Author Topic: Paper Space Vs Model Space  (Read 22667 times)

dubb

• Swamp Rat
Paper Space Vs Model Space
« on: October 28, 2004, 02:30:21 PM »
I know that this has had been an issue in another post but nobody added to my comment after I had posted. Now I have reached critical decision..."Paper or Model" either one is good to use to a certain extent. I need to convince 3 people who depend on PS to use MS more frequently. Does anybody here work with Grading plans and most civil type engineering applications? I would like to hear from you. Depending on this topic and the vote poll I will incorporate your ideas and suggestions in to my next meeting. In fact I print these discussions out and show them.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 02:50:17 PM »
you show these discussions oh my that's dangerous. we use model for drawing and paper for printing period

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 02:57:26 PM »
I don't do grading plans, or at least not yet, but I do work in the civil field. Boudary work get's 80% of my attention. All work is plotted in paperspace.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 03:01:39 PM »
Always model

whdjr

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 03:11:47 PM »
We draw eveything fullsize in model space and use paperspace for plotting.  The only thing in paperspace is the titleblock info, viewports and some small misc details that are xref'ed onto a layout tab (to scale) so as not to have to use a viewport (you know too many viewports equals too long waiting for regenerations).

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 03:24:05 PM »
i think the majority of people use model for drawing and paper for plotting. i'm not going to get into what is the correct way but i have always seen doing everything in model to be somewhat archaic. Make the computer work for you not vice versa that's what i say  :wink: no hate mail please  :P

Jassper

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 03:34:15 PM »
Why don't you list the type of things you want in Paperspace and Have people say yea or nay to them.

When you talk about grading plans - can you be more specific?

The existing topo is a different drawing than the new topo. and they are xref'd into eachother. Each portion of the new topo Water/Sewer/ New grading / Pavement / even Demolition are all different tabs.

Anything you need to see for the site has to go into Model. Anything that is superfluous goes in PS.

My Dime...
Little :O)

Bob Garner

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 04:02:57 PM »
When I do civil plans and have to include details at a different scale, say a site plan at 1" = 20' and several drainage ditch details at 1" = 1', paper space makes it easy to place differently scaled items on a single sheet.  You could X-ref them too, but then you have to re-scale the linetype scales so they X-ref at the correct scale and your dotted lines don't all look like solid lines.  And our files here get juggled around so much, you never know if the X-ref files are where you think they are.

I try to keep my work simple enough that model space is enough, but combining scales on a sheet calls for paper space.

(I'm an injunere and even I could figgur out paper space so don't let that slow you down.)

Bobber

Bob Garner

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 04:07:12 PM »
p.s. dubb,

Where you at and what are you doing here in San D.?

I'm with Moffatt & Nichol - mostly structural engineering.

B.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 04:53:34 PM »
Paper space was designed as a plotting tool. I don't think AutoDesk was far sighted enough to see it as a drawing tool. The "experts" on their web site discourage drawing in paper space.
I can see the advantage of 2 view ports for plan/profile sheets, but you really have to watch the set up and make sure you have the right plannimetric data with the right profile. You can get one port behind and really mess up a job. DOH!!

whdjr

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 05:42:34 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
plannimetric

Uh oh!?!  He's using big words again.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 05:54:52 PM »
Where you at and what are you doing here in San D.?

I work in valley center at a civil engineering firm called "Wynn Engineering" i previously worked at "Hope Engineering" and i live in S.D. for all my life and i been drafting for 5 yrs as a graduate from ITT.

When I do civil plans and have to include details at a different scale, say a site plan at 1" = 20' and several drainage ditch details at 1" = 1', paper space makes it easy to place differently scaled items on a single sheet. You could X-ref them too, but then you have to re-scale the linetype scales so they X-ref at the correct scale and your dotted lines don't all look like solid lines. And our files here get juggled around so much, you never know if the X-ref files are where you think they are.

I try to keep my work simple enough that model space is enough, but combining scales on a sheet calls for paper space.

why not create another drawing xref'd and plotted out to a different scale?Shouldnt the layers, linetypes are more controllable.

Why don't you list the type of things you want in Paperspace and Have people say yea or nay to them.

When you talk about grading plans - can you be more specific?

The existing topo is a different drawing than the new topo. and they are xref'd into eachother. Each portion of the new topo Water/Sewer/ New grading / Pavement / even Demolition are all different tabs.

Anything you need to see for the site has to go into Model. Anything that is superfluous goes in PS.

My Dime...
Little :O)

-nice thinking to examine the elements in paperspace with my group.

-i really dont have much experience with civil...however, i work for a civil company but Im the only one in charge of the structural drafting side and soon i will be cross training with civil. I have worked for other civil engineering companies but i didnt gained much knowledge of it because my interests was structural

-[i beleive] anything that goes in paperspace will not be scaled up or down unless it is a physical feature in what I am drawing. Think of a 24x36 paper with a 20x34 hole cut out of it and you can see right throuh it.

I use model to print and to draw. I use paper space for multiple views but if i have to change to Xrefs for a new sheet i would do that, in my field of work its not often that i use paper. but i think in civil there is a big purpose for that, but i try to avoid paper because by using it i can make 6 or 7 layouts wich will lag out my comp regenerating and make a difficult layering scheme. as for layering schemes all my layers are on except ony in xrefs where i chose to turn them off and or on PER specifics of the drawing.

Thanks guys

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 08:51:19 PM »
I'm sooo confused.  I read the poll results that indicate over twice as many prefer MS over PS, then read all the posts and it seems the other way round.  Have I missed something???

Okay, we use LAYOUT tabs for everything EXCEPT the model itself, and a very few annotation elements that we want to see in "EVERY" file no matter what.

Now whether we're working on the model in the Model Tab, or through a paperspace viewport, depends on what we're doing at the time.  Usually we work in the Model Tab with multiple viewports while we're building the model, and rarely go to a layout tab until we're ready to begin annotation or make a model review plot.  Now, once we've begun annotation, we'll spend a lot of time in Layout tabs, reaching in through a viewport or two to edit the model in some way.

It is my experiance that those who do a lot of "model" work through PS viewports are unaware that you can use the VPORTS command in a Model tab to create "tiled" viewports.

For us, EVERYTHING is plotted from a layout tab (or tabs), including charts, and schedules. No drawing is fully MS, but some are fully PS.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 09:37:21 PM »
Sure hate to lack originality, but please just tag my name on the bottom of Mr. Cadaver's post.

Alternatively I could just say the same thing in my words.

Yeah, I thought so too.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 09:42:52 PM »
The two posts above CADaver's & MP's are how I feel as well.
I drink beer and I know things....