Author Topic: Has anyone heard of new AutoCAD release?  (Read 26301 times)

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
Has anyone heard of new AutoCAD release?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 02:07:15 PM »
I just today got a subscription renewal notice for the VIP package, offered by AutoDork!
I know every year about this time they send out a notice to renew our VIP subscription, then shortly after they release any new versions.

So I guess when, we pay our bill and after they offically release 2006 it will show up in the mail!  Oh boy the joy is heart stopping

:lol:
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 02:07:21 PM »
It's not a joke, I too received notification for vanilla 2006 thru most verticals. I heard rumblings 6 months ago they were planning to release it first quarter 2005. That's all I have.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

craigr

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 02:14:13 PM »
GREAT! :evil:

I finally talked my employer to upgrade everyone to 2005LT!

I didn't know 2006 would be out the first part of 2005!

We would have waited for it!

Oh well, live and learn.
 :roll:
craigr

whdjr

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 02:19:05 PM »
I just got my notice this morning that our 2006 ADT is in the mail. :(

PDJ

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »
Big thing I've been hearing is a new menu system.. Almost sounds like it's going back to the days of Display list drivers like Panacea.  Ahh yes, Panacea DLD, what a great tool.

Artisan

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 03:48:43 PM »
20 years ago a new seat of AutoCAD cost us about 150 billing rate manhours to buy, today a new seat costs about 100 billing rate manhours.  So the cost of the software is actually getting cheaper.  Compare that to other maintenance costs, like office space rental, health insurance, or the electric bill.

That's some good information Cadaver. I would be interested in seeing something like that here. I don't think anyone here has thought about it like that. Thanks for the idea.[/quote]

hyposmurf

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 03:58:53 PM »
Quote from: whdjr

and just when you were begining to become accustomised to 2005.Maybe theyre rushing it out so they can release 2005.5

whdjr

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 04:30:17 PM »
Quote from: hyposmurf
Quote from: whdjr

and just when you were begining to become accustomised to 2005.Maybe theyre rushing it out so they can release 2005.5

nah...they're just trying to rush the expiration date for 2005. :lol:

MikePerry

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 04:35:52 PM »
Hi

Keep an eye on the 15th of March 2005, that is the day Autodesk will *officially* start talking about AutoCAD 2006 (plus it's the date the CAD Press can offically start releasing articles on it).

Have a good one, Mike

craigr

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 04:37:59 PM »
I hope my employer doesn't run across this info. I'm sure I will hear about it if he does.

I used to think it was dumb that Auto makers came out with the next years model the previous Fall, but coming out with a 2006 just a few months into 2005 is ridiculous, no matter WHAT your selling!

At a very minimum, the AutoCAD dealer should let you know a new version is coming out in 2 months!

craigr

t-bear

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 04:48:01 PM »
Craigr.... If he tol' you THAT you woulda waited an' he'd missed a sale!  That boy skunked you. (but that's what he gits paid for, huh?)

Andrew H

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 04:50:27 PM »
Quote from: nivuahc
Hasn't this been announced for a while? You can pre-order your AutoCAD 2006 books (the 2006 bible, vba, yada-yada) on Amazon and a few other sites.  :?:

I posted this thread on 11-08-04 when I first heard the news, but now I have WRITTEN prof of the new release.

Andrew H

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2005, 04:51:27 PM »
Quote from: craigr
I hope my employer doesn't run across this info. I'm sure I will hear about it if he does.

I used to think it was dumb that Auto makers came out with the next years model the previous Fall, but coming out with a 2006 just a few months into 2005 is ridiculous, no matter WHAT your selling!

At a very minimum, the AutoCAD dealer should let you know a new version is coming out in 2 months!

craigr

They released 2005 in March of 2004, just FYI.

nivuahc

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 04:54:29 PM »
<rant_mode = ON>
The reason that Autodesk are releasing a new version every year is simple. They want you to buy the subscription. If you really think that they've doubled their development efforts over the past 3 years I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. While you can look at it from the point of view that, compared to the prices of other things, AutoCAD is getting cheaper... the fact, for me and my company at least, is that we can't afford to constantly upgrade just because Autodesk told us we have to. We need to be able to interface with other firms who did get sucked into the subscription scam so we are in a catch-22.

We upgraded to AutoCAD 2002 about 3 years ago. For my company, in my location, in our economy, it's a very, very, very difficult thing for us to drop several thousand dollars down on software that we don't actually want or need. The only reason we upgraded to 2002 was because Autodesk told us that, if we didn't, then the next release wouldn't be available to us as an upgrade. I presume that, once Autodesk begins to officially talk about 2006 they will drop a little note telling us that we'd better upgrade now or we'll really have to pay next year.

When 2004 was released, my boss asked me if we should upgrade then. We couldn't afford it, but he was worried about losing the opportunity to upgrade when the next release came out. I looked into AutoCAD 2004 and, for us, it offered 1 and only 1 feature that we might have been able to take advantage of. Tabs in MText. Whoop-de-friggin-doo. How could I justify having him spend all of that money for something so ridiculous? I couldn't. So I told him that, in my opinion, Autodesk were a bunch of crooks and he should hold off on upgrading until they actually have him over the barrel again.

Well it seems like Autodesk is working hard to put customers over the barrel. You'd think they would at least supply the lubricant!
<rant_mode = OFF>

craigr

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 04:55:06 PM »
I know, I know :oops:

I wasn't smart enough to look for 2006 this early in 2005.

(Maybe I should start looking for the 2010 version to come out for our next upgrade which is planned for 2007.) :P

craigr