Author Topic: Note Regarding Layers  (Read 12848 times)

M-dub

Note Regarding Layers
« on: November 18, 2004, 11:37:33 AM »
:roll:

For our site plot plan, there will be a few different drawings (using Xrefs) and each drawing will appear to be totally different to many people looking at a print of it.  Of course, they will have the ability to open a dwf of each drawing, but the question of layers and the 'confusion' of "Which version is which" came up.

They are worried that if Jack prints the drawing off with a certain set of layers visible and Jill prints it off with a different set of layers, the two will wonder why the two drawings (same drawing number) show different information, but are both at the same revision level.

One 'solution' that was suggested was for me to issue a new sketch number every time someone wanted the drawing plotted with different layers visible.  Personally, I hate this idea because it will eventually bring us back to having multiple versions of the plot plan floating around.  The purpose of this project was to merge and / or archive the 400 or so different plot plans into one master, then to Xref it out to about 3 or 4 'sub-master' drawings for each discipline such as Electrical, Piping, EH&S, Underground, etc.  In each master, I will set the default layer settings so that only layers pertaining to that discipline will be visible.

So, instead of creating a new sketch every 5 days, I thought that placing a note in a highly visible location of the drawing that explains changing the visibility of the layers might result in what some might think to be a completely different drawing.  My problem is that I can't figure out how to put it into words and have it sound professional, yet easily understood by non-CAD people.

Any ideas out there?
(Sorry for rambling...again)
Thanks a lot,
Mike

hendie

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 11:44:31 AM »
WARNING ~ changing the visibility of the layers might result in what some might think to be a completely different drawing.

sorry, couldn't resist that one

M-dub

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:46:17 AM »
LOL!

That made short work of it...

Methinks someone's making a mountain from a molehill.
:roll:

hendie

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:50:09 AM »
something like..

IMPORTANT: This drawing is available in several different layer configurations.
Different layer configurations will affect the overall drawing view.
If in doubt, please refer to the Part Number & Revision

M-dub

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 11:58:51 AM »
That's good...I like that.

I have a bunch of rough notes, but here's one...

*Notice*
This drawing is comprised of many layers.  Changing the visibility of the layers could imply that it is a different version when compared to another print of the same drawing.  Refer to the revision block if in doubt.

I would like to keep it short though, like you've done.  Like I said, yours is good, but if you or anyone else have any more suggestions, I'd like to present a few ideas to these folks here.

Thanks a lot! :)

PDJ

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 12:44:53 PM »
"This drawing is plotted with a special ink.  The ink is visible based on the discipline of the person viewing it.  For example: All electrical related lines will only be visible by persons in the electrical field.  This ink is being used to prevent counterfeiting and improper use by other disciplines.  Thank you for your cooperation."

M-dub

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 12:46:39 PM »
Nice!
Who's your ink supplier?  Do you have any contacts? :razz:

ELOQUINTET

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 01:16:02 PM »
hey crackhead we had to simplify the drawing so you wouldn't screw up again. just look at the drawing i give you and do what it says ok rocket scientist.

works for me    :lol:

M-dub

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 01:17:22 PM »
Works for me too, but for some reason, I think there's a slight chance someone might be offended by the 'Rocket Scientist' comment...;)

ELOQUINTET

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 01:19:04 PM »
ok so the crackhead part stays cool glad to have helped  :wink:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 01:35:22 PM »
Quote from: M-dub
Nice!
Who's your ink supplier?  Do you have any contacts? :razz:

Uh ...yeah gas permeable, UV resistant, -6.0 and -5.75 diopters what else would you like to know
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

M-dub

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 01:44:38 PM »
What do you think about this (wordy) note?
Note:
Changing the layer visibility configurations may inadvertently portray a drawing version conflict when compared to prints of the same drawing showing different layers.  If in doubt, refer to the revision block or contact the Drawing Office.

Jassper

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 03:34:23 PM »
Note:Layer Visibility is Dicipline Dependant.
Refer to the Title Block for Drawing Information, or Contact Our Office at ....

You don't want to act like you are appoligizing or do not know what you are doing - I would refrain from using words like  "may Inadvertently" "conflict" "if in doubt"

Just my 2 nickles...
oh is it supposed to be pennies?? :O)

Little

M-dub

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 03:42:50 PM »
Pennies down there convert to nickels up here ;)
(actually, the Canadian Loonie is doing really well right now!)

Those are good points, Linda!  I don't need to appologize for nuttin'!

t-bear

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 04:04:47 PM »
Gee fellas, sounds like we're dealing with a bunch of *engineers*  (no offence, Kate my dear....)

M-dub

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 04:05:54 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
Gee fellas, sounds like we're dealing with a bunch of *engineers*  (no offence, Kate my dear....)

How'd you guess?!?!
 :lol:

t-bear

Note Regarding Layers
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 05:07:51 PM »
Just lucky ... and experience.  I "work-around" them every day. :-)