Author Topic: [General Autocad] Arcs and XDWGFADECTL  (Read 4774 times)

James Cannon

[General Autocad] Arcs and XDWGFADECTL
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »
I've always just lived with this issue because it did not matter terribly much to me and was minor, but today I guess I'm a little more curious than usual.

Using any of the FADE methods (XFADECTL, XDWGFADECTL, LAYLOCKFADECTL...) I notice that ARCs do not fade.  Notice the arc I point to in red.  Compare that to the line I point to in cyan.  They are identically layered objects within the xref.  Everything's the same for them other than one being a line, the other an arc.

Is this a general issue, or is something goofy for me?  It's happened as long as I can remember using these settings.

*edit*

posting the screenshot helps...

James Cannon

Re: [General Autocad] Arcs and XDWGFADECTL
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:11:16 AM »
Swing and a miss!

I guess no one knows what I'm talkin' 'bout?

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »
I never use those system variables.

what are the settings? - before and after.

deegeecees

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »
Maybe it's your vid card/driver.

James Cannon

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
I never use those system variables.

what are the settings? - before and after.

any of the xxxxCTL sysvars set the percentage of fading that occurs.

In this case, XDWGFADECTL makes all objects from an XREF fade. 

For example, the bottom-most two lines are actually the same color (green / #3) but the darker one is just faded because it's from an XREF.  I don't use these sysvars too often, but they come in handy for some specific tasks where I want to be able to visually ignore the XREF while still needing to refer to it now and then.

The sysvar setting is 0-90.  0 will be 0% fading, or no fading at all, and 90 will be 90% fading, to the point where you barely see it.

Any time I have it set to a non-zero, and any amount of fading occurs, the ARC objects never fade.  Very strange.  Just a quirk that doesn't affect me much, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has this happen as well.

Maybe it's your vid card/driver.

That's what I was hoping too.  I figured if no one else saw it, it must be something like that.  It's a "Gamer card" anyways, a Geforce 6800, a little dated.  So it's possible.  There's a whole slew of display quirks and errors that this card causes.

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »
sorry Josh, I use A2009 and don't see the XDWGFADECTL sysvar nor cmd in here

James Cannon

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »

That's strange :(

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ff-3a29af00119afd28e95-7ea6.htm,topicNumber=d0e361067

Type:     Integer
Saved in:    Registry
Initial value:    70

Controls the dimming for all DWG xref objects.

The valid XDWGFADECTL system variable value is between -90 and 90. When XDWGFADECTL is set to a negative value, the Xref Fading feature is not turned on, but the setting is stored.

0   -  DWG xref objects are not faded.

>0   -   When the value is positive, controls the percent of fading up to 90 percent.

<0   -   When the value is negative, xref objects are not faded, but the value is saved for switching to that value by changing the sign.

deegeecees

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 10:59:36 AM »

XFADECTL has been around for a while, ever since they implemented the in-place block/xref editing functionality.

deegeecees

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »
In twenty-oh-nine:

Command: XDWGFADECTL
Unknown command "XDWGFADECTL".  Press F1 for help.

What ver. you got James?

James Cannon

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »
2010 here, but i thought this one has been around for a while.

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:02:58 AM »
2010 here, but i thought this one has been around for a while.

Aha.... (I have 2010 too - have not used yet)

James Cannon

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »
In twenty-oh-nine:

Command: XDWGFADECTL
Unknown command "XDWGFADECTL".  Press F1 for help.

What ver. you got James?

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2009/03/autocad-2010-command-and-system-variable-history.html

my bad, it's on the list of new sysvars.  I could have sworn I've used it before, and I've only been using 2010 for maybe a month.  Must've been locking the layers and using LAYLOCKFADECTL... I know THAT one has been around for a little while longer...

deegeecees

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
I shoulda looked at your link more closely. At any rate, I don't have that problem. The arc in the pic is just an arc in the drawing with color of 7 (white), and the other geometry is the block being refedited.

James Cannon

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
I shoulda looked at your link more closely. At any rate, I don't have that problem. The arc in the pic is just an arc in the drawing with color of 7 (white), and the other geometry is the block being refedited.

Thanks... that pretty much narrows it to a video card issue then, I guess.  Strange, this is the first 2D video card problem I've identified.  Everything else was problems with visual styles and occasional orbitting glitches. 

deegeecees

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 11:55:13 AM »
Thanks... that pretty much narrows it to a video card issue then, I guess.

I wouldn't be too fast to jump to that conclusion, as AutoDask has been known to slip a few workarounds in under the radar which in turn has caused other headaches. But it does look as though it could be it.

Just taking a stab, but IIRC the FADE functionality uses OpenGL.