Author Topic: [AutoCAD Installation] Personal Step by Step Guide  (Read 10130 times)

JCTER

[AutoCAD Installation] Personal Step by Step Guide
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:42:13 AM »
In preparation (H) for my office-wide Autocad installation I'm putting together a bit of a "step by step" for myself.  I thought I'd throw this topic out here and see if any of you CAD Management types out there have a same... or if you just keep it in your noggin, what you need to do at each station.

Save Personal and/or Custom Settings
Open existing installation of Autocad
  • Save screenshot to Desktop
  • Open CUI editor, transfer tab, drag custom workspace/s to new partial CUI, check keyboard shortcuts, menus, etc, for non-standard items, transfer as necessary
  • Save new partial CUI named after employee

Run setup for installing the deployment set up on the network

Open Autocad and import custom settings
  • Open new installation of Autocad, CUI Editor, Load partial CUI file of customizations**

Test New Installation
  • Open sample drawing
  • Plot
  • Check for errors
  • Open CUI editor
  • Check for unexpected results

** I'm going to be "forcing" (Recommending strongly) that users leave their acad.cui file alone, and 'stock', and any overrides, shortcuts, customizations be installed/applied to a partial CUI file named specifically for them, on their hard drive.  Would it be beneficial, or possible, to make the acad.cui file reside on the server, "Read only" and still be able to be used?  Just thought of that part, so now I'm off to search...

I figure it seems simple enough, but sometimes for repetitive processes, I have to hold myself to a list, or I start skipping/forgetting crap.  So maybe y'all don't go through this.  Another purpose is to see if  y'all have something to share with me that I may need to do that'll save me some headache.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Re: [AutoCAD Installation] Personal Step by Step Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
What about saving the users current profile.

-for screen color cursor size etc?
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
Enterprise CUI...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:59:14 AM »
Enterprise CUI...

I wasn't sure about some of the quirks/drawbacks to a setup like that, though.  I may just have to figure out the best implementation, but after reading some of Robert Bell's stuff on enterprise CUIs I wasn't sure if that was the route I'd take, unless absolutely necessary.

craigr

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
I would LOVE to see step by step instructions for saving & reloading a single workstation.

I don't know what I am missing, but I always 'stumble' thu it with my MANY custom toolbar / icons.

The 'Export AutoCAD 2008 Settings' & 'Import AutoCAD Settings' only work a few times, then stop working.

I do ALL of the customizing in this company, and share my customizations with my coworkers. Sharing them takes over an hour sometimes, by the time I get the toolbars & macros set up. Most work out of the office on Laptops, so a Network install wouldn't work for us.

craigr

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »
Craigers...a network deployment would still offer you some benefits...

essentially it just copies all the installation files to the server...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/