Author Topic: Unlicensed Acad from your teacher  (Read 26593 times)

Tuoni

• Gator
  • I do stuff, and things!
Re: Unlicensed Acad from your teacher
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »
.....  it boiled down to this: the fallacies that "piracy is theft" (it isn't), "piracy is stealing" (nope, it isn't that, either) ..................

and there are some of us who will disagree with this analysis.

:)
What, that piracy isn't theft or stealing?  Well... it isn't.  If you steal a car, that's not a breach of copyright.  If you walk into a shop and fill your bag with CDs, that is theft.  You download something in a way which breaks copyright, it isn't theft, it's breaking copyright.  If it *was* theft, why have all of the lawsuits (when was the last time you heard of one going to court, btw?) been civil ones, and not criminal ones?

Tell you what, you copy my car, I'll steal yours and we'll call it quits, k?

;)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2009, 08:09:58 PM »

Stealing is a moral concept not a legal one.

.. and my moral base is not religious.

I choose to make no further comment on this subject.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »
.....  it boiled down to this: the fallacies that "piracy is theft" (it isn't), "piracy is stealing" (nope, it isn't that, either) ..................

and there are some of us who will disagree with this analysis.

:)
What, that piracy isn't theft or stealing?  Well... it isn't.  If you steal a car, that's not a breach of copyright.  If you walk into a shop and fill your bag with CDs, that is theft.  You download something in a way which breaks copyright, it isn't theft, it's breaking copyright.  If it *was* theft, why have all of the lawsuits (when was the last time you heard of one going to court, btw?) been civil ones, and not criminal ones?

Tell you what, you copy my car, I'll steal yours and we'll call it quits, k?

;)

Sweet!  So when can we expect you to post all of your source code, blocks, templates, standards, and the like?  As you said, its not stealing - its just a copy.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

vinnyg

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2009, 07:08:22 AM »
I believe a lot of this discussion could be centered around what version of AutoCad is being copied? My
personal opinion is if you are using an older version, that 's not supported any longer by Autodesk and use it
for learning purposes, it seems to me that it would actually benefit Autodesk. Because when you have gone
as far as you can with using an older version, you will need to purchase the newer release anyway to keep
up with all the current versions in order to attain a position in the working world. So a copy of a newer, supported release would be unethical. Most employers won't usually consider an applicant for a job unless
they have experience with the latest version(s) of AutoCad. Does this make since? Just my 2 cents.

vinnyg