Author Topic: Has anyone attended AU class CP104-1?  (Read 10683 times)

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
Re: Has anyone attended AU class CP104-1?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
. . .
Personally I think IronPython would be the easiest to learn and use and would be very quick to build app's with with IronRuby a close second but everyone is different so pick your poison, it all runs in the same engine.

If you could debug ironpython using VS in acad I would very rarely write code in another language again, it's that easy to read and use.
You probably already saw this then http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2009/12/command-line-scripting-of-ironpython-code-in-autocad.html
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 08:07:34 PM »
Yep, I also wrote a very simple script engine dll here -> http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=28675.0

This topic has got me thinking again and I have been having a look at BOO, so far it's very impressive and can be netloaded straight into acad like any other dll without the need for loading the scripting engine. Complete with form designer etc it's not a bad choice for development. Your dll's can be imported into other .net assemblies also as you would expect.
Debugging is a bit buggy though but it may be just me :)

Here's Kean's post on BOO if anyone is interested -> http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2009/05/using-boo-with-autocad.html
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
.... as a cad manager I would LOVE to bang out some simple scripts in something more modern than autolisp. .....

I thought the same thing.  I have done a bit of work with IronRuby,  writing some helpers and wrappers for the AutoCAD .Net API and I love it. 

If anyone is interested, you can take a look at my github account http://github.com/davidbl/acadhelper\ for the code (see the wiki pages) and my blog http://blog.davidkblackmon.com/  for some more examples.

Using Ruby, an AutoCAD developer has access to a huge library of code via RubyGems.  Just about anything you that you might need is already available as a gem.   Plus Ruby gives an easy way to connect web applications to AutoCAD using Rails/ActiveRecord. (I sure it would be similar for Python too)

Hey David,
Kean gave TIRADE a spot in his class.  Cool stuff.  I was dead set on learning python until I saw that, now I have a decision to make; thanks a lot :)
Bobby C. Jones

Ken Alexander

• Newt
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »
I agree with Kerry on the reading/pausing.  I hadn't thought of it like that, but seeing segments is definitely easier

It’s funny, I was going through some sample C# code and I felt the complete opposite.  I wished that the segments were as easy to follow as VB.NET.  I wanted to find the “End IF”, “End While”, etc….  Then I was looking through another example written in C# and found it to be very easy to follow.  I realized that it had nothing to do with the braces or “End…” statements; it was how well the code was written.  The first sample had long, run-on methods and the second had very distinct, short, functional methods. It seems to me that how well the code is written will determine the ease of reading more so than the language that it is written in.  Just my two cents to defend VB.NET
Ken Alexander

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »
I agree with Kerry on the reading/pausing.  I hadn't thought of it like that, but seeing segments is definitely easier

It’s funny, I was going through some sample C# code and I felt the complete opposite.  I wished that the segments were as easy to follow as VB.NET.  I wanted to find the “End IF”, “End While”, etc….  Then I was looking through another example written in C# and found it to be very easy to follow.  I realized that it had nothing to do with the braces or “End…” statements; it was how well the code was written.  The first sample had long, run-on methods and the second had very distinct, short, functional methods. It seems to me that how well the code is written will determine the ease of reading more so than the language that it is written in.  Just my two cents to defend VB.NET

Surprising, you would think a programmer of your stature would have made the switch to the more superior language, C#..   :lol: .. just kidding

Hey do you know Jesse at MV, if you do tell him Daniel said Hi!  :-)

SomeCallMeDave

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »
Hey David,
Kean gave TIRADE a spot in his class.  Cool stuff.  I was dead set on learning python until I saw that, now I have a decision to make; thanks a lot :)

Bobby,

Cool. Kean and I had been corresponding a bit, but I didn't know he was going to mention TIRADE.

Work on TIRADE has taken a bit of a backseat lately, but I hope to be back to it soon.

Would you be interested in being a beta tester?

If anyone else is interested in testing it,  drop me a PM.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:57:32 AM by David Blackmon »

Ken Alexander

• Newt
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 11:52:49 AM »
switch to the more superior language, C#..

Maybe not switch, but use both, yes.  Superior???? TBD. :|

Hey do you know Jesse at MV, if you do tell him Daniel said Hi!  :-)

I will tell him.
Ken Alexander

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »
Would you be interested in being a beta tester?

If anyone else is interested in testing it,  drop me a PM.

I'm going to give both IR & IP a whirl to see which one hits my spot.  I'd be happy to use TIRADE in my IR learning.  I'll drop you a PM.  Thanks David.
Bobby C. Jones