Author Topic: Revit Structural Suite (detailing) No 64 bit... Help  (Read 6252 times)

T-Square

Revit Structural Suite (detailing) No 64 bit... Help
« on: October 03, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »
Live and learn....

I bought a very expensive 64 bit Alienware machine and Revit Structural suite specifically for the structural detailing component. Apparently the structural detailing component only works in 32 bit. I realized this when a client wanted a file converted down from 2010(ac1024) to the next lower version. I figured I would install the software from the trial cd that I got from the dealer. That is when I realized the software for steel detailing would not install. There is an x86 folder and I tried to install from that folder but to no avail. When I tried to install from the x86 folder it kept saying it could not find a "dll" file. Maybe a bad installation disc. I don't know. What I do know is that if I open the seal on the real software when it comes, I bought it... period. I could use the software on this very old box I have now, but it would totally negate the laptop I bought and my hopes for the best performance and the ability to be on site with my clients.

I am quite simply trying to stay with the times and meet my clients needs. I will never be at the level most of you folks are and I would never take bread from your table...NEVER. I don't need many clients to keep my lights on as I live quite frugally and basically on my wife's teacher salary during the winter months. I just want to keep current and always have the ability to handle any clients needs. I can quite honestly say that I have issues with the almighty dollar. Makes people weird. hahahahaha.....

So, my question is... does anyone know if there is a work around for this or will I have to take a hit on the laptop and sell it in order to purchase a 32 machine?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Specs....

Revit Structural Suite 2010
Alienware M17
Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4ghz 2.4ghz
4G RAM (yes I know 8 would have been better $$$)
ATI Radeon Mobility HD3870 512mb memory
Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 (free upgrade to Windows 7 upon release)
Seagate 500gb 7200 rpm Sata HDD

Thank You!

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
Re: Revit Structural Suite (detailing) No 64 bit... Help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
You wouldn't have to sell you new machine if you installed a 32 bit version of XP or Vista.  Perhaps you have an extra copy laying around already?  Maybe go for a dual booting system?

Of course this would not take full advantage of your 64 bit hardware.  Tough call...maybe it's best to hold off buying Revit until it is fully 64 bit compatible?  I wasn't aware of that detailing component restriction prior to you mentioning it.   :|
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

T-Square

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »
Raff,

Thanks for the response. Yes. I do believe that is going to be my best option. I wasn't sure you could do that with a 64 bit chip, but I guess it shows how much I know. hahahahaha

I will have to purchase another version of Vista 32 bit as my current pc is XP.

This really is unfortunate, but I will do what I have to.

Again, thanks for the response. Have a Great Day!

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
For the record, Revit Structure comes in both 32 and 64 bit flavors.  It's just the structural detailing bit, which runs inside AutoCAD, that hasn't been ported to 64 bit.  I'm not sure why it is lagging behind except that it is software they acquired with the purchase of RoboBAT.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »
I've read somewhere that Autodesk is working on a 64-bit version of SD. I believe the 64-bit version of Revit Structure is available if you're on subscription.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Bob Garner

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »
Probably won't help you now but I made my ACAD reseller guarantee that my ACAD lt 2010 would run on my 64 bit machine.

And for what it's worth, I can't run GWBasic on my 64 bit.  And I've programmed a bunch in basic.

G'luck.

Bob G.

T-Square

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
Chuck... and others,

I figured that AD had purchased another software title for the SD and that is the reason it has not been configured for 64 bit yet. I also figured that AD would creating a 64 bit version of SD once their programmers had a chance to dig into the code. I'm not always a patient man. :-)

My reseller is being really forthcoming and helpful and I appreciate it. I'm not a multi-seat company and thus not very profitable to the reseller. So, when you have the reseller business owner helping you because he understands the difficulties a small business owner goes through, it's pretty cool.

I don't know the software and need time to dig into it. Being that we have two seasons up here in Alaska... construction season and winter, I figured I could spend the winter learning the software. Or at least trying to. I have read and heard of some mixed reviews of the SD end of things and that does worry me, but only to the extent that I know all software titles from AD has bugs. Some more than others. Nature of the business. Shareholder profits. Again, I go back to the whole money thing making people weird. :-)

I did have the misfortune of using a program called RebarCAD and it was seriously less than desirable and only 2D. I would much rather deal with AD. Back when I started using AC, release 12 for dos I got really enthused about the prospect of 3D. I thought... 3D means you could actually build it. Virtually of course. To me that seemed the logical thing to do. Nothing more embarrassing than to get a call from the folks in the filed going... uhhhhh.... I just sent my crew home because this isn't going to work.

Anyway. I sincerely appreciate all of the responses and info. You folks are always very helpful and equally important... respectful. Swamp folks are the best.

Thank You!

sinc

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
With C3D 2008, all I had to do was hack the installer with Orca, and turn off the "NoWOW64" option (or whatever it was called - it was something like that).  I think I also had to make a similar change in a script file.  Then C3D 2008 installed and worked without a problem on my 64-bit machine.

Not sure if you can take the same route or not.