Author Topic: Is there a way to copy attributes automatically?  (Read 5439 times)

Serge J. Gianolla

Is there a way to copy attributes automatically?
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »
I have a section mark, with a stretch grip to duplicate drawing and section labels in case of multi references. How can I make the extra "bubbles" to get populated?  :realmad: I am going nuts. I tried [or I think] everything!
Any help welcome

Crank

• Water Moccasin
Re: Is there a way to copy attributes automatically?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »
You're using an array. Can't you better use visability states to add the extra bubbles?
Then every bubble it's possible to add extra attributes.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
I don't remember how I did it, but I think I used fields, and linked to attributes together, so you only needed to change one.  Attached is my block file.  Insert it.  Change the visibility to ' Section-Double ', and only change the first two attributes, and then the others will change also.  I guess there might be a way to hide the other two attributes, but I don't use the block, so.....

Edit: Maybe I understood wrong.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
I don't remember how I did it, but I think I used fields, and linked to attributes together, so you only needed to change one.  Attached is my block file.  Insert it.  Change the visibility to ' Section-Double ', and only change the first two attributes, and then the others will change also.  I guess there might be a way to hide the other two attributes, but I don't use the block, so.....

Edit: Maybe I understood wrong.
Thanks Tim. I tried your sample, but for what I need it is lacking flexibility. In case of a SectionMark symbol it is a great thing that you enter values once and they are reflected in other bubble, but I want a Section Mark title where the sections could say section 2 on dwgs 208 and 403... Not sure if I explain myself too well?!

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »
You're using an array. Can't you better use visability states to add the extra bubbles?
Then every bubble it's possible to add extra attributes.
Crank thanx for your reply.
Unfortunately I cannot use a visibility state, cause there is already one in the DB [I posted a dumbed down version]. It'd be great if Autodesk allowed multiple visibilities!!
My other concern is that I'd have to create a block for each state - tedious, when you think there are not only section in DB, but view, elevation, custom...

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »
[...]but for what I need it is lacking flexibility. In case of a SectionMark symbol it is a great thing that you enter values once and they are reflected in other bubble, but I want a Section Mark title where the sections could say section 2 on dwgs 208 and 403[...]
It's possible to edit an attribute with a field: It's a normal attribute, only the default value is a field. Experiment with example 2 of the attached drawing.

[...]version]. It'd be great if Autodesk allowed multiple visibilities!![...]
It's possible when you use a trick. See example 1 of the attached drawing.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Bob Wahr

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 06:56:58 PM »
That's a handy trick for small numbers of options, but gets really clunky really fast.  For instance, if I were to do a weld symbol block with 5 weld types, NS FS & BS as well as a field weld flag, an all around circle, and a note tail, I could use multiple visibility states, I could do it with 16 visibility states.  Doing it this way, I would have to create 512 unique visibility states which could then be controlled with the lookups.  It would still require a large number of lookups as well.