Author Topic: [AutoCAD General] Setting up and Managing Plotters / PC3 Files, Server Side  (Read 9693 times)

JCTER

Ok, found some decent resources for the how's, why's, and what's of the entire issue, but these islands of information just are not thoroughly connected, for me, just yet.  Just waiting for that *CLICK* in my brain.

Currently we have a bastard of a plotter setup in which everyone uses their system printers on their local machine, to print.  Some may have created pc3 files, saved locally, to expedite certain processes they run in to.  Everything is on local machines, as of now, and it has proven foolish for me to assume everyone's plotters are named the same.  I had rolled out some decent printing macros and even a handy dandy ribbon panel for it, back when I thought the Ribbon would be worth a dook for us.

I want to create one folder on the server which will house all of our pc3 files necessary for plotting.  This way I can add, subtract, edit these files as necessary and everyone benefits at once.

Do I need to ensure that the server itself has all the printer drivers on it, or does the pc3 file point to the printer drivers on the users' local machines?  I just kind of need a step-by-step of what happens, I guess, if I am to keep printer support files on the server.

User clicks Print -> selects PC3 file on server -> PC3 file looks on user's computer for the driver specified by the PC3 file ->  Drawing is now plotted from user's computer.

or is it:

User clicks Print -> selects PC3 file on server ->  PC3 file uses driver on server -> to plot drawing from the server.

Just a bit confused.

If need be, I can go from computer to computer, renaming system drivers.... I just don't wanna, and want to do things "right" this time around.  If it's not necessary that the driver on everyone's computer is named the same, then I don't care.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
When you map the printer to the local machine from the server (net use \\servername\sharedprintername) the driver should be loaded onto the individual computer (so all printers drivers on all computers should be the same). I created PC3 files that are local to my computer and everyone else has the same shared printer. Then this pc3 file is located on the server and all other computers are pointed to this new file location. Does this help any?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

JCTER

When you map the printer to the local machine from the server (net use \\servername\sharedprintername) the driver should be loaded onto the individual computer (so all printers drivers on all computers should be the same). I created PC3 files that are local to my computer and everyone else has the same shared printer. Then this pc3 file is located on the server and all other computers are pointed to this new file location. Does this help any?

Very much so.  Your process is what I thought I first thought I was going to have to do.  After some googling I became unsure if I was going down the right road.  I'm very, very glad I have only 6 users to upgrade.  That's not TOO many places I have to rename files!

Sounds easy enough.  I just needed to know for sure how this actually worked.  I'm eager for this weekend's progress to come!

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
What files are you renaming?  You also might want to put your color tables (if you use them) on the network.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

JCTER

What files are you renaming?  You also might want to put your color tables (if you use them) on the network.

Yes, I'm finally getting all "support" files on the network.  Linetype file, color tables, template drawing, etc. 

The files I need to rename are the actually printer driver installed on each user's computer.  For whatever crazy reason, we have like 2-3 names floating around for each printer we have.  Seems like every day that "whoever" went installing printers/plotters on computer, they decided to use a different driver name, instead of assuming the benefits of consistency.  Our OCE tabloid printer is named "Generic 25C-1/25C-1P PCL" on the boss's comp it's "GENERIC-OCE" and on yet another user's it's simply "OCE"

We have a Canon letter/tabloid laser printer, an OCE letter/tabloid laser printer, an HP inkjet 24" roll plotter, and the usual Adobe PDF driver.  One of the bosses has an additional HP Deskjet for printing checks, but that's not my concern or problem.

Anyways... 4 drivers, all needing appropriate pc3 files for various settings, and I think the Adobe PDF driver is the only one that's named the same amongst us all.   :-D

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
What files are you renaming?  You also might want to put your color tables (if you use them) on the network.
Yes, I'm finally getting all "support" files on the network.  Linetype file, color tables, template drawing, etc.  

