Author Topic: Toggle Object's Visibility Thru Xrefs?  (Read 1713 times)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Toggle Object's Visibility Thru Xrefs?
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:22:55 AM »
As some of you may or may not know, you can toggle an object's visibility on or off.  This is different from turning a layer on/off.

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off object's thru an xref and not affect the source file?  I've had a request to change the standard layers for a few objects for referencing purposes and was hoping to not change things (for now, anyways) and just be able to handle this by turning off objects on the same layer as the one's I'd like to see in the xref, and leave the rest as-is.

Anyone??  Bueller??  Bueller....
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: Toggle Object's Visibility Thru Xrefs?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 08:34:46 AM »
Just thinking aloud, I might approach it by stepping through the objects that make up the xref in the block collection, and modify them there. Not sure if it would work or not though  :-)

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »
You can turn the visible of an object off.  You could even change the layer of an object, along with other properties.  But will they stay that way one you save, close and reopen?  That changing of the properties of the object; no.  Not sure about the visibility though.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Joe Burke

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:35:54 AM »
Matt,

As Tim suggested, you can make an object in an xref invisible, but after save, close and reopen, the object will be visible.

You could use ObjectDBX to change the visible property in the parent xref, but that would be a dangerous situation since all files which xref the parent would be affected.