Author Topic: How do you detail in Revit?  (Read 10493 times)

Bob Wahr

How do you detail in Revit?
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »
Not, "How does one detail in Revit," but hw do you actually do it.  To date, when using Revit, I used AutoCAD details along with Revit models.  Now I'm in a place where I a) don't have a library of predrawn CAD details to use and b) am looking to start using Revit a whole lot more.  Do you model in Revit and detail in CAD or do you do it all in Revit?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: How do you detail in Revit?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »
you might want to check this:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=5530033&linkID=9243099

I found it very enlightening....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
I do most of my detailing in Autocad similar to you, although to be fair we haven't done all that many projects in Revit yet.

If you have an immense library of Autocad details already drawn, it is hard to abandon them and do it all in Revit.
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
Not, "How does one detail in Revit," but hw do you actually do it.  To date, when using Revit, I used AutoCAD details along with Revit models.  Now I'm in a place where I a) don't have a library of predrawn CAD details to use and b) am looking to start using Revit a whole lot more.  Do you model in Revit and detail in CAD or do you do it all in Revit?
As of right now, approximately 75% of our details have been "Revitized".  We have a dozen or so typical details that are on EVERY job - those details are part of our Revit template.  Because all of the details haven't been converted yet, we still do details and all of our scheduling (dumb table objects) in AutoCAD.  There are 4 people in our office that have about 7 months of hands-on experience with Revit working on 3 different projects.  I expect (hope) that by this time next year, EVERYTHING will be done in Revit.  This DOES pose a problem - our "drafters" are going to have to step up and become "junior designers" and start actually THINKING about what they're drawing/modeling.  I hopeful that this won't be a huge hurdle to overcome.  I've noticed a few of the drafters are actually getting excited about Revit and they can now fully visualize/see what the various systems look like in real/virtual life and how everything interacts - pipes with ducts with steel with ceilings with floors with...

I kinda rambled, didn't I?   :|
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:22:23 AM »
I kinda rambled, didn't I?   :|
Yes you did but it was very helpful.  :roll:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here for camaraderie

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:14:20 AM »
I'm interested in how details are done in Revit also.

Can you get enough detail to say, dimension anchor bolt locations for a base plate?
Soli Deo Gloria

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:15:12 AM »
Oh, another question -
Are the details dynamic or static?
Soli Deo Gloria

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:04:03 AM »
Drafting views are static; callout (detail) views are real-time.

A drafting view is basically lines, arcs and text.
A callout view is a "viewport" of the model.  Therefore, if the model changes, the callout view changes as well - automagically!
Autodesk Expert Elite

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:13:57 AM »
Thanks,
So, if the model doesn't include enough information then you have to use a drafting view?

Let's say you wanted a section through the jamb of a window to show the parts that make up the window and how it's attached to the building frame.
Could you do that with a viewport or would you need a drafting view?
Soli Deo Gloria

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
Can you get something like this dynamically?

Soli Deo Gloria

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »
If not, what would the advantages of creating your details in revit vs autocad and then simply importing them?
Soli Deo Gloria

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 09:35:38 AM »
So, if the model doesn't include enough information then you have to use a drafting view?
Yes and no.  You can use detail components on top of the callout view.  Detail components are sort of like blocks.  You would be adding more detailed information to the view.

Let's say you wanted a section through the jamb of a window to show the parts that make up the window and how it's attached to the building frame.
Could you do that with a viewport or would you need a drafting view?
Either.  If the model contains a high level of detail then yes, you could certainly do it in a callout view (similar to the picture you posted).
Autodesk Expert Elite

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »
If not, what would the advantages of creating your details in revit vs autocad and then simply importing them?
You can certainly keep your details in AutoCAD and just link them into Revit.  The only downside to linking them is that you aren't able to modify them (unless you partially/fully explode them).  I've been converting our details from AutoCAD to Revit slowly - basically on an as-needed basis.  It's not something you can accomplish in a day.  Not if you have more than a handful of details anyways.  It's a slow and tedious process.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »
Hmmm Thanks. I'm going to have to research this.

I only have about 45 thousand details and they are updated frequently.....

It looks like callout view will not work. Architects do not like it when our families have a high level of detail - bogs model down too much.

I may have to do some programming with the API's to create some kind of dynamic links.

I appreciate the feedback, very helpful.
Soli Deo Gloria