• Newt
  • ABC (ADDICTED to BOOZE & CAD.)
PLT to DWG
« on: January 30, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
We used to send *.plt files along with dwg files for some clients in Germany back in 02. Recently i came across the "Convert PLT to DRAWING" command in the express menu (Acad 07).

However when i try to convert any of these plt files back to dwg, i get the error "The selected plt file is not the proper HPGL Format".

We used to view these plt files in a software called Imagenation. Can't access that software, as i am not with that company any more.

Can some one brief me how to use this command?
Win 10 Pro 64+AutoCAD 2019

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
Re: PLT to DWG
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:52:22 AM »
The express tool to which you refer only converts HP-GL format plot files, the really old kind generally for pen plotters. Most drivers in the last 15 years or so that write HP-GL plot files write the HP-GL/2 plot file format.

I wrote up something on this a few years ago, along with some suggested programs to do what you want.
http://cadpanacea.com/node/17

Just remember, a plot file has lost the accuracy of the DWG, along with things like layers, blocks, styles, etc.
So converting back to DWG only gives you a rough estimate of the original drawing.

theluck19

• Newt
  • ABC (ADDICTED to BOOZE & CAD.)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:19:16 PM »
Thanks for the info rkmcswain. :-)
Win 10 Pro 64+AutoCAD 2019

wwhittle

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »
Try viewcompanion. opens & saves plt files to numerous file types. including dxf.