Author Topic: [Autocad General] Point Filter Question  (Read 2547 times)

JCTER

[Autocad General] Point Filter Question
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:08:44 PM »
Ok, just a thought here.  Maybe I'm ignorant of the full use of point filters, here, but I see a tool that might aid me.

When copying an object, or inserting one, I often have them aligned horizontally, or vertically, but wish to pick the X or Y value of varying points.  Picture an elevation view with varying column heights, and wishing to insert column line labels.  These column line labels will all be at the same vertical level, but to insert/copy an object to the remaining unlabeled column lines requires picking multiple points with differing Y values.

Maybe I'd have to write a LSP routine for this, but I wanted to check and make sure I'm not reinventing a wheel or just missing some OBVIOUS that's already there.

I'd like to be able to start a command, enter ".x" for "x of" and select -multiple- X coords, adding all those X coords to a list, and -then- selecting the YZ for -all- of those X coords, and copying multiple objects.

Does that makes sense?  Clear as mud?

1.)  Fire insert/copy command
2.)  Select object to insert/copy
      2.a)  If copy, select base point.
      2.b)  If insert, goto 3
3.)  Select "x of" point filter
4.)  Pick multiple points to get the "x" of.
5.)  Pick the remaining YZ coordinate, and then Autocad inserts/copies the original object to all of the entered coordinates.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: [Autocad General] Point Filter Question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
I'm fair certain point filters are already a Rt-Click option....although you are NOT going to be able to pick MULTIPLE points from which it (cad) then decides what X or Y of an N+1 list of selected insertion points for you to then provide the Y to.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:20:38 PM »
I'm fair certain point filters are already a Rt-Click option....

I'm not asking for a point filter.  I use them routinely.  I'm asking for the ability to add several X-values to a running list, before applying the X value (or in my case, multiple X values) to the next click for the remaining YZ value.

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:23:22 PM »
To clarify, maybe, I'm imagining this as user input:

Copy <enter>
Select object <enter>
Select Base Point <click>
Select second point - .x <enter>
.x of  <click1>
<click2>
<click3>
<enter>
(need YZ)
<click>

and then it copies the original to the YZ location specified by the last click, at the X coordinates of each of click1, click2, click3.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:26:16 PM »
nope....you'll be off to the LISP / Code heads to get this done.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:35:06 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:33:50 PM »
Thanks,
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any OOTB stuff (sometimes I forget to think outside my habits) before I spent time writing something to do it myself.