Author Topic: Has anyone attended AU class CP104-1?  (Read 10707 times)

csharpbird

• Newt
Has anyone attended AU class CP104-1?
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
CP104-1:Using .NET 4.0 with AutoCAD
Any information? :-D

vegbruiser

Re: Has anyone attended AU class CP104-1?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »
Hi,

I'm pretty sure you can get the Class Materials here: -

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=e_class&session_id=5164

I didn't attend the class though.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »

I read no further than this :
Reply Albert Szilvasy replied...
.NET 4.0, unlike previous version of the .NET framework, no longer rolls applications forward. AutoCAD will load and use the .NET 3.5 SP1 even when you have .NET 4.0 installed. This means that assemblies (.dlls) that you build against .NET 4.0 will not load. You can instruct AutoCAD to load the .NET 4.0 framework by adding the following to you acad.exe.config: Note however that AutoCAD 2010 will not start on .NET 4.0 Beta 2. There are some compatibility issues that we are working on.

VS2010 editor seemed quite good to use.
Assumption, not tested.
Perhaps the VS2010 editor could be used to build .NET 3.5 dlls ??

//==
csharpbird,
Was there any special reason you wanted to use .NET 4.0 ??

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »
CP104-1:Using .NET 4.0 with AutoCAD
Any information? :-D

Yes.  Acad 2010 is not compatible with .net 4.0.  Since 4.0 is not yet released, it is unknown when acad will be compatible.

However, when the two do meet, there is some cool stuff possible with dynamic languages, like python and ruby.
Bobby C. Jones

Draftek

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:02:14 PM »
Awesome class and I got some great ideas for future development.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »
Draftek, you were in the class?  I was in there as well
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
Do you mean to tell me that I was sitting in a room with a bunch of fellow swampers and didn't know it?
Bobby C. Jones

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »
Do you mean to tell me that I was sitting in a room with a bunch of fellow swampers and didn't know it?

This is why folks -do- need stinkin' badges!  :-D

Draftek

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
Draftek, you were in the class?  I was in there as well

Drats! I was in the back on the right side, isle seat.
Kaki hat, carrying a Head Racquetball backpack - red, white and black.

I think that's the class I lost my cell phone in....

I did see Mr. Jones.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:34:06 PM by Draftek »

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 05:12:58 PM »
I was on the row just ahead of the back row, 3rd seat to right of isle.  If you were on the same row, when you bailed, you left your orange juice there.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 05:14:05 PM »
AZ told me that Draftek was in Vegas, bet we didn't have his cell number.  Bobby, you never PM'd Kate you would be there.

Draftek

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »
I was on the row just ahead of the back row, 3rd seat to right of isle.  If you were on the same row, when you bailed, you left your orange juice there.

hmm. I was probably just in front of you, I think about 3 rows from the back.
Did you see Mark Johnston on the left side? He caught me on the way out and we chatted for about 10 minutes after the class.

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »
Guilty as charged. You guys should have put your Swamp names on your badges. I would have bought you beers at the exhibit opening! :) I had no idea I was in the presence of such greatness.

I lost some hair in that class. So much flying over my head!

There seemed to be a lot of talk about using other languages to drive AutoCAD. The DLR (Dynamic Language Runtime) was mentioned here and in Kean's class.
I came away with 2 main impressions.

1. We will have more choices in languages for programming AutoCAD.

2. These languages are simpler to write than C# or even VB.NET. They are more along the lines of scripting languages.

I have real problems with both of these conclusions.
I don't see how they help us all that much, if at all. In fact I could make a case that they hurt us as programmers.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

sinc

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
It's tied in with the whole idea of "frameworks".

Basically, what's happened for a long time (since C became popular) is for people to have "class libraries".  This is where people would typically put all the common stuff - you know, the basic routines that people use all the time, and don't want to rewrite all the time.  Then the typical way to create an application was to start writing code that calls the routines in these "class libraries".

Along the way, it became apparent to some that we were still rewriting a lot of the same code over and over again.  So they got the idea to try and include EVERYTHING that we write all the time in a "framework".  As opposed to having a class library full of routines that get called by our application, we have a framework that contains all the common components of an application.  Then we only write the parts that are different from other applications.  We actually start an application by simply instantiating an "Application" class (or a subclass of an "Application" class).  Then this "Application" class has a bunch of hooks (i.e., events and delegates), which allow us to add our custom pieces.  Net result is we can build a better application faster.

In other words, instead of creating a bunch of custom code that makes a bunch of calls to a "Class Library", we have a framework that makes a bunch of calls to our custom code.  In many respects, it's the mirror-image approach to what we did in C.

When we start looking at things this way, then most of the time, all we need to do is specify little pieces of high-level logic.  Everything else is done by the framework.  So we actually aren't losing anything as programmers.  By contrast, we're gaining, and we can concentrate only on the important logic of our application.  All of (or at least most of) the "grungy details" are taken care of in the framework.

Now of course, not EVERYTHING can be done via a high-level approach.  So we might still find ourselves breaking out chunks for implementation in some lower-level language, such as C++ or (in very rare cases) even Assembly.   But for most application programming, this approach yields FAR better results, FAR quicker, than attempting to do everything via a low-level approach.

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 04:50:11 PM »
Guilty as charged. You guys should have put your Swamp names on your badges. I would have bought you beers at the exhibit opening! :) I had no idea I was in the presence of such greatness.

I lost some hair in that class. So much flying over my head!

There seemed to be a lot of talk about using other languages to drive AutoCAD. The DLR (Dynamic Language Runtime) was mentioned here and in Kean's class.
I came away with 2 main impressions.

1. We will have more choices in languages for programming AutoCAD.

2. These languages are simpler to write than C# or even VB.NET. They are more along the lines of scripting languages.

I have real problems with both of these conclusions.
I don't see how they help us all that much, if at all. In fact I could make a case that they hurt us as programmers.

I agree, as a programmer I don't see myself writing an app of any size with a dynamic language, however, as a cad manager I would LOVE to bang out some simple scripts in something more modern than autolisp.  I'm also sure that these thoughts are debatable, and debatable by some programmers here in the swamp!
Bobby C. Jones