Author Topic: AutoCAD Structural Detailing 2010  (Read 5648 times)

T-Square

AutoCAD Structural Detailing 2010
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:38:17 PM »
Greetings,

I now have the 64 bit version of AutoCAD Structural Detailing (ASD) 2010, with Windows 7. I can honestly say that it is quite smooth. Time will tell though.

I'd like to get some folks input that are currently using ASD. I am planning on diving into some serious self training. The reading and online kind. I see a lot of potential for the bettering of this software and I am along for the ride. I'm really looking for the "process". What makes sense, how to be best set up in the beginning with the obvious customizations that are required to do the day to day type connections, reinforcing and customs. I hear they are called "Families". Family is good. :-)

Short and long of it all... anyone have some useful information to share?

Thanks Folks.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: AutoCAD Structural Detailing 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:55:50 PM »
I haven't seen 2010 but 2009 was pretty ordinary IMO. I downloaded the demo version for a try and didn't find it very intuitive at all, then there was the bugs!
The detailing seemed cumbersome too but I admit I didn't spend too much time with it, in capable hands it might be more impressive.

We can probably put 2010 on here so when I do I'll have another look.

Have you used it for very long? If so how do you find it?

Does it detail using referece/work points?
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

T-Square

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »
I am a beginner with the ASD and Revit Strcutural. AutoCAD for 16+ years.

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe some folks can give me a hint if this might work or not be worth it at all.

Simple concrete and steel structure. Isolated concrete footings, Wide flange columns and beams, I can draw the 3d concrete shapes and basic 3d columns and beams faster in vanilla AutoCAD than in ASD.

Is this something I can use to import into ASD as a 3d model and (1) Detail the concrete footings via the Reinforcing module (2) can I convert the 3d steel objects into objects recognized correctly in ASD and (3) will ASD create shop drawings via their automated process as if it were created in ASD?

Maybe silly questions. But understand I can draw and move around easier in ACAD than in ASD... right now anyway. Just exploring ideas.

Thanks Folks.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »
Basically if you want to detail your 3d objects in ASD they need to be created by ASD as each object stores it's own intelligence which is used for dimensioning/detailing and bill of materials etc. and this is typical with any detailing package.

From what I've seen Revit structural is good for design/concept work with detailing capabilities to a point but for actual fabrication/shop and concrete reo detailing it falls well short.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

T-Square

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 04:39:40 PM »
Greetings again,

Does anyone have a small concrete and steel BIM model I may use for practice? Simple two story with steel or concrete stairs, strip and/or isolated footings, etc. I want to take an actual model and work the process of detailing the concrete and steel.

Also, if anyone has an ASD model similar to above, that would be cool too.

One more thing. Anyone heard of when Autodesk might be updating the Formworks module to Imperial? :-) That appears to be a useful tool. :-)

I also like the extensions and subscription benefits. Well, at least they will keep me on subscription. :-) Funny how that works.

Thanks Folks.

Have A Wonderful Day!