Author Topic: Help: Northing and Easting??  (Read 5268 times)

StykFacE

Help: Northing and Easting??
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:23:03 PM »
I think this is a question for the Civil / Survey guys. I am trying to locate the origin point of a BIM file and it has Northing and Easting with Elevation notes on it. Can I post these and get some help?

Here are the files.... hopefully this makes sense, lol. Thanks for the help in advance.   :-)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Help: Northing and Easting??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
ok so you have coordinates...

now what or how do you want to use them?

are you attempting to MOVE the model to those coordinates? thus placing your model properly on the grid of the coordinate system that is going to be reference for the entire life of the BIM?

or is the model already at them? thus requiring you to do nothing

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

drizzt

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:36:44 PM »
what he said^^

StykFacE

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:39:14 PM »
ok so you have coordinates...

now what or how do you want to use them?

are you attempting to MOVE the model to those coordinates? thus placing your model properly on the grid of the coordinate system that is going to be reference for the entire life of the BIM?

or is the model already at them? thus requiring you to do nothing

He wants me to line up my file exactly to these coordinates, however I do not understand Northing and Easting. I have a 3D Mechanical File overlayed on a 2D architectural plan. That plan as the columns that the PDF is pointing to. Make sense? Thanks for the help Guys.

drizzt

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
Northing is y axis and Easting is x axis.

StykFacE

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 05:43:49 PM »
In what units, inches? So number 137 would be 4,996.331511" to the right of the origin point, and 4,993.679956" to the top?

James Cannon

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:50:11 PM »
In what units, inches? So number 137 would be 4,996.331511" to the right of the origin point, and 4,993.679956" to the top?

Feet.

Surveyors don't know what inches are.  They know feet and hundredths of feet.

Your column lines should have coordinates, yea?  If you have structural sheets, you should have coords on your foundation, or at least column lines.  Given that info, you should be able to use the "ALIGN" command to pick a known point on your plan, and then type in the coordinate destination, pick another known point, type in the coordinate destination, and you're done.

Of course, this is assuming you've already got your plan at the right SCALE.

StykFacE

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »
Feet.

Your column lines should have coordinates, yea?  If you have structural sheets, you should have coords on your foundation, or at least column lines.  Given that info, you should be able to use the "ALIGN" command to pick a known point on your plan, and then type in the coordinate destination, pick another known point, type in the coordinate destination, and you're done.

Unfortunately there are no coordinates with the structural columns. But thanks for the info regarding the Feet. I will go with this off the origin and see if that lines the columns up that are noted on the second PDF file. Thanks for all the help guys.  8-)

StykFacE

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »
Guys, it worked perfectly. Lined up exactly to the four column layouts it represented. Thanks again everyone.

drizzt

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »
your welcome!

James Cannon

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
Feet.

Unfortunately there are no coordinates with the structural columns. But thanks for the info regarding the Feet. I will go with this off the origin and see if that lines the columns up that are noted on the second PDF file. Thanks for all the help guys.  8-)

Pft... if I did the structural, each major foundation corner would have a northing and easting, so the surveyor could stake it out for the concrete guys to do their formwork. 

of course if it goes like the last project we did... the concrete guy will call up half way through pouring and say 'By the way, what're all these big numbers next to the X's on all the corners?' and it won't matter... d'oh!

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »

Pft... if I did the structural,............

I thought Randy was back.  :whistle: :-D

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »
for what it is worth, if you (and ALL architects) would STOP setting up your drawing(s) in ARCH units you (and the rest of us) wouldn't have these issues
Just set up your DIMENSIONS to read in arch units....and everyone could work together much easier....
this is how autodesk should have set it up in the first place instead of making ARCH=12x everything else, whereas choosing any other units setting does NOT scale the data in the same manner setting the drawing to ARCH does. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

James Cannon

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »
for what it is worth, if you (and ALL architects) would STOP setting up your drawing(s) in ARCH units you (and the rest of us) wouldn't have these issues
Just set up your DIMENSIONS to read in arch units....and everyone could work together much easier....
this is how autodesk should have set it up in the first place instead of making ARCH=12x everything else, whereas choosing any other units setting does NOT scale the data in the same manner setting the drawing to ARCH does. 

Yea, everyone else should change to match US!  THAT'S the logical method!  It's preposterous that WE would change to match OTHERS!

:-D

Dead horse is dead, please leave it buried.

Pft... if I did the structural,............

I thought Randy was back.  :whistle: :-D

:(
I cried a little. 

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »
J,

Think about it logically; why is it that ONLY setting your units to ARCH causes it to SCALE everything by 12 times? It shouldn't, and that is why logically they should change, thus making it easier for them to share work with ALL other trades without need to scale anything.  Or autodesk could change the software such that setting the file to ARCH doesn't scale everything. 

If you understand that you would see my point, if you don't you never will.  I'll leave you to finish filling in that hole with the horse in the bottom.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell