Author Topic: LABEL STYLES  (Read 6363 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: LABEL STYLES
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »
Do the extra columns come in when importing a FBK file through the Survey Database?  I've only used the extra columns when importing points from a CSV file, and not when importing FBK.

and I'm fair certain it will show up should you use the Import Points option, sugesting that in your Import Event proccessing, that you NOT bring in the point objects

Not as a(n) Import event; the extra 'attributes' come in as an) Import Points function as you have observed.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

tcopeland

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
In the first post I had information farther down in the text file that was labeled how it came from the data collector, it was in the same format that you had did your test with but only had one column of information.  Can you get that information to come in correct?

tcopeland

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
I have attached three different files.  The first file is the same as what was posted the second time.  I was not able to produce any notes with this file when I inserted it into the drawing.

The second file is an fbk file that was generated from the first file using survey link to convert the file to an fbk. (you will need to remove the .txt extension once you download the file)  This did bring in all of the note informationbut this is what it gave me STNSET,this,is,just a test including the commas.  It was supposed to create three different notes based on the way the user defined setting was set up.

The final file is again an fbk file. (you will need to remove the .txt extension once you download the file) This was exported out of the original file to show that no notes were inserted into the drawing when in imported the original ASC file with the notes (this would be the first text file).

When you import the fbk files you will notice all of the line work will be jacked up.  Just ignore that please.  It is actually correct, but when you convert the text file to a FBK file it messes with the original file and you get what you see.

I am going to generate a new user defined setting to try this all over again.

Michael you can use this information for your other request.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 10:15:08 AM »
 It was supposed to create three different notes based on the way the user defined setting was set up.

uh, what do you mean it was supposed to create THREE different notes?
one user defined property each for [desc]STNSET,[col1]this, [col2]is,[col3]just a test ?
and then one label element each for the contents

or were trying to get three different labels based on something else?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »
when you create(d) your user defined properties....

Extra_Point_Data  

did you then create a new property under that single class for each new column of data?

col1
col2
col3
col4
col5

or did you make a user defined property for each?  (this way wont work as expected)
Col1
Col2
Col3
with NO defined classes under each User Defined Property Classification
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tcopeland

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »

uh, what do you mean it was supposed to create THREE different notes?
one user defined property each for [desc]STNSET,[col1]this, [col2]is,[col3]just a test ?
and then one label element each for the contents

or were trying to get three different labels based on something else?
[/quote]

What you have said is correct and what was shown earlier is correct.  I can not get any of the comments to show up.  The initial reason for the 3 columns was that the data collector had been placing a date and time stamp on every code.  We had defined the setup to show all 3 columns of information to make the data show up in C3D.  I would be happy if I could get the current data to work correctly.  We will only need to have the 1 column added to the end of the string of information.  We have found out how to remove the date and time stamp from the notes prior to the exporting of the data.

tcopeland

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
For the user defined classification I defined a classification called DATA COLLECTOR COMMENTS.  Then I created three properties within that classification.  Is that the correct way to do this?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 10:29:36 AM »
yes that is correct..
then in the point file format you pointed the extra columes to use those classifications....

and the file:  Copy_of_EDITED_HEADQTRS_TOPO4_W_NOTES.txt

does produce the desired three colums of data, for me...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:32:54 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tcopeland

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »
Check out the PDF.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »
I see the the PDF, now please Load and Parse your TXT file...and show me that image....

do the columns populate?

I wonder if this an order of operations issue?

Set up a user defined classification

Point_Notes

set up sub classes under Point_Notes
col1
col2
col3
col4 etc as needed up to 7 extra attributes

Set up the point Label Style
addding in the user defined properties as label components
col1
col2
col3

Set up the point file format

adding the desired attribute columns to fit your data format

Load your TXT file, and parse it, if that data does NOT populate the colums in the format window correctly it will also NOT work within the point label style....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:47:58 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tcopeland

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »
The attached PDF is what I have set up already.  I see that it works for you so I may just need to recreate a user defined classification, point label style, and point file format.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:21:41 AM by mtc49 »

tcopeland

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:38 AM »
yes that is correct..
then in the point file format you pointed the extra columes to use those classifications....

I don't get the desired result that you show in your picture.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 11:28:47 AM »
yes that is correct..

I don't get the desired result that you show in your picture.

from the latest PDF you posted you certainly DO get all three columns to populate correctly...
now you need to set up your point label style...

the easiest way is to start with a copy of the Standard that has all three elements
Point Number
Point Elevation
Point Description

then to each of these label components edit the contents and add the user defined properties values...
leaveing the original information as part of the label until you have the style working as desired, and then delete them
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
The attached PDF is what I have set up already.  I see that it works for you so I may just need to recreate  point label style,

I think it is just the label style, as the data is being parsed correctly in the point file format window...at least from the posted PDF image indicating that you are getting three extra attribute colums with data in them.

NOTE:

Remember that the user defined information will NOT appear in the label style composer preview window.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tcopeland

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:23 PM »
Still no luck!  I created a new everything.  When I have the points inserted in the DWG I then change the point label style to the one I want and I see no extra information.  I also looked at the imported point file information and I do not have any comments showning up in the Column 1 area like what you show.

The only other thought would be I may need to look at how the description keys are set up.  What did you use in the format column for the codes?  i.e. for Curb and Gutter code we are using CGL.  So for the code I have CGL* because we may use numerics behind the code to allow for double coding.  In the format column I have CURB/GUTTER $1

Is this something that could be causing the problem with it not impoting the points?  Or do I have something else going on?