Author Topic: JP2 File conversion?  (Read 10507 times)

JCTER

Re: JP2 File conversion?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 09:01:51 AM »
Actually, I forgot to report back..

..but I had no idea this existed at all until this past Friday evening.  You can install JP2 object enablers in regular AutoCAD as well.  2008, in the boss's case.  Worked it out smoothly.  Able to xref the images in just fine.

I looked at Irfanview, and while it looks like a nice program, I doubt we'll ever have need of it.  Thanks.

dfarris75

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
Rock on dude.

The joyful thing with Irfanview is if you have a high res jp2 or tif that slows your machine down when viewing you can convert the file to a normal jpg and drop the quality slider down a bit to reduce the file size to speed things up some. It will generally retain enough quality that you will tell little difference in print.

JCTER

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »
Rock on dude.

The joyful thing with Irfanview is if you have a high res jp2 or tif that slows your machine down when viewing you can convert the file to a normal jpg and drop the quality slider down a bit to reduce the file size to speed things up some. It will generally retain enough quality that you will tell little difference in print.

Thanks for the tip.  The boss didn't seem to have any performance problem with the jp2s he was working with for this project.  This is the first time we've come across the file format, tbh.  Even with this particular client.  He had 6 jp2s he was using as topo underlays for a drainage plan used for... I don't know what, tbh. 

I'll mention the performance issue that may benefit him, and see what he wants to do.  All else failing, I'll have this thread to look forward to finding, whenever I search this forum for "jp2 file" in the future, if I run into the issue again.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Rock on dude.

I wonder, how does the .aux file work with the .jpg? All the .jp2 files I use are for mapping so they need to be geo-aware.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »
post one of those aux files such that we may see it's innards
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Here ya go ...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
just opening with word pad...and reading between the missing bits

it does contain Coordinate Zone and Projection information....NAD 83....etc, etc, so it would appear to be a far more complex iteration of something like the TFW, or JPW file types contain.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 02:55:54 PM »
... and if someone wants to experiment.

attached is both the image and .aux file.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »
... and if someone wants to experiment.
I did my fair share back in college.... I'm all set, but thanks anyways!
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

dfarris75

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
With the tif files you can just rename the tfw to jgw, but I'm not sure if this would work the same as with aux files. Wouldn't hurt to try.

If it doesn't work then you would have to import the jp2 file using the aux to place it. Then convert to jpg, import, and scale/place based on the original jp2 file. Then just detach the jp2. This is of course just if you have a computer that's a few strokes over par to display the imagery swiftly.