Author Topic: Create FeatureLine From Object [XREF] broken  (Read 3065 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Create FeatureLine From Object [XREF] broken
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:09:16 AM »
Beware that should youuse the tool

Create Feature Line from Object

and use the XREF option, and attempt to assign elevations to the feature line the tool fails!
It remains broken since it's initial release, and autodesk has yet to admit the issue exists.

In normal operation should one convert a polyline to feature line, and chose assign elevations option, one is then taken to a page to assign a fixed elevation, or allow the feature line to get elevations from the surface the user selects, and all goes well.

With the [XREF] option; when one selects assign elevations and clicks the OK button, one is then dumped out of the command straight to a command prompt.  Yes the feature line is created. NO, you did not assign elevations to it, this must then be done by editing the feature line you just made because the command fails.  Two years running, let's just see how long it takes them to first admit it doesn't work, and then actually fix the problem.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ChristopherF

• Newt
Re: Create FeatureLine From Object [XREF] broken
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:38:33 AM »
I generally don't have a problem with Autodesk admitting something doesn't work, did you submit a support request so they can admit it doesn't work and try to fix it?

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Thanks Michael, I've used that a few times to create an alignment, but not a Feature Line.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

jugglerbri

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »
You can also choose objects through an XREF when using the create parcel from object command and the create pipe network from object command.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
Thanks Michael, I've used that a few times to create an alignment, but not a Feature Line.

You are welcome Alan!
Yes ChristopherF, I have....denials just like I got from the product team when the XDREF function didn't.
After they broke it with a SP.

Same as the problem with pipes NOT allowing the user to not be forced to use a null structure; they had that working ....for about two months, and then it to was broken by a SP, and STILL remains so 3 versions later....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:47:37 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »
here let break it down for you nice a slow like...

yes I reported the featureline from XREF not working....

I also reported an issue a couple of years ago when they BROKE the XDREF function...see post in this forum...http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=18719.msg240988#msg240988
DENIALS all around..

Also problems with pipe networks...for a brieef moment in the 2006 version it would allow a user to create a pipe network and NOT force the use of null structures....they btoke that try to NOT use null structures in a pipe network for say water pipes where there would not be a structure at every deflection....you can't....for a brief period you could, and then they broke it, and still three years later one is forced to use the Null structure when in fact one doesn't want or need a structure at all...

yes I report the problems, and often when I get a response at all it is in the form of a denial that the problem exists, even when other users are reporting the same thing....
or the other anser is, 'it works with our data' however they will not send copies of said data...why?  'oh, it's proprietary', translation no it doesn't work....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 06:55:33 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 07:02:29 PM »
you want to do some good ChristopherF?

instead of defending autodesk, why not have them log-in here and discuss the issues...

the reason I say this, is that when they can't solve the problem and get frustrated with dealing with the issues I bring up here, they can't have me banned, as they could and might at the autodesk newsgroup site...

another thing is I still haven't figured out why every single time I try to log-in overthere I MUST request and reset my password, and there seems to be no contact there that can answer that question either

everytime..it's just stupid...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:47:11 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jugglerbri

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 07:08:10 PM »
Why loose your venom on me?  All I did was to offer some other options for creating objects from xrefs.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »
Why loose your venom on me?  All I did was to offer some other options for creating objects from xrefs.

Sorry about putting your name where another should have been.
I guess I got a little crosseyed with the suggestion being made that I had done nothing to report these issues to autodesk.
I think that if they would ever acknowledge the issues AND make them go away I wouldn't have so much pent up negative energy left over to misdirect in anyones direction.

Apologies to you sir.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
I don't believe Christopher suggested anything, Michael. He asked a question. I was going to ask it myself earlier, but saw he already had. I've just submitted a SR myself.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:19:27 AM »

Let me know what sort of response you get ... because I haven't heard anything from them yet.
And let's see how many versions it takes them to fix it.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ChristopherF

• Newt
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 10:40:31 AM »
I'm a little confused, I didn't see any denials in the link you provided. Are you equating something not getting fixed to being a denial of it not working? If that's the case it's a simple case of misunderstanding of what you consider a denial. I'm not trying to defend Autodesk, based on your statement of Autodesk denying something didn't work indicated to me you where using generalities and didn't submit a SR.

In this thread you imply I have a deep relationship with Autodesk, I do not. Other than Scout, I usually don't get emails or calls returned, just like most of the world.

For the pipe networks issue you discuss didn't they take that capability away to have pipes show more correctly at bends? See the attached picture, the top has no null structure and the bottom has a null structure. I think if I'm using water pipes I'd want the null structure to get the pipes to show correctly.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 10:55:20 PM »
uh, pretty sure it wasn't a display issue...at one point you could actually have a parts list with NO NULL structure at all, and the pipe network, functioned perfectly.

Then they released a service pack, and since then one must have a null structure in ones pipe networks for them to work...I think one can not create alignment from netwok if all the pipes are not 'joined' to the network via a structure of some kind as well.  will test and report further.

given autodesk treats everyone so poorly, why then do they throw themselves to their defense so readily?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 10:59:59 PM »
that link verified that others also identified the XDREF problem,

here are a couple of the denails, when in fact at the time the thing was broken;

From: Henry Sanders <henry.sanders@autodesk.com> [Add to Address Book]
To: michael farrell <mjfarrell@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: XDREF issues
Date: Nov 13, 2007 8:30 AM
Mike,

I can't reproduce the problem on my SP2 install.
My point groups retain the xdref's assigned to them and the surfaces react accordingly.

Henry

From: Henry Sanders <henry.sanders@autodesk.com> [Add to Address Book]
To: michael farrell <mjfarrell@earthlink.net>
Date: Nov 16, 2007 1:37 PM
It works for me.
Created 3 point groups with the 3 material desc's and elev's from the xdref's and they retain their values.

Henry

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 11:35 AM
To: Henry Sanders

Henry,

Anything to report on this issue?  I trust it ran with my data.

Be your Best,

Michael Farrell

Be your Best

Michael Farrell