Author Topic: Simpson connectors in details  (Read 6071 times)

Bob Wahr

Simpson connectors in details
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
How do you show them?  Do you show them schematically or accurately?

Maverick®

• Seagull
Re: Simpson connectors in details
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »
I take the perspectives off of their website and slap them in my drawings.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »
Right off of the CD.  I have actually cleaned them and added them to my block library and use a pull-down to access them.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

James Cannon

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »

Depending on the situation, we typically use the pictoral installation details Simpson provides on their Strongtie.com site, or the cd you can get mailed to you with their catalog.

That's mostly for wood connectors, concrete anchors, straps, and other such connectors.  For shear walls, we'll have a roughly-scaled elevation of the shear wall with connection types called out, and a table noting what hardware to use with connections, and a separate sheet for connection details, where we have a slew of the Simpson details shown pictorally with minimal annotation.

Not sure what you mean specifically, but that's one example.

For times when we have Simpson hardware in our structural foundation drawings, we'll typically have a detail with the orthographic hardware drawn in, in one of our typical sections/details with the other foundation details, but typically they're things like sill plate anchors, or tie-down straps that can be included with the typical foundation details in a similar way as I described the shear wall details.

James Cannon

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »
Right off of the CD.  I have actually cleaned them and added them to my block library and use a pull-down to access them.

Simpson has a menu you can install in Autocad for -all- of their drawings.  One of the engineers here has it installed and likes it.. but I'm wary of installing 3rd party Autocad addons like that.  That's me though.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
In plan very schematic.  IN detail we get the detail from Simpson, give a bath, powder it, then insert it into our drawings.  If it is extra special, it will get a note to "Yaada Yaada .... connector.  Reference the drawings from Hell AKA structural drawings."

Why?  Because we are Archies that is why.    :-D 8-)

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Bob Wahr

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 12:33:37 PM »
Thanks.  At my last company, we showed them very schematically for the most part.  Now I'm in the position to develop a standard from scratch.  I didn't see any reason not to show them more precisely but wondered how others did it. James,  I've use the Simpson menu with no problems.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:55:22 PM »
Right off of the CD.  I have actually cleaned them and added them to my block library and use a pull-down to access them.

Simpson has a menu you can install in Autocad for -all- of their drawings.  One of the engineers here has it installed and likes it.. but I'm wary of installing 3rd party Autocad addons like that.  That's me though.

Yeah I don't use the Simpson menu, mine is home grown  :laugh:

In plan we just use a schem. view, in section and detail we use the real deal.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

Our structural boys have >>this<< installed.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Bob Garner

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
If I am very familiar with the framing connector, I just slap on a schematic.  If I'm not real sure, I draw it to scale to make sure the nails will go in the right places and every thing fits correctly.  I hate getting a call from a contractor telling me the nails in my specified connector don't have enough edge distance or similar problems.

Bob G.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 01:59:26 PM »
After a flea dip and delousing, the simpson details and orthographic drawings are used to represent the connectors accurately .. well, as accurate as the details on the CD can be ...

I used to put the Simpson drawings in my details folder, but I found that they change every year and the time it takes to go through them isn't warranted ... so I keep the CD in the CD-ROM and grab new ones as I need them, clean em up and then put them in the details folder. If they have changed, I do it again.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

James Cannon

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
They obsolete a lot of connectors every year, too, coming out with new models and styles as they perfect designs and improve them.  That can be problematic with spec'ing old hardware that may not be available anymore.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »
They obsolete a lot of connectors every year, too, coming out with new models and styles as they perfect designs and improve them.  That can be problematic with spec'ing old hardware that may not be available anymore.

Hence why we say go see structural drawings.  (get out of jail free card  :roll:)
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans