Author Topic: Version Control  (Read 3814 times)

Glenn R

Version Control
« on: November 25, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »
In my continual search for VCS, I came across SourceGear Vault today. It allows a single license free. Also, I ran into Perforce which allows a free 2 user license.

My main reasons for looking past Subversion, which I currently use, is excellent IDE integration and the main one is being able to search a repository for files that contain a certain word (keyword) or whatever.

Anyone had any experience with either?

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Version Control
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »

Nope.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Glenn R

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »
Kerry,

Thanks for that - really :D

vegbruiser

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
Me neither. (Sorry Glenn) :)

But, I think it will be helpful - at the moment, when I'm coding I try and remember to make a .rar'd copy of the work I've done that day and then email it to myself, so if something goes awry the following day, I can always revert to the previous evening's version.

This seems like a good place to start/read up on why I need source control - what do the rest of you recommend? EDIT: Aside from Glenn's suggestions above of course?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:18:45 AM by vegbruiser »

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
lmao!
Thank you Kerry and Glenn; i needed that.

Not really different but could be a cool option non the less; you can ask Mark if SVN is still up and running on theSwamp server.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

vegbruiser

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »
Thanks Se7en, I might just do that.

One problem is that I have two machines on separate networks; one of which doesn't have internet access. So a solution for my needs would need to be t'internet free. At least for one of the machines anyway.  :-o

jmaeding

• Bull Frog
  • I'm just here for the Shelties.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »
our San Diego .net programmer got us using sourcegear vault.
I think you will like it.
James Maeding

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:35:03 AM »
Thanks Se7en, I might just do that.

One problem is that I have two machines on separate networks; one of which doesn't have internet access. So a solution for my needs would need to be t'internet free. At least for one of the machines anyway.  :-o

Ah, im pretty sure that you have a SVN repository on a USB stick but read the FAQ to be sure. [ http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ ]

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Glenn R

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »
James,

Spill it - what's your expreiences with it? The good, the bad and the ugly.

Glenn R

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
Actually 7, upon Chuck's recommendation in our last discussion on this, I did exactly that. I think it's called FSFS in SVN terms, but I might be mistaken - it's essentailly just a folder on the drive and not using any 'service' to control access or what-have-you, seeing as it's just me. I used this for months, but then got sick and tired of having to plug the 'stick' into each machine I was on.

I then looked at MSN Mesh to get away from the "'stick' o' goodness" (too many quotes there I know) and it's really pretty good. I created my repository in a folder that Mesh was replicating; Mesh then just copies this to the 'cloud' when anything changes. When I get to work in the morning, the Mesh client there replicates what's in the cloud to that box as I've added it to my 'Mesh'.

Apart from my reasons stated above, I really like the idea of having a document being versioned with sequential numbers, rather than what SVN (Subversion) does and use a unique number for the entire source code repository as a snapshot.

Maybe it's just me...

Vege, knavel gaze upon this thread, which contains Chucky Baby's recommendations, as I mentioned above, as well as a lot of other intelligent discourse on the subject.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »
Mesh? Never heard of it. *click-click* Cool! ...I would like to take a brief moment to officially thank you because, well let's face it, you make me look good.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Glenn R

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »
...I would like to take a brief moment to officially thank you because, well let's face it, you make me look good.

...and have been doing so for quite some time now I might add  :evil: :-D

You're welcome 7. I think it's quite good; I wonder when it will get out of Beta...

vegbruiser

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »
Just tried to check out mesh - And our Websense server responded with "Computer says no".

vegbruiser

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:18:31 AM »
Speaking of Mesh, it seems like it offers the same (or similar) features to that offered up by www.dropbox.com (which by the way I used earlier to receive some Inventor 2010 .NET code from a dev. over @ Autodesk China)

Based on the article in the thread Glenn pointed me to I think I'm going to try out TortoiseSVN, since I already had it installed (for reasons I can't quite remember - but possibly to do with Google Wave, OpenFire & OpenSSL).

jmaeding

• Bull Frog
  • I'm just here for the Shelties.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
I have not used it enough to really know the vault prog.
I am passing on recommendations based on a good programmer I knew, that had me using it for a while.
We had a talk about why it was his choice, and I recall agreeing, but it was long ago enough that I forget the details.
James Maeding