Okay so now I am going to ask a stupid cad management question.  How do you handle or spread custom line types across the office?  I have 7 users with stand alone workstations/laptops and we have 4 custom line types.  Other than these 4, we use the OTB line types that come with each version.   Every upgrade I have to around copy and paste these line types into the ACAD.lin file.  It is a annoyance, albeit a minor one at that, but still an annoyance.  

Good threads James
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Just create a separate LIN file for your custom line types.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

JCTER

That's how we roll.

Linetypes is actually the only thing we've been doing "right" all along.  We have a company .LIN file, with our custom linetypes in it, which resides on the server, with the "LINETYPES" folder in the support file path in the options.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
That's how we roll.

Linetypes is actually the only thing we've been doing "right" all along.  We have a company .LIN file, with our custom linetypes in it, which resides on the server, with the "LINETYPES" folder in the support file path in the options.

Okay I guess I was not clear.  My Bad. I have tried the renaming part and place the file right next to the ACAD.lin file in OTB support folder.  Open the linetype manager and I only see linetypes from the ACAD.lin file.  I was hoping to see both.  So my question is I can only see only one file at a time?  Like I said stupid question. :oops:

JCTER

That's how we roll.

Okay I guess I was not clear.  My Bad. I have tried the renaming part and place the file right next to the ACAD.lin file in OTB support folder.  Open the linetype manager and I only see linetypes from the ACAD.lin file.  I was hoping to see both.  So my question is I can only see only one file at a time?  Like I said stupid question. :oops:

Yes, one file at a time.

There's nothing saying you can't copy/pasta those custom ones into your acad.lin file though.  Or, better yet, copying the stuff you WANT from acad.lin into your custom one, and setting the custom one as your default .lin file.

Correct me if there's better.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
That's how we roll.

Yes, one file at a time.

There's nothing saying you can't copy/pasta those custom ones into your acad.lin file though.  Or, better yet, copying the stuff you WANT from acad.lin into your custom one, and setting the custom one as your default .lin file.

Correct me if there's better.
Freakin Autodesk.  This fires up my usual rant about Autodesk short comings with Autocad..  They should overhaul the linetype manager to read both files.  the OTB file, the Office network file at the same time. 

Anyway I currently do your former suggestion but was hoping to use your later suggestion.  However this leads to my second question.  Which really is my first question on "How do you Guys do it?" before I can proceed with your latter suggestion. 

How do you guys handle these network files with users who work off Laptops and need these files when away form the Office? 

JCTER

I don't mind how they do it now... why do you -need- to have separate .lin files?

If your answer is that sometimes you do archy work, sometimes mech work, sometimes... whatever... maybe you should have different PROFILES set such that you have different workspaces/support-paths/toolbars, etc, for each discipline of work.

But eh, after this weekend's update and this morning's running-around fixing little tiny this-and-thats, I'm a bit annoyed with Adesk as well.  50% annoyed with Autodesk, and 50% annoyed with my lack of knowledge.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
one way.....ETRANSMIT the files to oneself

Two, [Blink][cad manager task ahead][/blink] ensure that all localized customization is loaded to said laptops as required to ensure seamless integration
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

one way.....ETRANSMIT the files to oneself

Never thought about that.  Good tip.  I can see that being handy when going over all support files, paths, etc.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
I don't mind how they do it now... why do you -need- to have separate .lin files?
Everybody has their hangups and one of mine is that I like things compartmentalized.  Using .lin files as an example, I place my office .lin file on the server, Autodesk does their thing with their .lin file and Autocad merges the two in the manager.  I don't touch theirs and they don't touch mine.  It is all done automagicly with the exception of me pathing to the network files for each upgrade.  IT seems every version Autodesk tweaks the file and I have to go around and copy and paste for each of my users.  I was wondering if their was an easier more efficient way.  There is a lot of examples that this theory of mine could apply to with in Autocad.

But eh, after this weekend's update and this morning's running-around fixing little tiny this-and-thats, I'm a bit annoyed with Adesk as well.  50% annoyed with Autodesk, and 50% annoyed with my lack of knowledge.
Exactly.  And I should revise my statement about my annoyance to include myself hence the reason I ask stupid questions.